Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

14 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Jesse,

I like the look of the milk train. What is the origin of the tankers? Can you say a bit about what you’re doing to them? 

Pack your milk brake well for its journey to NZ - that resin is very brittle.

Regards

Andy

The milk tanks are converted from Hornby wagons. Now I didn’t come up with the idea, I’m mimicking Jonathan Wealleans work. 

It’s a pretty straight forward job, you pull it all apart and get rid of the 6 supports and make up 4 in its place. Using the mainly trains etch from Wizards add brake shoes and change the brake levers.

FFA725FC-D39F-43B7-BCFD-A7C0656DDAD4.jpeg.7f81e4bcb95552de32f95d62344a1b05.jpeg

Then everything goes back on, the side supports and the ladder. Then you add supports that go over the tank and accros the front. Which I haven’t done yet, waiting for the transfers to arrive. 

Here’s Jonathan’s finished wagon that I’ve been using as a guide

5459C734-726A-498B-8612-2B8FB98FDDB0.png.1e1d392596e91900d40761b762e9a888.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid the detailed coverage of the conversion was in the RMWeb archive and disappeared with that.  I built these in February - March 2008.   I worked from the drawing in the blue Historic Carriage Drawings book and used Hornby tanks as the basis (I looked at the Dapol ones but the Hornby was a much better model).

These are the pictures I still have:

100_3628.jpg.271f25506b74924baec761fca27b7ce4.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

mt_1.JPG.f8ebf2e10b12a67cb8bd9205544b0dde.JPG

mt_2.JPG.bfd3fff91f9de70734c6d1bd45e740a4.JPG

100_3626.jpg.e8903db11b14c602c1487324d7188008.jpg

100_3627.jpg.cb11e7241bee1e0bc317abea9886e9fa.jpg

milkt.JPG.bdf1662e798a7ace042c8f48e0b5ef7b.JPGmilk_van_2.JPG.9112b78007d6fdb92406331114d7c70e.JPG

If I were doing them again, I'd use proper turnbuckles on the tank straps, now I know you can get them (Grandt Line, I think).  Otherwise the main difficulty is finding enough solid areas on the underframe to stick everything to.    I'm also not completely convinced the livery is correct, but I couldn't find enough information to improve on what was available (ModelMaster).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

I've been practicing mate, given that you're close enough to feasibly pay me a visit if I mess up!

50687636198_146287b6ea_h.jpg

Looks like you can do a better job that I can. 

I’ll learn eventually how to do it, but at least I can concentrate on another project while it’s in your hands. 

Speaking of the other project......

FF5A2B58-B10E-4B04-9102-DD39D7879053.jpeg.61f46c8d69deb6cdfe23c9173aa963b3.jpeg

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Funnily enough, I was wondering this morning whether you'd at last got that parcel of parts, then I looked at the computer...

Straight into it after work this arvo, a quick look on your thread and found what I needed to do............and then you send me the instructions. 

Thanks for all that Mr King, I’ll have a look at that B5 also for the different types of fittings I want to use. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering it’s been raining non stop for the last week, it was perfect weather for some modelling. 

Ive had some finished wagons for a while sitting here without any transfers on them, so I decided to crack on.

First up from the left is a NER F10 scratching using a Hornby wagon, Jonathan Wealleans showed me how to do this and Graeme King showed him how to do it, so cheers to the both of you. Another is on workbench but it will be one that was downgraded to fish duties. Next is a 51L NER perishables van and then a DS GCR perishables van, I hope I’ve lettered it correctly as it came without instructions and I can’t find any photo of one for a reference. 

C8A06863-4393-48A9-ACDE-0FF249737794.jpeg.c00e96444bccd8fa0a81c426b5a0140c.jpeg

Next we have a DS LNER perishable van, I decided on adding the “return to” on the door for a bit of variety. Then we have two of Graeme Kings resin meat conflats, one is finished and the other awaiting transfers, which I’ll probably do tomorrow. I have another two to build. But I need some bits and bobs from various suppliers to finish them. 

023530E8-8F90-4A22-B31E-B521CAE8CCF1.jpeg.7c54205853b5efad37e196fc78c443d1.jpeg

These will all be for the Meat train, however I’m running out of kits to use in the meat train, does anyone have any lying around from either Danny or David Geen? Or anyone? If you have a spare one or two I’m happy to pay for them, I just can’t find any at all.

Now my painting skills are pretty limited at the moment, one day I’ll get better, black locos and wagons I can handle but green.....

So I asked fellow BRMA member Charles Rudder if he’d paint a B2 for me.

Heres said B2 when it arrived after purchasing it of Tony Wright about 3 years ago, it was a pain, I couldn’t get it to run properly, but finally after many years I have gotten her to run beautifully. But the paint needed to go! 

From this:

5892024A-476A-4F94-9C07-48941E697834.jpeg.42d52cc84c0510cdf36cd8e3bcf9f3c4.jpeg

To this:

8D45781C-724B-407B-81F1-B7DF8D02833F.jpeg.9f62f5f003d1858811ddb6ab4253a327.jpeg

I think Charles has done a fantastic job, can’t wait to see it in the flesh and then ruin it with my lining.....

When it’s back up and running I’ll be sure to post a photo. 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

I don't think anyone else has done a whitemetal one.   There was a brass one which Pat Ryan used to sell, but whatever range that was ceased a long time ago.   I think I had his last one.  Morgan Gilbert built one in full GC livery and a thing of utter beauty it was.

• Informative/Useful 1

As Baz says, white metal = K's, later Nu-Cast, no longer available.

I think Pat Ryan's etched kit was possibly formerly "Jaylines" and Morgan's superb model was "based on" rather than built directly from that kit, much being replaced or altered to achieve the correct sizes, shapes and details. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Sir might know, if he pops over to this humble thread. 

I’d like to know who built it. 

I dip into this thread every day..................

Yes, it is K's (builder unknown, but probably now no more).

It came from the estate of a deceased modeller, but I don't think he built it. 

I did get it to go before I sold it to you, Jesse. I won't sell anything on as a non-/very-poor-runner, unless that's made clear. I suppose sticking a chip in it caused its running demise!

I'm sure it'll be a splendid loco when it's finished.

Regards,

Tony. 

I should have known it was the Ks kit. For some reason when I first looked at it this morning I thought it wasn't.

I built my City of Lincoln in 1987 from that kit and also my conversion to  Valour in 1992, both kits bought locally here in Adelaide which was highly unusual. I still have a spare unmade Nucast version which has a better chassis which I put away to be built as a B7 but of course there's no need for that now so assuming I have time one day I might build Sir Sam himself.

Andrew

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I dip into this thread every day..................

Yes, it is K's (builder unknown, but probably now no more).

It came from the estate of a deceased modeller, but I don't think he built it. 

I did get it to go before I sold it to you, Jesse. I won't sell anything on as a non-/very-poor-runner, unless that's made clear. I suppose sticking a chip in it caused its running demise!

I'm sure it'll be a splendid loco when it's finished.

Regards,

Tony. 

I know you do, I didn’t mean that comment in a negative way. 

Shame about not knowing, always like to know, there was no signature underneath either. 

She did run, just not very well, I don’t think she liked DCC, but she’s running like a horse now. I believe the tighter curves I had on the layout before the rebuilding caused some problems. Now with 4ft curves on all four corners everything flows better. 

It was still a splendid loco sitting in the drawer that’s why I wanted to tinker with it. It’s amazing how one day you just have an idea and then a problems gone and you’ve got something running. Experience or an opposite brain fart? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well, another milestone reached for Brighton Junction, Proper scenery started! 

Ive spent the last 6-8 months searching and planning for what material to use as grass on the cuttings. I couldn’t find the right hanging basket liner, teddy bear fur was looking expensive and the painting didn’t turn out good either. I ended up stumbling across Heaton Lodge Junction’s Rmweb page and I loved the look of what Simon (is it Simon? Apologies if not) created with static grass to replicate a Wintery look. I thought everyone does Summer and the first time I landed in England was a week out before Winter started. I was hooked! I won’t go on about how I applied the grass as it’s already on Heaton Lodge’s thread. 

I ordered everything I needed and decided to give it a crack today. 

Here I am going for gold with the mullet flowing behind me. I can hear Tony groaning already and yes that’s a new tattoo on my left arm....

FC0DC93E-22A4-43E8-A52F-D3A837D22DFF.jpeg.b10a71522bf32b4dd92ebe7e2de10a36.jpeg

Here is the finished product on half of the left hand side embankment. 

D911F8FA-EAE6-468E-A75B-83DB89473B13.jpeg.f40cca14247601341d33a2f4a9491355.jpeg

A friend of mine arrived for our daily alcoholic beverage, so we just kept going, here he is here after I said don’t smile just keep working. It’s okay I gave him a good flogging for not listening to me. 

F0549EBF-46F4-4D2E-8A23-A1E1C9432040.jpeg.655eb63e07b033114b7c1cc6f78724a2.jpeg

Once again the finished product around the tunnel mouth 

3701D8EA-E2FB-4F09-8797-5A7440A8C910.jpeg.75339f0207fdc72f531192dba274292c.jpeg

Still plenty to do, but at least the scenery is started now. I’ll add more to the grass like weeds and small bushes but keeping in the fact that the embankments were always kept neat and tidy pre-war. 

It looks very effective Jesse, 

Great progress.

And yes, I did groan!

Just one lesson for today. The four seasons are not proper nouns, so don't need a capital letter. 

Let's hope that eventually Mo and I can see Brighton Junction in the flesh again, and that you can visit us once more. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice going, Jesse - that doesn't look half bad. I certainly prefer more of a yellowy-brown tinge to lineside vegetation rather than lush green, although that is somewhat season dependent.

Mixing in some random bits of small vegetation will certainly help with the overall effect. My simple suggestion would be to study pictures of the real thing - apologies if you're already doing this - and use that as your basis. Yes, they were kept well-managed (post-war as well, incidentally - they had to be as long as steam locos were around, otherwise the steam locos would do their job for them in a rather uncontrolled way) but it's surprising how much subtle variation there could be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It looks very effective Jesse, 

Great progress.

And yes, I did groan!

Just one lesson for today. The four seasons are not proper nouns, so don't need a capital letter. 

Let's hope that eventually Mo and I can see Brighton Junction in the flesh again, and that you can visit us once more. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, it certainly is starting to look like a model railway now. 

I’m sure you will make it over again, I hope the travel opens up again, might not be for a year or two, but it will. 

Technically that wasn’t my fault, I asked Mum and she said it needed a capital, so I’ll pass on her phone number! 

• Funny 3

37 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Nice going, Jesse - that doesn't look half bad. I certainly prefer more of a yellowy-brown tinge to lineside vegetation rather than lush green, although that is somewhat season dependent.

Mixing in some random bits of small vegetation will certainly help with the overall effect. My simple suggestion would be to study pictures of the real thing - apologies if you're already doing this - and use that as your basis. Yes, they were kept well-managed (post-war as well, incidentally - they had to be as long as steam locos were around, otherwise the steam locos would do their job for them in a rather uncontrolled way) but it's surprising how much subtle variation there could be.

Cheers Red Leader, I have been studying photos as well, not as much as I should be..... 

I have heard of locos setting the grass on fire, there are one or two spots where the tracks are close to the embankment. I might trim it back or singe it somehow what do you think? 

7 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I have heard of locos setting the grass on fire,

Talk to Craig or Paul.  Just after I joined at Ormesby they did a burnt patch on Pilmoor, very effectively.  I'm sure they'll let you know how they did it.

A pile of beaters leaning on the fence next to it was a nice touch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Talk to Craig or Paul.  Just after I joined at Ormesby they did a burnt patch on Pilmoor, very effectively.  I'm sure they'll let you know how they did it.

A pile of beaters leaning on the fence next to it was a nice touch.

There was a burnt patch of cutting on Stoke Summit, Jonathan. 

I just plucked out most of the 'vegetation', then applied various acrylic shades representing burnt foliage/ash. 

People used to as if I'd actually set fire to it! A compliment to the modelling, I suppose.

It can be seen ahead of the B1.

49693098_1861208rear.jpg.f15c3b7ef31a553ac39cf82ecffeef0a.jpg

I think it's sometimes forgotten that in steam days 'controlled burns' were often undertaken. Certainly, the Bytham gang (sadly not one member surviving now) used to do this, to ensure that no further fires caused by a loco chucking out a cinder would then occur. 

Some 21 years ago, Dick Blenkinsop provided me with several photographs he'd taken on Stoke Bank between the summit and Creeton (just north of Little Bytham). He was out photographing SIR NIGEL GRESLEY during its post-War record-breaking run in the early summer of 1959. Just out of interest (and this was 20 years ago), I tried to reproduce some of his views. Would it surprise anyone that this (apart from one shot taken off the tall bridge just south of the summit) was impossible? Just mature trees everywhere, blocking any chance. And that was 20 years ago. They're even more mature now!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well, another milestone reached for Brighton Junction, Proper scenery started! 

Ive spent the last 6-8 months searching and planning for what material to use as grass on the cuttings. I couldn’t find the right hanging basket liner, teddy bear fur was looking expensive and the painting didn’t turn out good either. I ended up stumbling across Heaton Lodge Junction’s Rmweb page and I loved the look of what Simon (is it Simon? Apologies if not) created with static grass to replicate a Wintery look. I thought everyone does Summer and the first time I landed in England was a week out before Winter started. I was hooked! I won’t go on about how I applied the grass as it’s already on Heaton Lodge’s thread. 

I ordered everything I needed and decided to give it a crack today. 

Here I am going for gold with the mullet flowing behind me. I can hear Tony groaning already and yes that’s a new tattoo on my left arm....

FC0DC93E-22A4-43E8-A52F-D3A837D22DFF.jpeg.b10a71522bf32b4dd92ebe7e2de10a36.jpeg

Here is the finished product on half of the left hand side embankment. 

D911F8FA-EAE6-468E-A75B-83DB89473B13.jpeg.f40cca14247601341d33a2f4a9491355.jpeg

A friend of mine arrived for our daily alcoholic beverage, so we just kept going, here he is here after I said don’t smile just keep working. It’s okay I gave him a good flogging for not listening to me. 

F0549EBF-46F4-4D2E-8A23-A1E1C9432040.jpeg.655eb63e07b033114b7c1cc6f78724a2.jpeg

Once again the finished product around the tunnel mouth 

3701D8EA-E2FB-4F09-8797-5A7440A8C910.jpeg.75339f0207fdc72f531192dba274292c.jpeg

Still plenty to do, but at least the scenery is started now. I’ll add more to the grass like weeds and small bushes but keeping in the fact that the embankments were always kept neat and tidy pre-war. 

Looking good, Jesse.

You've beaten me to it, i'm going to try the same on Hadley Green once i've finished extending the boards.

I also got the idea from Simon. It does look very effective on Heaton Lodge Junction.

Regards,

Geoff.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

There was a burnt patch of cutting on Stoke Summit, Jonathan. 

I just plucked out most of the 'vegetation', then applied various acrylic shades representing burnt foliage/ash. 

People used to as if I'd actually set fire to it! A compliment to the modelling, I suppose.

It can be seen ahead of the B1.

49693098_1861208rear.jpg.f15c3b7ef31a553ac39cf82ecffeef0a.jpg

I think it's sometimes forgotten that in steam days 'controlled burns' were often undertaken. Certainly, the Bytham gang (sadly not one member surviving now) used to do this, to ensure that no further fires caused by a loco chucking out a cinder would then occur. 

Some 21 years ago, Dick Blenkinsop provided me with several photographs he'd taken on Stoke Bank between the summit and Creeton (just north of Little Bytham). He was out photographing SIR NIGEL GRESLEY during its post-War record-breaking run in the early summer of 1959. Just out of interest (and this was 20 years ago), I tried to reproduce some of his views. Would it surprise anyone that this (apart from one shot taken off the tall bridge just south of the summit) was impossible? Just mature trees everywhere, blocking any chance. And that was 20 years ago. They're even more mature now!

Regards,

Tony. 

It looks fab Tony. You've modeled it very well.

Regards Lez.