Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'd be inclined to use a slightly smaller brush...

I’ll have you know that I have seen many people use that first to move it all along, I used it and it worked perfectly, so stick that up your jumper! Hahaha :P 

I did use smaller brushes after don’t worry John, the Big brush is only used for about 2 minutes of the process! 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, DougN said:

Looking good there Jesse. Forget the fags and get sound chips for the locos.... alot more healthy! 

There will be a heap of toning down as it all ends up too stark at times. I have the problem that the NER ballasted most secondary lines in Ash ballast which being black needs warming up in colours and with black sleepers they tend to disappear. So I am looking at dark browns similar to the track colour but darkened slightly to achieve a contrast.... only been 3 months since I started that lot. 

I have one sound steam and that’s a Hornby cock I got from me Mum and dad years ago! It does sound good, but I’m not a complete fan of Steam sound, I think it’s a bit unrealistic. I do however have a sound class 50, DMU and soon to be sound Deltic....I find the diesels much more convincing, but they’re just my muck around trains, I think I’ve been hanging around Tony too much! 

weathering will commence in a few months, once I’m happy with the ballast and everything runs smoothly! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I have one sound steam and that’s a Hornby cock I got from me Mum and dad years ago! It does sound good, but I’m not a complete fan of Steam sound, I think it’s a bit unrealistic. I do however have a sound class 50, DMU and soon to be sound Deltic....I find the diesels much more convincing, but they’re just my muck around trains, I think I’ve been hanging around Tony too much! 

weathering will commence in a few months, once I’m happy with the ballast and everything runs smoothly! 

I have a few steam locomotives with sound and totally agree with you steam sound still doesn't sound realistic enough. Diesel on the other hand sound fantastic. Class 37 at full cry :D 

• Like 1

90% of ballasting work has finished, only the two UP sidings left to do and some adding on in parts where the ballast has moved when glueing. 

Looking from tunnel mouths.

0EBD6C3B-ED8F-4F8A-A7A0-73E80D9CB736.jpeg.bf2214cb2aa542c74e0d4a626b96d7a6.jpeg

Looking back towards Bleesing’s Road bridge and the tunnel, you can see where the ballast has slipped and some cork is shown, easily fixed! 

13B00229-F71A-4112-B2AA-49F09D733A27.jpeg.dc15f933efece5295e068326316f1d4e.jpeg

Same shot but facing the other direction, you can see said sidings to left still waiting attention. These will be ballasted in ash deposits like the sidings to the right, the good stuff would have been used on the mainlines with priority of maintenance.

11492373-0C90-4F42-B911-B1C8AF537D82.jpeg.23254e7062145f2c8dd3d522db3241f7.jpeg

A good look at the sidings, that’s about as far as I’ll go with the grass coming through, the LNER track was always much cleaner then in BR days, but I liked the idea as it really shows that those lines do not get used all that often! 

C8089264-DF5B-4D97-9F17-FC152EE0D11F.jpeg.4a8d58e9414edca6f3584ed045db395d.jpeg

and a final view looking south. 

44FF7696-04E0-4D43-A24F-A81B4C056172.jpeg.7205cc641bf2141e94f1dab1d198c1c6.jpeg

Overall, I’m happy with the outcome, I was sh*tting bricks about ballasting, but I am pleased with myself. Now for some weathering! 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Jesse,

That looks great. I’m really impressed by how smoothly the trains seem to glide over the point work.

Andy

Many thanks, the junction section was cut and altered by Graham Nicholas @LNER4479 of this parish, but if I may toot my own horn a little bit? I do receive many comment on my ability to lay track. I think maybe because I’ve ripped up and started that many “Brighton Junctions” in the years before! 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well it looks like I’ll be laid up in bed for a few days due to pulling a ligament in my ankle tonight playing footy.....

looks like those wagons that need painting will be completed! 

I don’t think Mum will let me bring my soldering iron over to my room, something about “setting the f**ken house on fire”...... I’ll see if Dad will sneak it over to me! :D 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Good god, imagine! If I have a crack in my ankle I’ll need a moon boot.......

It was the thought of you driving a mobility scooter like you drive your ute that gave me a cold sweat...

• Funny 7

John, I thought that all holden utes only drove side ways....

(Yes, I was a bit of a hoon in the 2003 Monaro I had a as company car for a bit... V8 but gutless due to being floged by the old boss had to get it above 4000RPM at which everything let loose.... not a comfortable drive but I have thought about buying another when the kids are out of the school fee  zone in 3 years... ) 

Any how hope the ankle is on the mend Jesse. Enjoy the time in the UK with Warley and SIR... it will probably be 3 years or more till I get back over as per the above! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It was the thought of you driving a mobility scooter like you drive your ute that gave me a cold sweat...

I’ve been in contact with the Warley Show, Mac has been excellent help, his words were “being serious for a second, you can hire mobility scooters”. The words being serious and mobility scooters are not in my vocabulary...... 

I feel more safe on a dirt bike going 60kms/h into a sand corner then I do on a football field! 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Don't worry, Jesse,

We can fix a bed downstairs for you............................

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks Tony, just slap a blanket and a pillow in the middle of the layout and I’ll sleep like a baby! 

I had an X-ray yesterday and having an ultrasound today to check out my ligaments, fingers crossed it’ll be healed in a few weeks, maybe just with a small limp....I won’t find anything out till Monday. My doctor said a possible torn ligament and a possible crack in my ankle. Fingers crossed I won’t be in a moon boot. 

• Friendly/supportive 2