Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

It will be interesting to see how all of nsw goes as you know Victoria has had so long in a lockdown it has knocked everyone's mental health around in some way. Modelling production does go up some what the need for supplies places a lot of additional pressure on the postal system. 

One thing I would recommend is keep in touch with as many people as possible via phone and zoom calls. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

If St Enodoc can join a zoom meeting of the Leeds MRS Eating and Drinking Section at sensible UK and Oz Times... do could you Jesse!

Only when we're on daylight saving and you aren't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Jesse Sim changed the title to Woolmer Green 1935-40 (WAS BRIGHTON JUNCTION)
On 28/06/2021 at 19:36, Dylan Sanderson said:

After Jesse's inspiration for wagon weathering, I thought I'd have another go. Not bad, I don't think.

Any criticism/suggestions are welcome, we all can improve that way! Although, none are ‘finished’ yet.

FF2AA9B1-AC76-4799-8ED4-45217DDE0CAE.jpeg

A9F8DA94-287E-45B2-A3EB-AFA007A1229F.jpeg

DD230E64-D1B6-463F-AF21-C09C949BCC46.jpeg

Sorry mate I didn’t see this, it looks a bit brown the weathering. Darken it up a little. Other then that looks great.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

7D3A6441-2AE9-4806-B10A-F6D730602987.jpeg.75f7d6c8b485aa5ccfba34905cbae4b8.jpeg

Thats a scene from my yoof! A mate lived about 1km to the left in the village, so this area was part of our playground. The location lends itself to being modelled, in this orientation too the northern portal of Welwyn North north tunnel is just off the map to the right, you could legitimately pull it on scene without distorting the visual impact, and retain the atmosphere of the area. The left hand bridge would give you the natural scenic break too, the bridge gradient is downhill south to north. The housing around the viaduct is quite posh, it being an area of dezrez properties, then and now. (a school friends house was among them and I can recall an epic party that didn’t quite end up with the roller in the swimming pool, but wasn’t far off)

On the immediate north west side of the bridge was an old refuse tip, back in the late 70’s early 80’s some very valuable glass bottles were found there by collectors. As it was on railway property there were concerns that tip surfers would get hit by trains and was subsequently severely fenced off.

edit: The specific area is known locally as ‘Mardley Hill’ or ‘Oaklands’ if you’re researching it. Woolmer Green would mean the village to the north east of the railway on the old Great North Road about a kilometre away

Edited by PMP
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I’ll leave this here, talk to you all in a few months :laugh_mini:

7D43390B-9BCC-485F-8C09-92400995F060.jpeg

Instead of or as well as?

I think this will work well for you. A not-too-distant cousin of Stoke Summit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PMP said:

Thats a scene from my yoof! A mate lived about 1km to the left in the village, so this area was part of our playground. The location lends itself to being modelled, in this orientation too the northern portal of Welwyn North north tunnel is just off the map to the right, you could legitimately pull it on scene without distorting the visual impact, and retain the atmosphere of the area. The left hand bridge would give you the natural scenic break too, the bridge gradient is downhill south to north. The housing around the viaduct is quite posh, it being an area of dezrez properties, then and now. (a school friends house was among them and I can recall an epic party that didn’t quite end up with the roller in the swimming pool, but wasn’t far off)

On the immediate north west side of the bridge was an old refuse tip, back in the late 70’s early 80’s some very valuable glass bottles were found there by collectors. As it was on railway property there were concerns that tip surfers would get hit by trains and was subsequently severely fenced off.

edit: The specific area is known locally as ‘Mardley Hill’ or ‘Oaklands’ if you’re researching it. Woolmer Green would mean the village to the north east of the railway on the old Great North Road about a kilometre away

G'Day Folks

I used to 'Dig' the old rubbish tip, as I collect old bottles etc. I had to walk from Welwyn North station over the top of the tunnels, there is a footpath, I got a few 'Funny' looks travelling back to Southend by train and tube, carrying a spade, fork and a old sack filled with clanking bottle, and wearing a muddy jacket, muddy jeans a wellies ! All good clean fun. It was interesting digging and watching the trains roll by.

manna

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PMP said:

I probably won’t model Welwyn North tunnel, might be a bit too cramped. But if it does fit I will. 

Dezrez?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Instead of or as well as?

I think this will work well for you. A not-too-distant cousin of Stoke Summit.

Instead of!

It’s amazing how you spend three years building a model and it’s gone in two days…

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I probably won’t model Welwyn North tunnel, might be a bit too cramped. But if it does fit I will. 

Dezrez?

The embankment transition into cutting is quite quick, so the cutting will also give you a good scenic break. As your centre pic shows the area around the houses had fairly mature woodland, this extended (outside the fence) to the top of the cutting giving you extra masking going off stage.

As @nerron mentions ‘desirable residence’ average house price there is £850,000, vs uk average of £250k (three bed currently on for offers above £700k)

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Instead of!

It’s amazing how you spend three years building a model and it’s gone in two days…

It all depends on what you want from the hobby Jesse. If a big tailchaser will satisfy you, then go for it. From seeing you in action on Buckingham, I had you down as somebody who enjoys the operational side of the hobby. I am not sure how long a layout like the proposed one would give somebody who enjoys operation above the basic level of  "sending them round" any lasting satisfaction.

I am not saying that you shouldn't build it. Just that you should give that aspect some thought (if you haven't already) before you commit. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It all depends on what you want from the hobby Jesse. If a big tailchaser will satisfy you, then go for it. From seeing you in action on Buckingham, I had you down as somebody who enjoys the operational side of the hobby. I am not sure how long a layout like the proposed one would give somebody who enjoys operation above the basic level of  "sending them round" any lasting satisfaction.

I am not saying that you shouldn't build it. Just that you should give that aspect some thought (if you haven't already) before you commit. 

I understand what you mean Tony, however I haven’t much room. I obviously have much more room then others, but ill always be a big express and long freights kind of person.  I do like the operation side of things, but majority of the time I like to just watch trains go by. I like it a lot more now that I have my own stock that I’ve built trundling along. 

I disagree, however, with “basic level of sending them around”, I enjoy the complete picture of the model railway, making/setting the scene. It won’t just be trains on a board going round. It will be stock I’ve built running through my little slice of England that I’ve built. 

I personally think that sometimes models have too much going on. The little sections like Woolmer Green and many others get left out because it’s not interesting enough, there’s no station, goods yard, wedding at a church or any other kind industry. But to get to these busy stations and areas were these little humble areas that really show what the railways were made for, taking people to another place through the land, literally through it, tunnels, viaducts, cuttings etc. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I understand what you mean Tony, however I haven’t much room. I obviously have much more room then others, but ill always be a big express and long freights kind of person.  I do like the operation side of things, but majority of the time I like to just watch trains go by. I like it a lot more now that I have my own stock that I’ve built trundling along. 

I disagree, however, with “basic level of sending them around”, I enjoy the complete picture of the model railway, making/setting the scene. It won’t just be trains on a board going round. It will be stock I’ve built running through my little slice of England that I’ve built. 

I personally think that sometimes models have too much going on. The little sections like Woolmer Green and many others get left out because it’s not interesting enough, there’s no station, goods yard, wedding at a church or any other kind industry. But to get to these busy stations and areas were these little humble areas that really show what the railways were made for, taking people to another place through the land, literally through it, tunnels, viaducts, cuttings etc. 

I was simply referring to the operational side of things with my "simply sending them round" comment Jesse.

I am sure that you will gain huge amounts of fun and satisfaction from the constructional side, whatever you build.

My only concern was that you might put in lots of time and effort into building the layout and then find that operating it was a bit limited.

If that doesn't bother you then go for it!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I was simply referring to the operational side of things with my "simply sending them round" comment Jesse.

I am sure that you will gain huge amounts of fun and satisfaction from the constructional side, whatever you build.

My only concern was that you might put in lots of time and effort into building the layout and then find that operating it was a bit limited.

If that doesn't bother you then go for it!

Yeah I know mate, didn’t mean it in a nasty snap back kind of way.

I think this one will take me as far as living at home can get me. So after that it’s a nice big 40ft shed haha 

• Like 1

I’ve asked a few peoples opinions, so I thought I’d jump on here and ask everyone here as well. Everyone’s opinions and ideas will be welcomed!
Woolmer Greens curve starts just before the four tracks become two. After a few hours of looking at my track plans I have a few options. 

1. Have all points, so the four track to two and the crossover on the straight and then curve into the viaduct.

2. Have the four to two tracks on the straight, start curving into the crossover and then the viaduct 

3. Start the curve as the prototype.

One and two are the easiest routes to using the peco bullhead and also considering the curve into the fiddle yard. But is it too much modelling licence being used? It will still look like the prototype as the curve is very faint at the beginning. 

• Like 1