Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

couldn’t fitting the correct size wheels slightly apart from the other also look like they’ve been worn down? 

The only possible issue I could see with that is extending the wheelbase by the same amount. You'd need inaccurate-accurate rods to fit the new wheelbase and you might run into other issue with spacing of bits on the footplate. 

All of these small allowances might end up leading to something looking wrong, or compounding the issue in a more difficult way etc.

As you say, most people draw the line somewhere, and I suppose it depends on how important it is to you.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Jack P said:

The only possible issue I could see with that is extending the wheelbase by the same amount. You'd need inaccurate-accurate rods to fit the new wheelbase and you might run into other issue with spacing of bits on the footplate. 

All of these small allowances might end up leading to something looking wrong, or compounding the issue in a more difficult way etc.

As you say, most people draw the line somewhere, and I suppose it depends on how important it is to you.

I can see the differences that people want that all lead to how accurate you would like to go. 

Like you Jack you might go to that extra mile to get it correct but I wouldn’t. Nothing against you, but you don’t have a layout at the moment you can build locos and coaches to your hearts content. Where i, being a one man band, could use the time mucking about the size difference of a wheel for something else, like a wagon or at the present time a layout. 

I agree with you and others that “it depends on how important it is for you”. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If you really look hard, with photos of a DJH C2 and a real one side by side, you can just about make out that the gap between the splashers on the model is slightly bigger than on the prototype.

Looking at the model on its own, it certainly doesn't jump out at me as a major concern.

As Jesse says, we each have a choice as to how far we want to take things. We can spend ages altering the wheelbase, coupling rods and splashers, fitting smaller wheels and ending up with a loco which looks a tiny fraction better but has undersized wheels with over scale flanges so still has some faults. Or we can accept the very slight discrepancy and do something else with the time we have saved.

I would have preferred it if DJH had gone for smaller wheels and the splashers in the right place but their choice to go the other way and increase the wheelbase wouldn't be a deal breaker and I wouldn't bother trying to alter it. It would be one of those jobs that is lots of work for not much benefit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just to be clear, it wasn't the scale of the DJH kit that was the deal breaker for me. If I'd found one for a good price, I'd have bought it and lived with the issues but because I'd have spend twice as much money buying direct from DJH (not including motor/gearbox which I already had) than the K's/3D print combination has cost I decided the DJH kit wasn't worth it.

5 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Just to be clear, it wasn't the scale of the DJH kit that was the deal breaker for me. If I'd found one for a good price, I'd have bought it and lived with the issues but because I'd have spend twice as much money buying direct from DJH (not including motor/gearbox which I already had) than the K's/3D print combination has cost I decided the DJH kit wasn't worth it.

Also don’t think I was jumping down your throat mate, it was far from that. 

You are are an excellent modeller and have probably built more locos then me, I’m eager to see the finished result. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2021 at 18:05, JamieR4489 said:

Hello Jamie and others,

I missed the first showing on here of the 3D printed Klondike cab and boiler - I was away on a brief holiday. What's the source of the 3D print please and is the surface finish quality truly "ready to paint to a high standard" or is it strewn with fine (or not so fine) ridges? Photographs don't necessarily reveal such things.

I've actually looked a couple of times at the possibility of adding a slimmer boiler and new cab to C1 underpinnings, in my case probably using a resin J6 boiler suitably extended, and resin J6 cab slightly modified. I even considered doing the conversion on a Bachmann / NRM base, ignoring the fact that the motor would not allow the boiler to sit quite low enough. In mock-up scale drawings it did not look too badly out of proportion. I might even have gone ahead with the project earlier this year, having enquired last autumn about availability of any suitable returned / damaged / defective "donor" models from Locomotion models. I accepted, and fully understood that they have struggled through a difficult lockdown, hence I was quite willing to wait so long as my enquiry was dealt with in-turn and not repeatedly pushed to the back of the queue. But I'm afraid that nine months of very patient waiting for an informative reply from them proved futile, despite sending them polite periodic reminders. I was ultimately forced to suspect that my enquiry was being ignored and that I was simply being "fobbed off" each time I reminded them. When I eventually submitted an on-line complaint all I got was an automated reply promising that they would be in touch soon - that was at the start of August and I've still heard no more... 

As I don't mind keeping my money in my pocket rather than buying from them, it's no skin off my nose.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, gr.king said:

What's the source of the 3D print please and is the surface finish quality truly "ready to paint to a high standard" or is it strewn with fine (or not so fine) ridges? Photographs don't necessarily reveal such things.

Hello Graeme,

It's my own CAD printed by Hexa-Cubed as I don't own a printer. It's resin so the finish is pretty good but there are definitely fine ridges. So, no, it is not ready to paint but probably would be after, say, an afternoon's work cleaning it up. Hopefully the photo below shows the quality of the finish (although saying that, the strong lighting does exaggerate the ridges/troughs).

I also looked at the possibility of using the Bachmann chassis but after finding your comments on the LNER forum about a conversion and measuring the inside of one of my Bachmann C1s I came to the same conclusion that the motor was too high.

IMG_20210924_174518316_HDR.jpg.45dbb654207b4eff5af02458db09f3d3.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 2

Bunker = hole full of sand.  The trap line diverges from the main and also falls away down a slope.

Edit - the slope may also be to protect the signalbox, by pushing runaway traffic away from it to the left, down what looks like a steeper slope.

Edited by jwealleans
Spillchucking.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Bunker = hole full of sand.  The trap line diverges from the main and also falls away down a slope.

Edit - the slop may also be to protect the signalbox, by pushing runaway traffic away from it to the left, down what looks like a steeper slope.

There is indeed a steeper slope. I’ve decided to keep it level with the rest of the track and build up the bunker around it 

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

G’day all, I’m wondering if anyone can share some opinions on whether or not the UP protection siding slopes downward or if it’s just the angle of the photo or because a ruddy big loco has gone into it……

6069685C-64A2-4B3A-A69B-D3F495DC9EDC.jpeg

9059EC32-E7BC-4092-9A2A-A19895A8D85B.jpeg

G'Day Folks

I would say the protection siding goes down, same as the bank.  Interesting loco to, IIRC, a Fowler 2-6-4T, a couple ran on loan for a year or two in the 50's

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

G’day all, I’m wondering if anyone can share some opinions on whether or not the UP protection siding slopes downward or if it’s just the angle of the photo or because a ruddy big loco has gone into it……

6069685C-64A2-4B3A-A69B-D3F495DC9EDC.jpeg

9059EC32-E7BC-4092-9A2A-A19895A8D85B.jpeg

Is the track in the photo temporary to aid the re-railing?

There doesn't seem to be any ballast , but we don't know exactly where the siding ended, how fast and how far the loco was going when it hit the sand.

It could have ended up quite a distance from the end of the permanent track.

I can't see the designers/installers putting in  a downslope, increasing the speed of any errant vehicle.

Just my tuppence worth

Regards

Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Is the track in the photo temporary to aid the re-railing?

There doesn't seem to be any ballast , but we don't know exactly where the siding ended, how fast and how far the loco was going when it hit the sand.

It could have ended up quite a distance from the end of the permanent track.

I can't see the designers/installers putting in  a downslope, increasing the speed of any errant vehicle.

Just my tuppence worth

Regards

Ian

Interesting comment Ian, it does look that way, but if the loco did derail could it have caused such damage to the track? We don’t know when this photo was taken if the loco was further down the embankment or if it came to rest outside the signal box….

It certainly looks like it slopes down, but perhaps that's an illusion and the whole siding is lower than the running line?

You're making good progress, with all the essentials (coffee, beer and smokes).

When's that artic twin set headed my way?

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

It certainly looks like it slopes down, but perhaps that's an illusion and the whole siding is lower than the running line?

You're making good progress, with all the essentials (coffee, beer and smokes).

When's that artic twin set headed my way?

Well I’ve laid it level with the other track so no turning back now. 

well most of the wiring and track has been done under the influence of all three and it’s turned out rather well. 

when I finish it… I may or may not have started on some wagon kits but hahaha

• Friendly/supportive 1

On the subject of the DJH Atlantic's - both are far from accurate being based around an extended driving wheelbase as suggested above. I built a C2 about 20 years ago and made some corrections such as shortening the length of the loco (footplate) and narrowing the footplate. If I had known more at the time I could have made a few other changes such as reducing the height of the frames above the springs below cab and on the tender. At the end of the day whatever you do with these is going to be inaccurate to varying degrees as you can't change things like the boiler diameter easily. One unfortunate fact is that the overscale dimensions are not consistent across the models. One of the most significant overscale parts is the boiler and smokebox on the C1. I bought an unbuilt C1 secondhand many years ago but will probably never build it. I'm more likely to reuse the parts from my dismantled Ks C1, built originally in 1976, when I get around to building my model of 3279.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typos
  • Like 1

So pleased to announce the south end fiddleyard is completely wired up, save for two point motors which I need to buy. Smashed out the remaining switches and drop wires this afternoon with some testing planned for tomorrow afternoon. 

3AA14946-BC5D-4DA3-B796-18EAB6FFED8C.jpeg.75cc42277a4ebce9a47a91ed95bfca5b.jpeg

33E5ABB5-A80A-45EF-88EC-37F8808B1964.jpeg.70cab42d320b1dd3a22930b0f7b079c4.jpeg

The plan is to now finish the North end fiddleyard box so I can get my bar fridge back under the layout and in between that some track laying on the scenic side. The last thing to do will be wiring the scenic section. 

Another project is finishing off the last Engineers Department wagon that I scratchbuilt back in 2019. One is finished apart some small lettering for the solebars and a weather, the other which is what I’m working on now has the doors on and the hinges and door handles on one side. As you can see the almost finished one is carrying rails with the doors discarded, which often happened. 

26549600-7E9D-4173-B761-A1FEA994C069.jpeg.210c41493e875c79fc158ceade52bcf6.jpeg

The doors will be painted blue with all the required lettering. I’ll post a better photo when she’s finished. I also couldn’t help but take a quick photo of the almost finished Nucast J6, she’s not the best, but she’s the first loco kit that I’ve started and actually finished. 

• Like 17

On 02/10/2021 at 09:58, Jesse Sim said:

26549600-7E9D-4173-B761-A1FEA994C069.jpeg.210c41493e875c79fc158ceade52bcf6.jpeg

The doors will be painted blue with all the required lettering. I’ll post a better photo when she’s finished. I also couldn’t help but take a quick photo of the almost finished Nucast J6, she’s not the best, but she’s the first loco kit that I’ve started and actually finished. 

I recognise those wagons! 

Bit late to the party, but might that track have simply settled under the weight of the locomotive? If the embankment wasn't really substantial, or perhaps it had been weakened by burrowing animals, that's a possibility?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1