Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice to see your Mum and Dad.. pass on my regards Jeese

(Legomanbiffo does a very nice Deltic sound chip)

Baz

They go alright, I will. 

I just ordered one through the local hobby shop from wherever they get there’s 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After a good thrashing around on Tony’s layout she was popped back in the box and she’s been sitting in my cupboard since. Yesterday I brought a chip, fitted her with it and Mum was finally able to run

I'm glad I continued reading the rest of that sentence.  You had me worried for a while.

• Funny 8

On 11/09/2020 at 09:49, Bogie said:

After a good thrashing around on Tony’s layout she was popped back in the box and she’s been sitting in my cupboard since. Yesterday I brought a chip, fitted her with it and Mum was finally able to run

I'm glad I continued reading the rest of that sentence.  You had me worried for a while.

There’s always one isn’t there.... haha 

• Agree 1

Another restoration on my hands, new motor/gearbox combo, wheels, tender and a paint job to unlined black- the easiest of them all. 

But I’m wondering what other modifications I would need to bring her into late 30s...

Im waiting for Andrew Emmett to pounce....

A4B93E2A-43D8-4C18-A9EC-DE83FB3D6B9F.jpeg

• Like 9

Pounce I will indeed!

The key question is boiler height as the pitch of the boiler was higher in the 1930s. At first glance it looks to me like the boiler height might actually be okay which means the model was built incorrectly in the first place. It will need a new chimney and dome for starters.

I'll come back to this a bit later today as I need to go out now and really shouldn't have checked my phone Jesse! I'll compare it with mine.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Pounce I will indeed!

The key question is boiler height as the pitch of the boiler was higher in the 1930s. At first glance it looks to me like the boiler height might actually be okay which means the model was built incorrectly in the first place. It will need a new chimney and dome for starters.

I'll come back to this a bit later today as I need to go out now and really shouldn't have checked my phone Jesse! I'll compare it with mine.

Andrew

I knew you would....

Let’s hope it has been built incorrect then....I know the smoke box sits up a bit high, but I can live that. The tender I’ve read was the same behind J11s, so I could use the one I was going to use for the J10. 

I’ll await your response with everything I’ll need later on. Thanks Andrew. 

Edit: I’ve just checked a photograph and drawing and it sits up a fair bit.....hmmmmm

Edited by Jesse Sim

15 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Good find and just what you need for tonight's discussion.   I think the coal rails were plated in as well but Andrew will no doubt cover that.

It was, a bit pricey, but isn’t everything? 

Tonight’s topic is fish, glad it arrived in time! 

2 hours ago, richard i said:

Safety valve change, atomizer pipe runs added, cinder guards in front of cab cut outs. Starters for ten.

would need front and rear views for others like new smoke box dart, depends on what the builder fitted. 
Richard  

Okay, you’ve spoken complete jibberish to me 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, richard i said:

Safety valve change, atomizer pipe runs added, cinder guards in front of cab cut outs. Starters for ten.

would need front and rear views for others like new smoke box dart, depends on what the builder fitted. 
Richard  

32 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Okay, you’ve spoken complete jibberish to me 

And to think Richard was my kids teacher, no wonder I get no sense out of them. :good:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I thought we were all fluent in Jibberish, and in fact spoke little else.

At a glance I'd agree with Andrew. At least change the chimney and dome for a 1930s reboilered, superheated fish engine. Boiler pitch looks high enough compared to the cab roof.

I’m still not fluent in jibberish yet....give me time.

Thanks Mr king, what’s the best place to get said parts?

Also, are you by chance able to make anymore of those containers for those meat wagons? 

Right I'm back again.

I built my Millholme B5 in 1987 and that hooked me on the GC 4-6-0s. Even though I've only built two more classes so far - B2 and B3, I have plenty more to build, including another Millholme B5!

I'm presuming Jesse that you don't have Yeadon Vol 22 which covers all the GC 4-6-0s? (by the way David Lord up on the Central Coast had Vol 22 for sale in that deceased estate of books I mentioned to you some while ago now).

I don't have an Isinglass drawing of a B5 but do have a drawing of the original version by Charles Reddy. According to the Reddy drawing the height from the upper footplate to the top of the smokebox on the original version was 24.8 mm. My Millholme kit, built with the higher pitched superheated boiler measures at 27.8 mm for the same measurement so that's 9 inches higher - its meant to be pitched 7 inches higher. I suggest you measure yours - from looking at the photo I would suggest it'll come out near 27mm so close enough as makes no difference for the higher pitched boiler acquired by the various members of the class between 1926 and 1936. You say the smokebox sits up too high so I presume you mean the boiler is not parallel with the footplate? which is a problem.

As indicated before it will need a shorter chimney and dome as well as Ross Pop safety valves in place of the Ramsbottom ones fitted to your model. Your model appears to be fitted incorrectly with twin smokebox door handles - it needs a 4 spoke wheel and single handle as on your Bachmann J11 and O4. The chimney needs to be 1'3" tall - I recently got 5 brass ones from PDK Models in the UK from their D11 kit (as well as 5 short domes from their D11/2 kit for large boilered 4-6-0s and an A5).

The dome you need is probably similar to the medium sized one that Graeme King has made for the G-Train B3 and B7, except those are made to fit a fatter boiler. You will also need a snifting valve behind the chimney.

Another issue is the shape of the spectacles in the cab front. On those with the higher pitched boiler the spectacles didn't wrap around the Belpaire firebox, they were vertical with rounded tops and bottoms. Also on your model the vacuum ejector pipe is wrongly placed it should be behind the handrail not above it. You could also fit an ash ejector which is a horizontal pipe above the handrail from near the front of the smokebox to the front of the boiler.

Minor details you could add include the oil lubrication pipes along the left hand side of the boiler. There is mention above of cinder guards on the cab but I don't think the B5s got these, certainly none of the photos in Yeadon show them.

The tender - on your model sits too low in comparison to the cab, the footplates don't line up. Maybe the tender only has 14 mm wheels in it? Or else the loco sits too high on its chassis. Mine line up well with 24 mm loco wheels and 16 mm wheels in the tender. The tenders whilst originally having open coal rails like your model, were either plated on the inside or had plating on the outside of the coal rails or they received tenders with solid plate coping plates (the name I use for the side plates around the coal space) with beading, I made mine from brass strip and brass wire for the beading - a good option here would be a Bachmann J11 tender, provided it is an LNER verison fitted with water pickup (if that's what you inferred).  

Note that the vacuum pipe is missing from the front of yours and that GC pipes usually came out of the footplate - on the larger locos they were not fitted to the front buffer beam.

As with all modelling its important to work from some photos from the period you are modelling and preferably of the actual loco you want to model. Ideally of both sides - but of course that's not always possible. 

I've added a photo taken quickly on my phone of my B5 at roughly the same angle for comparison. The dome is the shorter one that came in the kit but the chimney is one I kit-bashed from a Craftsman A5 chimney.

Trust this helps - ask if anything is not clear (if I've written it, it may not always be so!)

Andrew

1355506639_B5ps.jpg.fb9653b481e60f53d88b77918ac1a8f2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Few more wagons in the build/paint process, from left right: 51L GCR open, GKing resin LNER meat conflat (thanks Graeme and Jonathan) and a DS GNR Horsebox. 

The meat conflat is far from finished and is one of four, very eager to get one done to see how she looks. 

43AB6FB1-7ECD-4DF4-A525-281CBC9548EE.jpeg

• Like 13

The B5 from Millholme is interesting. I wonder if it is a kit I saw on a bring and buy at AMRA Melbourne Exhibition back in 1990. I purchased a DJH Q7 instead... both were $50 each. but as a high school student I decided to only buy one. There usually isnt many kits around in Australia if we think about it though a lot do appear over time. Any how it is just a point of curiosity! 

I suspect the number of kits around in Australia has dropped due to Ebay and some do turn up through the groups and Clubs. Always a good idea to keep an eye out!  Good luck with that one Jesse

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 24/09/2020 at 07:18, Jesse Sim said:

Few more wagons in the build/paint process, from left right: 51L GCR open, GKing resin LNER meat conflat (thanks Graeme and Jonathan) and a DS GNR Horsebox. 

The meat conflat is far from finished and is one of four, very eager to get one done to see how she looks. 

43AB6FB1-7ECD-4DF4-A525-281CBC9548EE.jpeg

Very nice work as always champ, but is it my eyes or is the GCR Open riding a lot lower than the other two?

In a traditional way, I start another project or two before finishing the countless ones sitting above me. 

I finally got an Isinglass kit, a GN milk brake, this will go with three kit bashed milk tanks to make a working that Jonathan Wealleans has built. Thanks JW for the help with the milk tanks, I’m halfway through one at the moment. 

64973408-6F0B-45B6-A428-1216855452ED.jpeg.c13d6c50e2e162645edfeb09feb66a4a.jpeg

I also started on DS GC meat/perishables wagon, got this off eBay for a decent price. Bit fiddley but I’m slowly getting used to brass kits. 

6F434DAE-0774-4A37-A042-F4FDC542CB06.jpeg.3563472309b4084b3f8b4d28d8c1885c.jpeg

Both need painting, then the roofs can be glued on. As well as much more detail such as handrails. 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Any excuse to post this, one of my favourite pictures (and my wallpaper):

TW_C1_up_milk_cropped.jpg.c120c712915e73558d569ed5eec01c1a.jpg

Picture by Tony Wright at the Little Bytham 1938 weekend.

It was that picture that inspired me to make it. Mine will most definitely not look as good as yours....

• Friendly/supportive 1