Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

8 hours ago, Sandhole said:

It was a brave move Jesse.
You were right, it looks cleaner and the track layout makes 'more sense'. now.
Regards,
Chris.

Nothing like a rip and re do to spark your enthusiasm again aye 

• Like 1

I do have to admit, my next layout will be a prototype layout, so much easier! 

You look at a photograph or a track plan and go right that goes there. No head scratching wondering if this will fit here or if that works there. 

I have seen the light!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

You look at a photograph or a track plan and go right that goes there. No head scratching wondering if this will fit here or if that works there. 

I always thought that would be the appeal of a layout that was roughly based on an actual location, you can revert to the prototype for specific, but make the adjustments you want. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

I always thought that would be the appeal of a layout that was roughly based on an actual location, you can revert to the prototype for specific, but make the adjustments you want. 

I agree, but the only prototype bits of Brighton Junction is the setting of near  Grantham and the train formations 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Agreed! 

Until, that is, what is supposed to be there does not fit the space available. Choice then is to compress or omit.....or build a bigger shed:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

Agreed! 

Until, that is, what is supposed to be there does not fit the space available. Choice then is to compress or omit.....or build a bigger shed:)

Bigger shed will be from The start!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Now I do remember saying I’d have the new track wired up by the end of the week. Can we change that to another date? :laugh:

Im going through a massive clean up, again, so hopefully be more posts in the coming weeks. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 23/06/2020 at 02:45, Barry O said:

Jesse

Save money..by a High Level Kit gearbox and a motor. You could put them together easily and you can choose where it will fit and the gearboc ratio. Ask Jonathan to see if he ising this combination in his J6.

Baz

Unfortunately right now you cannot get a High Level Gearbox.   I have one on order for my Nu-Cast J6 , but for now it is running very nicely with a DJH Gearbox.  It will have to remain partially finished until I can get a gearbox and motor.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Unfortunately right now you cannot get a High Level Gearbox.   I have one on order for my Nu-Cast J6 , but for now it is running very nicely with a DJH Gearbox.  It will have to remain partially finished until I can get a gearbox and motor.

Same gears different method of sales.  And the motors are a lot cheaper elsewhere for the DJH motors.

Nice weathering there Jesse. What method have you been using? 

It is one area I would like to know more about. This includes in no particular order - powders and air brushes. I find it brings out detail hidden by the livery or on plan black locos! 

9 hours ago, DougN said:

Nice weathering there Jesse. What method have you been using? 

It is one area I would like to know more about. This includes in no particular order - powders and air brushes. I find it brings out detail hidden by the livery or on plan black locos! 

Thanks Doug, how are you anyway? 

bloody victorians just want all the details and not a word of hello :wink_mini:

I claim no credit for the weathering technique, I follow Jonathan’s method, mix of five different paints. I’ll post them up later. 

Basically you mix them all together with some thinners and cover the area you want weathered, It should run into all the little corners. Then I let it dry for about 15-20 minutes, then the cotton buds come out. Using vertical movements you wash the paint away, if you want a really dirty area that’s all you. Otherwise if you want a half clean but in use wagon you then go over the area again with a dry cotton bud and it wipes away most of the paint but leaves some in the small corners and in between  the planks. Then I use brown weathering powders are the running gear to show dirt. After that, if it’s a considerably dirty wagon like coal wagons I use black powders all over it. 

I don’t use varnish as I can never get a nice finish it always ruin the hour or so you’ve spent on it. Tom foster I believe has the same problem. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I don’t use varnish as I can never get a nice finish it always ruin the hour or so you’ve spent on it. Tom foster I believe has the same problem. 

Hi Jesse

I do not put varnish on stock primarily because it gives a uniform finish to the model, and you lose the subtlety of the weathering. As I say to my clients, if you handle with care, you shouldn't have an issue.

Those wagons look superb!

Edited by Tom F
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Hi Jesse

I do not put varnish on stock primarily because it gives a uniform finish to the model, and you lose the subtlety of the weathering. As I say to my clients, if you handle with care, you shouldn't have an issue.

Those wagons look superb!

I agree Tom, the old three fingers three buffers handling.

Thanks mate, so many more to go….

you joining the Skype call tomorrow?

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I agree Tom, the old three fingers three buffers handling.

Thanks mate, so many more to go….

you joining the Skype call tomorrow?

Cheers Jesse

Thanks, but I’ll probably pass. I doubt my ramblings are of much interest these days.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Thanks Doug, how are you anyway? 

bloody victorians just want all the details and not a word of hello :wink_mini:

Really, my birth certificate says NSW!!!!!!:D:jester: Been a while It would be great to catch up some time as I have been flat out with all kinds of work.! I have been keeping a lowish profile. If you checkout the 

thread of the buildings I have been putting together though I want to get back to my V2's. I needed the relaxing side of the hobby rather than the challanging! 

I'll just keep an eye on what you are doing!! 

Edited by DougN
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DougN said:

Really, my birth certificate says NSW!!!!!!:D:jester: Been a while It would be great to catch up some time as I have been flat out with all kinds of work.! I have been keeping a lowish profile. If you checkout the 

thread of the buildings I have been putting together though I want to get back to my V2's. I needed the relaxing side of the hobby rather than the challanging! 

I'll just keep an eye on what you are doing!! 

Won’t be catching up for a while again, two weeks lockdown……

Ill check it out! 

• Friendly/supportive 5