Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Jesse, those are looking great.

I am not sure how your going with paints all I can really get hold of here in Melbourne is Humbrol, Tamyia and other main stream brands but not the Precision paints or Cherry paints as can be helpful for the UK liveries. Next time your heading over to the UK it would be worth stocking up as the retailers can't post to Australia with out ridiculous levels of "hazardous" paperwork. You can bring in small volumes in "checked baggage". I know a reasonable number of people have done this!

Next time I think I will be collecting "LNER greens", teak undercoat and the 2 top coats, LNER wagon grey(which seems to be darker) and bauxite,  just a tin of each as they last a long time! Thankfully I have enough to keep me going for another 5 years I think so I don't run out as the other half would kill me if I said lets go to the UK as I have run out of paint. 

Jesse, those are looking great.

I am not sure how your going with paints all I can really get hold of here in Melbourne is Humbrol, Tamyia and other main stream brands but not the Precision paints or Cherry paints as can be helpful for the UK liveries. Next time your heading over to the UK it would be worth stocking up as the retailers can't post to Australia with out ridiculous levels of "hazardous" paperwork. You can bring in small volumes in "checked baggage". I know a reasonable number of people have done this!

Next time I think I will be collecting "LNER greens", teak undercoat and the 2 top coats, LNER wagon grey(which seems to be darker) and bauxite,  just a tin of each as they last a long time! Thankfully I have enough to keep me going for another 5 years I think so I don't run out as the other half would kill me if I said lets go to the UK as I have run out of paint. 

I know its ridiculous getting anything like that sent here. 

I'll be over in August so I will stock up then. I have railmatch teak, need some red oxide and grey now. Have to shop around to find a suitable match. 

Hi Jesse,

If you need red oxide, Dulux Metalsheild Red Oxide undercoat in a spray can available from Bunnings is a excellent match to Red Oxide of the BR box vans.

I will have to check when I next go out to the shed. If it is different title/description I will let you know.

Mark

LNER wagon grey(which seems to be darker)

I've tried Humbrol 67 which gives a nice dark grey finish, or 106 with some black added. Nick Campling has been telling us for years that LNER wagon grey was close to GWR and Humbrol 67 is quite close to Precision GWR wagon grey. I try to use a slightly different shade on each wagon anyway, it looks more realistic when they're weathered, so mix and match as you can.

Jesse, you've only put a 3 link coupling on that fitted van until you get hold of a screw link, am I right?

I've tried Humbrol 67 which gives a nice dark grey finish, or 106 with some black added. Nick Campling has been telling us for years that LNER wagon grey was close to GWR and Humbrol 67 is quite close to Precision GWR wagon grey. I try to use a slightly different shade on each wagon anyway, it looks more realistic when they're weathered, so mix and match as you can.

Jesse, you've only put a 3 link coupling on that fitted van until you get hold of a screw link, am I right?

Thanks Jonathan, ill have a look around tomorrow. 

Yeah I was just checking how it ran under pressure, with other wagons connected to it. I need to find some screw links that are cheap, they were a tad expensive at my local store. They would have been alright if i was buying....one! But, I need a few.....hundred, so need to find somewhere that sells by the pallet. 

Hi Jesse,

If you need red oxide, Dulux Metalsheild Red Oxide undercoat in a spray can available from Bunnings is a excellent match to Red Oxide of the BR box vans.

I will have to check when I next go out to the shed. If it is different title/description I will let you know.

Mark

Cheers Mark,

Always love an excuse to go to Bunnings!!!!!! 

When are the snags on? 

Jesse 

So depending on what time this uploads, let's say it's around midnight and I just walked in from the Train Room. 

Geez, after a hard day today working in the heat I thought sitting at my work bench in the air conditioning wasn't a bad idea. I didn't even realise the time until I grabbed my phone to take the following photos. Sorry Mum, sorry dad.  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

post-25906-0-50362300-1517316002_thumb.jpg

Started on another Parkside Kit, a GWR Fish Van. I'll finish it off tomorrow. 

post-25906-0-20077600-1517316472_thumb.jpg

As I said I didn't realise the time, I decided to start on the Ratio Signal box interior kit. I trimmed down the length of arms needed to suite my needs. I realised there is a stove with a chimney, but the Signal box roof didn't have a chimney. Well, luckily I had my drill handy, hehe!! 

post-25906-0-71241600-1517316038_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-78949500-1517316078_thumb.jpg

I will have to cut the plastic chimney supplied and make my own, so its higher. 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 5

Hi Everyone

Jonathan I'm most interested in your comment that Nick Campling has been saying for years that LNER wagon grey was close to GW wagon grey. I've painted most of the LNER unfitted wagons I've built in a mid-lightish grey - mostly using the old Gloy LNER wagon grey which I got probably 35-40 years ago. That colour appears to be very similar to Railmatch LNER wagon grey - I got a bottle of that in the UK last year but haven't actually used any of it yet. I also have some Precision LNER wagon grey, obtained from the estate of one of our BRMA members a few years ago - again I haven't used that but based on the swathe of colour on the lid it appears to be more of a mid to dark grey. I guess in reality the colour varied quite a lot as we have heard many times that old paint residues were tipped into a bucket/bin and used on wagons.  I have picked up quite a number of kit-built LNER wagons second-hand over the years from a mate here in Adelaide and he has painted most of those a mid-dark grey so I actually have a vast array of grey colours amongst my stock of LNER wagons. 

I have had a quick look through David Jenkinson's The Big Four in Colour and from the few glimpses of LNER unfitted wagons in there they appear to be a mid grey which presumably would weather to a lighter colour and or else they have been a darker grey and have now weathered to a mid grey? 

I wonder which paint I'll use next time I build some unfitted wagons?

Andrew

Hi Everyone

Jonathan I'm most interested in your comment that Nick Campling has been saying for years that LNER wagon grey was close to GW wagon grey. I've painted most of the LNER unfitted wagons I've built in a mid-lightish grey - mostly using the old Gloy LNER wagon grey which I got probably 35-40 years ago. That colour appears to be very similar to Railmatch LNER wagon grey - I got a bottle of that in the UK last year but haven't actually used any of it yet. I also have some Precision LNER wagon grey, obtained from the estate of one of our BRMA members a few years ago - again I haven't used that but based on the swathe of colour on the lid it appears to be more of a mid to dark grey. I guess in reality the colour varied quite a lot as we have heard many times that old paint residues were tipped into a bucket/bin and used on wagons.  I have picked up quite a number of kit-built LNER wagons second-hand over the years from a mate here in Adelaide and he has painted most of those a mid-dark grey so I actually have a vast array of grey colours amongst my stock of LNER wagons. 

I have had a quick look through David Jenkinson's The Big Four in Colour and from the few glimpses of LNER unfitted wagons in there they appear to be a mid grey which presumably would weather to a lighter colour and or else they have been a darker grey and have now weathered to a mid grey? 

I wonder which paint I'll use next time I build some unfitted wagons?

Andrew

How clean are the wagons. If clean and mid grey they will lighten to light with age. If dirty then dark grey to mid. If that makes sense. Or would it be the other way around, with darkening over time?

This may not be the post I remembered, but it covers the point and broadens it a little. Nick Campling, Dec 2012: Re the shade on LNER wagon grey. I am sure that I have posted this before but possibly not on this forum. The paint for LNER wagons, and many other items, was mixed in a domestic galvanised dustbin, and the painters refilled their kettles from these. Now depending on how often they were stirred, how far down the bin they were and how much had separated out, the rsultant dip could vary considerably from a lighter almost LMS grey to the darker GWR grey. You pays your money and takes your choice. Gloss paints as topcoats did not come in until the late 1930s.

Peter Tatlow quotes this same explanation which was originally given to us by the paint shop foreman at the Plant in 1964 who when shown a set of samples of different shades (actually for Humbrol) stated that all five of the shades would be correct and then went on to explain why.

• RMweb Premium

A bit like "battleship grey" the colour depends on lots of variables. Another good reason to have Midland lake or MMS maroon on coaches as they weremixedto a specific set of pigments.

Baz

Question is is NER coach crimson lake the same colour?

Barry this is the really big problem that I have been chasing for about 2 months. From your end in the uk it is rover damask red. But fromAustralia I can't find any one that stocks the colour!

Ps I hope you had a great trip!

The signal box has been painted, just waiting for an LED to go in order to get a nice photo 

Funnily enough when I started painting, with a very small brush, all my mates said it would be easy, so to prove a point I got Mitch, my wiring helper to have a go at painting the bookshelf that went inside. Lets just say that  I'm lucky that I'm not modelling a library. 

post-25906-0-39548800-1518063277_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-28769500-1518063301_thumb.jpg

Here's the Parkside Bloater fish van from the earlier post...

post-25906-0-89852900-1518063203_thumb.jpg

and here it is as of last night, with painting completed and one side of the lettering and weathering all round to go. 

post-25906-0-46458800-1518063330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Barry this is the really big problem that I have been chasing for about 2 months. From your end in the uk it is rover damask red. But fromAustralia I can't find any one that stocks the colour!

Ps I hope you had a great trip!

Doug, when I get home at the weekend I'll try to remember to check what I use as an equivalent.

Jesse, you asked about tare weights for the S8 Bloater. I have no GWR literature so I borrowed some when I did these, but the lettering layouts and tares are taken from photographs.

s8vans_zps8327684d.jpg

(if you can read the back one you have better eyesight than me).

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jesse, you asked about tare weights for the S8 Bloater. I have no GWR literature so I borrowed some when I did these, but the lettering layouts and tares are taken from photographs.

s8vans_zps8327684d.jpg

(if you can read the back one you have better eyesight than me).

Jesse, your model looks fine but as per Jonathan's photos above you need to add the load capacity (10 tons) and the tare (empty weight). None of the photos I have in books are clear enough to read this but the drawing in Russell's GWR Coaches Part 2 states that the tare is 11 tons 16 cwt. This will vary by a few cwt for individual wagons so use anything that is a few cwt either side of 12 tons, again as Jonathan has done above.

• RMweb Premium

Jesse, your model looks fine but as per Jonathan's photos above you need to add the load capacity (10 tons) and the tare (empty weight). None of the photos I have in books are clear enough to read this but the drawing in Russell's GWR Coaches Part 2 states that the tare is 11 tons 16 cwt. This will vary by a few cwt for individual wagons so use anything that is a few cwt either side of 12 tons, again as Jonathan has done above.

Here's a photo (provided by bgman of this parish) of a preserved Bloater at Didcot. The tare is 11 t 6 cwt.

post-21039-0-99447800-1518521345.jpg

The paint finally arrived on Monday, so track spraying commenced. 

Decided on starting at the South end, as there are a few dropper wires that need to be soldered still in the North end. 

Here's what the track looked like before spraying, with the masking off nearing an end. 

post-25906-0-39649500-1518637210_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-38820500-1518637243_thumb.jpg

I spray the sides of the track at a near enough 90 degree angle, with Mitch taking over the other side, (pictured), he still needs some practice though! I found a couple of blank areas he missed, bloody amateurs!   :sarcastic:

post-25906-0-64392000-1518637690_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-57665000-1518637272_thumb.jpg

That was completed on Tuesday, stage one is complete. 

post-25906-0-49601300-1518637323_thumb.jpg

The second stage is the painting of the sleepers, by simply spraying directly downward on to the track. Hopefully the sides of the rail are protected and still give off the lighter shade of the first colour. This is the method used by Graham of the Grantham layout, although he sprays his track before pinning it to the baseboards. 

post-25906-0-19621500-1518637541_thumb.jpg 

post-25906-0-89846200-1518637554_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-25901500-1518637644_thumb.jpg

Mitch thinks he is somewhat of a photographer with all those low level shots! 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Decided on starting at the South end, as there are a few dropper wires that need to be soldered still in the North end. 

Here's what the track looked like before spraying, with the masking off nearing an end. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0588.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0590.JPG

I spray the sides of the track at a near enough 90 degree angle, with Mitch taking over the other side, (pictured), he still needs some practice though! I found a couple of blank areas he missed, bloody amateurs!   :sarcastic:

attachicon.gifIMG_0624.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0592.JPG

That was completed on Tuesday, stage one is complete. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0604.JPG

The second stage is the painting of the sleepers, by simply spraying directly downward on to the track. Hopefully the sides of the rail are protected and still give off the lighter shade of the first colour. This is the method used by Graham of the Grantham layout, although he sprays his track before pinning it to the baseboards. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0606.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0617.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0619.JPG

Mitch thinks he is somewhat of a photographer with all those low level shots! 

What paint is it Jesse?

• RMweb Premium

Interested in the way you're doing this Jesse. I'm watching the techniques of others while I'm waiting for a property to be sold before I can start my re-start project.

I like your railway room as well, steam trains, fast cars, piston engine aircraft! Yes!

Interested in the way you're doing this Jesse. I'm watching the techniques of others while I'm waiting for a property to be sold before I can start my re-start project.

I like your railway room as well, steam trains, fast cars, piston engine aircraft! Yes!

Thanks Trevor, 

I have only copied the work of a friend, however he sprays his track before laying it. I prefer to spray it once it has already been laid, as then all of the plastic joiners, metal joiners, soldered dropper wires, etc etc, are painted over. 

Both still work effectively. 

Cheers for the comments, I do like my cars, anything old for a matter of fact. 

• Like 1