Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

On 18/08/2021 at 10:52, Jesse Sim said:

You can also see in the bottom of this image a lone cobalt mounted above the board, obviously it’s because there’s a bast**d beam right underneath. I had a thought of just bending the exisiting wire to suit and mounting it on top, thankfully it work. 

98F83B19-6FB5-4677-A225-119565AEE0B6.jpeg.c7fd27b4bc0dc0a95da6b81cf8c15e7a.jpeg

We make a right angled adapter for unusual situations such as yours.

Cobalt Right-Angle Adapters w/Mounting Hardware (3 Pack) (dccconcepts.com)

The omega loop is for illustration purposes.

RA3a.jpg.9cd8db0289d153735e4e7056a75b2e52.jpg

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, DCCconcepts said:

We make a right angled adapter for unusual situations such as yours.

Cobalt Right-Angle Adapters w/Mounting Hardware (3 Pack) (dccconcepts.com)

The omega loop is for illustration purposes.

RA3a.jpg.9cd8db0289d153735e4e7056a75b2e52.jpg

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

I actually sent you guys an email asking about this but didn’t get a response so I’d made do with a simple idea. Will keep it mind but thanks. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Jesse Sim changed the title to Woolmer Green 1935-40

Alright, another small update, been slaving away doing some wiring and small bits and pieces. 

First up we have the new signal box, referred to as “South Box”. I’ve started on some point motor switches but I’m pleased to announce that this section is now all wired in. Obviously apart from said switches. 

D9F79B0C-DCFE-4E08-9D7C-5E5988D85861.jpeg.a70dee56ce8a3980e717a123808171fb.jpeg

Now we look at “North Box” nothing has happened in this section yet, all the wiring is still there as this section has not been altered. All I have to do is re run the wiring and switches to the new signal box. 

240F7172-8907-433F-BEC8-F0C48DB53EE6.jpeg.c86957868a527956485a27064df3f241.jpeg

The curve onto the scenic section at the North is in with the first tracks glued in the scenic section. Happy to say that the connection of code 100 to bullhead worked a treat. 

4041ADD3-6EF8-4A10-90E0-582F2F0DAEE6.jpeg.d9ceda98c57d2c7ce05ee84b29e59bb7.jpeg

I also had time to weather a few more wagons, it was good to look at something other then wires, just need to weather the wheels on the wagon on the left. 

BA16F662-62CE-4AB7-A325-0E741FAA6362.jpeg.e540624949384178baf5cf1013bcffc5.jpeg

Now for something cheeky…. Dylan Sanderson kindly sent me the link to this rare beauty of a website I was unfamiliar with, but for a 100 pounds it was worth the risk, Very happy indeed! I’ll probably finish it fairly quickly as it’s the only kit on my workbench, Everything’s been packed away.

E93D480B-E109-424B-8496-A5B8C75F3578.jpeg.4737f210caf6d6423441675695a07f3a.jpeg

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Now for something cheeky…. Dylan Sanderson kindly sent me the link to this rare beauty of a website I was unfamiliar with, but for a 100 pounds it was worth the risk, Very happy indeed! I’ll probably finish it fairly quickly as it’s the only kit on my workbench, Everything’s been packed away.

Ah so it was you who bought that!  I saw it and thought what a good deal it was but it had already been sold and, anyway, I'd just bought a K's C1 from the same place to convert into a Klondike. The layout's looking good, by the way; I'm very envious of all your space.

Jamie

7 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Ah so it was you who bought that!  I saw it and thought what a good deal it was but it had already been sold and, anyway, I'd just bought a K's C1 from the same place to convert into a Klondike. The layout's looking good, by the way; I'm very envious of all your space.

Jamie

Haha mate you have no idea how quick my wallet was out. I actually said to myself if I don’t get this right now someone might get it before me. 

I feel a tiny bit greedy now as I already have a C2 built by our Master, I also feel a bit bad. But you shall receive no sympathy for not being quick enough :wink_mini:

Is it possible to convert a C1 to a C2? Much smaller boiler… would it not be more sensible to save up for a C2 from DJH? 

4 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Is it possible to convert a C1 to a C2? Much smaller boiler… would it not be more sensible to save up for a C2 from DJH? 

IMG_20210914_132844365.jpg.306b18efded77bda6e53359f86549687.jpgK's footplate and 3D printed boiler/cab (which needs a bit of tweaking to sit down properly on the footplate).

The DJH kit is overscale and doesn't quite capture the face of the engine, IMHO. Plus as I got the C1 pre built and with decent wheels it's quite a bit cheaper even with the price of the 3D print added on.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Alright, another small update, been slaving away doing some wiring and small bits and pieces. 

First up we have the new signal box, referred to as “South Box”. I’ve started on some point motor switches but I’m pleased to announce that this section is now all wired in. Obviously apart from said switches. 

D9F79B0C-DCFE-4E08-9D7C-5E5988D85861.jpeg.a70dee56ce8a3980e717a123808171fb.jpeg

Now we look at “North Box” nothing has happened in this section yet, all the wiring is still there as this section has not been altered. All I have to do is re run the wiring and switches to the new signal box. 

240F7172-8907-433F-BEC8-F0C48DB53EE6.jpeg.c86957868a527956485a27064df3f241.jpeg

The curve onto the scenic section at the North is in with the first tracks glued in the scenic section. Happy to say that the connection of code 100 to bullhead worked a treat. 

4041ADD3-6EF8-4A10-90E0-582F2F0DAEE6.jpeg.d9ceda98c57d2c7ce05ee84b29e59bb7.jpeg

I also had time to weather a few more wagons, it was good to look at something other then wires, just need to weather the wheels on the wagon on the left. 

BA16F662-62CE-4AB7-A325-0E741FAA6362.jpeg.e540624949384178baf5cf1013bcffc5.jpeg

Is that an LNER Mk3 I spy? I didn't know you swung both ways ;)

• Funny 3

AH a Klondyke.
I'd love one for The Atlantic Preservation Group. A bunch of business people who formed this group in Manchester to save these engines.
Thanks to them, an L&Y Atlantic can be seen at Manchester Oldham Rd, working suburbans on the Manchester Loop.
At least in my AU it does.
Can't afford a DJH one at the moment!
Regards,
Chris.

10 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

IMG_20210914_132844365.jpg.306b18efded77bda6e53359f86549687.jpgK's footplate and 3D printed boiler/cab (which needs a bit of tweaking to sit down properly on the footplate).

The DJH kit is overscale and doesn't quite capture the face of the engine, IMHO. Plus as I got the C1 pre built and with decent wheels it's quite a bit cheaper even with the price of the 3D print added on.

I didn’t know you were going down the  printed 3D printed route, I thought you were going to be hacking and sawing. That looks the business mate. 

On the note of the DJH kit being overscale, in what way? 

7 hours ago, Sandhole said:

AH a Klondyke.
I'd love one for The Atlantic Preservation Group. A bunch of business people who formed this group in Manchester to save these engines.
Thanks to them, an L&Y Atlantic can be seen at Manchester Oldham Rd, working suburbans on the Manchester Loop.
At least in my AU it does.
Can't afford a DJH one at the moment!
Regards,
Chris.

I’m not sure what you mean, a real one? If so there is one preserved. 

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I didn’t know you were going down the  printed 3D printed route, I thought you were going to be hacking and sawing. That looks the business mate. 

On the note of the DJH kit being overscale, in what way?

Thanks,

IIRC, the DJH kit has been stretched in just about all dimensions to allow driving wheels with overscale flanges and proper sized bogie wheels to fit. No doubt someone else will be able to confirm or correct this or give a quantitative answer as to how overscale it is.

28 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Thanks,

IIRC, the DJH kit has been stretched in just about all dimensions to allow driving wheels with overscale flanges and proper sized bogie wheels to fit. No doubt someone else will be able to confirm or correct this or give a quantitative answer as to how overscale it is.

Couldn’t that be on all kits, making stuff slightly larger to make things easier to build and run? 

Im not too worried about dimensions being a couple of mil out, not buying a kit due to that is a bit over the top don’t you think? 

Surely it still represents the real life loco in all its glory…

33 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

not buying a kit due to that is a bit over the top don’t you think? 

It wasn't really the scale that put me off. Like I said, IMHO, some parts of the kit don't fully capture the look of the C2 and the K's/3D print option is much cheaper.

If it doesn't bother you, that's fine but I decided to go a different way.

9 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

It wasn't really the scale that put me off. Like I said, IMHO, some parts of the kit don't fully capture the look of the C2 and the K's/3D print option is much cheaper.

If it doesn't bother you, that's fine but I decided to go a different way.

Don’t take what I said in a negative way Jamie, not like that all. You’ll probably finish your C2 before I mine…

I was just a little confused is all on what you meant by not to scale. Still am a little to be honest about how the DJH kit doesn’t capture the real thing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Thanks,

Any model of these Atlantics needs some adjustment to the dimensions to make it work in 4mm scale unless you are modelling in P4. The flanges of the driving wheels are very close to each other in real life and if you have a model with overscale flanges you have a couple of choices. You slightly increase the wheelbase to allow for the overscale flanges or you fit slightly smaller wheels.

DJH chose to slightly increase the wheelbase to allow the correct sized wheels to be fitted.

It was one of those compromises that is sometimes necessary in building models. I would have probably preferred to fit slightly smaller wheels as real wheels did get turned down by a few inches but either way, a dead scale wheelbased and full sized wheeled GNR Atlantic is not possible in OO or EM gauges.

I think it is down to the individual to decide if the alterations spoil the look of the loco but I have seen some lovely and very convincing models built from the DJH kits, with a few added details and refinements, which most kits benefit from.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I always fit slightly smaller wheels to these GN 4-4-2s, as Tony says they did get turned down during the loco's life. I don't really like lengthening the wheelbase, DJH did the same with (with less reason) for the 9F. In the only one of our kits where this problem crops up, the Consett A class 0-6-0PT, we provide an alternative set of frames and coupling rods with .5mm added between the trailing and intermediate axles.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Any model of these Atlantics needs some adjustment to the dimensions to make it work in 4mm scale unless you are modelling in P4. The flanges of the driving wheels are very close to each other in real life and if you have a model with overscale flanges you have a couple of choices. You slightly increase the wheelbase to allow for the overscale flanges or you fit slightly smaller wheels.

DJH chose to slightly increase the wheelbase to allow the correct sized wheels to be fitted.

It was one of those compromises that is sometimes necessary in building models. I would have probably preferred to fit slightly smaller wheels as real wheels did get turned down by a few inches but either way, a dead scale wheelbased and full sized wheeled GNR Atlantic is not possible in OO or EM gauges.

I think it is down to the individual to decide if the alterations spoil the look of the loco but I have seen some lovely and very convincing models built from the DJH kits, with a few added details and refinements, which most kits benefit from.

I think that’s a fair compromise for the correct wheels. Surely people don’t go up to locos on layouts and start measuring the distance between between each driving wheel…. 

You’ve got to draw the line somewhere. 

9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I always fit slightly smaller wheels to these GN 4-4-2s, as Tony says they did get turned down during the loco's life. I don't really like lengthening the wheelbase, DJH did the same with (with less reason) for the 9F. In the only one of our kits where this problem crops up, the Consett A class 0-6-0PT, we provide an alternative set of frames and coupling rods with .5mm added between the trailing and intermediate axles.

On the note of fitting smaller wheels are they would have worn down during its life, couldn’t fitting the correct size wheels slightly apart from the other also look like they’ve been worn down? 

Please don’t think I’m arguing, more a conversation on when compromise should be taken in on some points and when it really isn’t necessary. I personally believe not buying a kit because the driving wheels are slightly out of scale and the loco is slightly to big is ridiculous. I would be happy to live with that and put my time into other things that stand out more. Obviously it’s all down to preference and Jamie will get much more satisfaction from his C2 then perhaps mine as I’ve not build either of mine. Everyone knows Sir built my first one a year or two ago and the second one has majority of the building complete. 

Each to there own. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

On the note of fitting smaller wheels are they would have worn down during its life

Yes. As the wheels wear through normal use, the profile of the tread changes so periodically the wheels are turned on a lathe to restore the correct profile, which reduces the diameter. Personally, I'd keep the wheelbase as accurate as possible and reduce the diameter (not least because in 00 the flanges are too big anyway - what the eye sees is the overall diameter of the wheel, not the tread diameter).

• Agree 5