Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Indeed I am, I’ll be there both days, because what’s the point of flying half way around the world to attend one day at Warley, my wallet won’t like it.....but yes, I’ll be there. 

Pop over to B08 and have a chat. It would be good to meet up

Keep up the great modelling 

57 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Try some dark weathering powder while your paint is stillslightly wet. It will give a texture to the soot.

Baz

The soot was all done by weathering powders. 

Powder, then paint, then powder then a clear coat. 

• Like 1

Here she is all finished, just need to add a little more to the end where the coal train stands. But apart from

that I’m quite happy with it. 

First time scratch building a bridge and then first time weathering a bridge with an air brush and powders combined. 

5A8B51DF-55AF-4447-ADEA-AD89E3E33589.png

00C6C968-2DA8-4EC7-85D9-067CA0931ABE.png

The white strands look really white, but it’s the camera, they are quite dark. 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Here she is all finished, just need to add a little more to the end where the coal train stands. But apart from

that I’m quite happy with it. 

First time scratch building a bridge and then first time weathering a bridge with an air brush and powders combined. 

5A8B51DF-55AF-4447-ADEA-AD89E3E33589.png

00C6C968-2DA8-4EC7-85D9-067CA0931ABE.png

The white strands look really white, but it’s the camera, they are quite dark. 

It's looking very good, Jesse,

Now all you have to do is weather those wagons as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's looking very good, Jesse,

Now all you have to do is weather those wagons as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks Tony, 

indeed i do, I started on the empty wagons, by painting out planks as if they have been replaced over the years. Still determining on how to weather them, by air brush or powders....

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Many thanks Tony, 

indeed i do, I started on the empty wagons, by painting out planks as if they have been replaced over the years. Still determining on how to weather them, by air brush or powders....

Jesse,

Weathering method depends on the standard you are trying to achieve. You could spend ages on each wagon achieving perfection. But on a layout your size, I think you would go mad pretty quickly. 

Personally, I spend 5-10 minutes per wagon, which is quite enough when you have 100+ to do. I don’t think airbrushing is necessary. I use a mix of Humbrol 27004 (metalcote), 33 (Matt black), a grey and a brown (64 and 62 but it doesn’t really matter). Use more matt black than the others and vary the proportions for variety. Then brush it on well thinned down and wash off with thinners as required to leave it in the less accessible areas. Leave it to dry for a couple of hours, and then use powders to add some relief - e.g. rust on metal bits to highlight rivets and soot on coal wagons. The powders should stick to the semi dry paint and not need varnishing.

I hope this is useful.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Even easier spray with matt varnish Testors Dullcote is the best i have used, and then weather with powders. No need to seal them, the powder will "catch" on the varnish.

You can then always wash the powder off with water if you ever want to sell them. Many people prefer unweathered models.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Baz

Please let me know if you are coming to South Australia again as I would like to meet you.

Andrew

Andrew, sadly not this time.

Her indoors has Sydney, Perth and Brisbane on our places to visit.

Hopefully we will be back again in 2022.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...