Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

Whatever space you have you'll always end up wanting more because you could just fit that little bit more in.
But if you started off with extra space you would still want more space because you fit more in or have a different larger plan.
But you would then like more space for that new larger plan, and it would be an endless cycle...

It took me about 2 years and 3 layouts called Brighton Junction to get where I am now. 

It wasn’t until I really took in the words “less is more” that I came up with this plan. 

• Like 1

So I had a lovely afternoon,finished of the extra bits and bobs on the bridge and then started to weather it. Finished the more prominent side and sprayed the clear coat varnish on and it reacted for some reason. Now leaving it to be more darker then expected. I still think it’s worked out well. What does everyone think? 

The left hand lines, which are the junction to Nottingham, has locos waiting for the clear road to the ECML and also locos moving to and from the sidings. Which is depicted in the following photos. So obviously there would be more soot and steam etc etc. 

please let let me know if it’s too much. If so, how can I remove it? Because I’m stumped. 

C38BA153-29E4-4CE2-B52B-BD1F250B4D14.jpeg

6A6BF33F-0DDE-4CA5-82E6-6D4FD6D649F4.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It loks OK Jesse, but I think it might help to weather the brickwork to either side of the arches a bit as well so that there isn't such a contrast between the clean and the sooty bricks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

It loks OK Jesse, but I think it might help to weather the brickwork to either side of the arches a bit as well so that there isn't such a contrast between the clean and the sooty bricks.

Of course, the rest of the weathering still

needs to happen, was jsut a bit paranoid about the bulk

of the black work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heyup Jesse, what did you use to add the black? Just thinking about what might work if you want to dilute/tone it down a bit. It's quite consistently black all the way up to the parapet, but what could work is to gently grade it out as it gets further up, as the velocity of the soot would decrease as it travelled up.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2019 at 08:10, Jesse Sim said:

So I had a lovely afternoon,finished of the extra bits and bobs on the bridge and then started to weather it. Finished the more prominent side and sprayed the clear coat varnish on and it reacted for some reason. Now leaving it to be more darker then expected. I still think it’s worked out well. What does everyone think? 

The left hand lines, which are the junction to Nottingham, has locos waiting for the clear road to the ECML and also locos moving to and from the sidings. Which is depicted in the following photos. So obviously there would be more soot and steam etc etc. 

please let let me know if it’s too much. If so, how can I remove it? Because I’m stumped. 

C38BA153-29E4-4CE2-B52B-BD1F250B4D14.jpeg

6A6BF33F-0DDE-4CA5-82E6-6D4FD6D649F4.jpeg

I don't think soot deposits would ever obliterate the brickwork colour to such an extent, Jesse. 

As Corbs has said, it would get lighter the higher it was up, and those four recesses at the top would not get anywhere near as stained. 

Can some of it be removed? What are the 'bricks' made of? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Many thanks Corbs and Tony, I used Humbrol black weathering powders mixed in with charcoal. It has not yet been varnished, so I need to work out a way to remove some of it. I think it looks good, but it’s too much. Definitely need to dull it down. 

Tony these bricks are made out of paper and cardboard, not sure about the real thing though. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jesse, is this any help? It's the overbridge in Llangollen Station, so trains aren't passing at any great speed under it, but it does see quite a lot of traffic.

llangollenbridgelrg.jpg

33 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Hi Jesse, is this any help? It's the overbridge in Llangollen Station, so trains aren't passing at any great speed under it, but it does see quite a lot of traffic.

llangollenbridgelrg.jpg

Indeed it does, thanks. 

I think I need to dull it down.

It does look very heavy.
Not too sure how to fix it considering it's a card structure.
Maybe try using some grey or a brick colour to try and blend around the edges so soften the contrast.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Many thanks Corbs and Tony, I used Humbrol black weathering powders mixed in with charcoal. It has not yet been varnished, so I need to work out a way to remove some of it. I think it looks good, but it’s too much. Definitely need to dull it down. 

Tony these bricks are made out of paper and cardboard, not sure about the real thing though. 

Thanks Jesse,

With brick-paper bricks you'll have to take care, so don't use any water-based material to alter/remove the weathering if you can. However, I'm not sure what to use. 

In future I'd advise against the use of pure black, and do a little at a time. Dark greys/browns produce a more natural effect.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Many thanks to all, I’ll try Barry’s idea first, if that doesn’t work, I’ll try Tony’s idea, if that doesn’t work, I’m moving to Iceland and living in solitude. 

You'll get lots of advice in three weeks' time. Some of it might even be helpful...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2019 at 22:37, Jesse Sim said:

My ‘Layout of a lifetime’ is Welwyn North, viaduct included, in LNER Days. 

I think it was 50ft I’d need, one can dream.

I built a room for my friends father, who then built Welwyn North in P4. IIRC it was 40'x 12' 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/05/2019 at 18:32, chris p bacon said:

I built a room for my friends father, who then built Welwyn North in P4. IIRC it was 40'x 12' 

You wouldn’t happen to have pictures or anything? Or if you could get some? That would be something I’d love to see!!!!

Well, with the coming BRMA running session in a couple of weeks I thought I’d better pull my finger out and get some wiring completed....so here goes. 

Ive installed 5 cobalt S levers, from left to ride we’ll call them 1, 2 , 3 , 4 and 5. 

B3F2B324-EFD1-4617-9FB3-858E982224F9.jpeg.b80796c5e7167142582769661e5527c7.jpeg

Number 1 controls this point here, which is access to the long kickback goods train, (the one with the drunken brake van). Which then also leads to three more kick back sidings at the the other end. 

134C239F-28E4-4EA5-8414-D5D62F744F93.jpeg.35802bbd1de6dc9d2250be41f392c777.jpeg

2 and 3 control the fiddleyard Junction points above my work bench. With number 4 just seen in the right hand corner. Number 4 leads to a short kickback siding for a 3 coach train, and also leads to the two kick back sidings that run underneath the layout, which has featured before. They hold a 1950’s train and a 1980’s train. 

9A36E4D6-C49A-49DE-A360-39DF38F2440E.jpeg.17e9b314b83f3ada0e92a8eacec13685.jpeg

Everything wired up exactly how I planned, which is odd, nothing ever works to plan with me, but I am happy with how it’s worked out! 

I also added two more cobalts in the fiddleyard, (point numbers Down 10 & 11). With only two more Peco surface mounted (numbers Down 8 and 9) left to go! Then, I think I’ll be happy. 

Then all thats left left is a couple of drop wires here and there, some cleaning, tidying up of wires, a track clean and then I’ll have about week to touch up anything that’s left. 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

You wouldn’t happen to have pictures or anything? Or if you could get some? That would be something I’d love to see!!!!

Afraid not Jesse, He sadly died a couple of years ago and I never thought to take any piccies and I don't think he did either.

43 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Afraid not Jesse, He sadly died a couple of years ago and I never thought to take any piccies and I don't think he did either.

Shame, I wonder what happened to his collection. 

The wiring is now finished, only cleaning the railway room and the track is needed before the BRMA running day. 

I spent yesterday helping out my local hobby store at one of the exhibitions in Blacktown over the weekend, but it didn’t stop me walking around and purchasing a few bits and bobs. I did go a bit naughty and purchased a NSW loco, couldn’t help myself.

8B6ADA29-3B54-4A83-BBAF-0194E18BC788.jpeg.ea9b3699045aa838e861dee673546816.jpeg

just need to add some cab numbers and she’s ready to roll, Aussie loco hauling a British coal train? Why not aye!! 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

The wiring is now finished, only cleaning the railway room and the track is needed before the BRMA running day. 

I spent yesterday helping out my local hobby store at one of the exhibitions in Blacktown over the weekend, but it didn’t stop me walking around and purchasing a few bits and bobs. I did go a bit naughty and purchased a NSW loco, couldn’t help myself.

8B6ADA29-3B54-4A83-BBAF-0194E18BC788.jpeg.ea9b3699045aa838e861dee673546816.jpeg

just need to add some cab numbers and she’s ready to roll, Aussie loco hauling a British coal train? Why not aye!! 

That looks very Robinson. Could be mileage in converting it in to a fish engine or one of the other small wheel 4-6-0s then it could fit in nicely with you scene and time period.

so says the gcr modeler who has USA outline locos to convert in the round to it pile.

richard

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard i said:

That looks very Robinson. Could be mileage in converting it in to a fish engine or one of the other small wheel 4-6-0s then it could fit in nicely with you scene and time period.

so says the gcr modeler who has USA outline locos to convert in the round to it pile.

richard

No no , she’ll stay as she is, bit of

fun! 

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, richard i said:

richard

Wouldn't work Richard - Australian models are H0.

• Agree 1

Well a quick clean up this evening after watching the last episode of Game of Thrones, needed to keep myself busy from swearing at the TV! 

Its amazing what happens when you can actually see your layout! Couple of pics to show how it’s going. 

621A29A9-F052-44BE-8BA7-181028395D28.jpeg

5C02ADA7-00F2-465F-9ECF-587CD1FEDA04.jpeg

CFEB78FC-AD1F-4DB1-BF12-3B287F737A8B.jpeg

• Like 7