Bargain Hunters Mark 2

WARNING:

VIRUS INFECTED

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK

The link is fine - it takes you directly to the Sawyer website.  Perhaps your virus software is being a bit over zealous?

See also post #516.

It was Windows AV that picked it up for me, yet on Android using Chrome it had been fine before.......

Or had it?

It wasn't a case of a report by a Virus Scanner.

I suffered an attack, with hundreds of browser windows being opened, and had to shut the machine off,

There IS malware on this site.

If it doesn't attack your machine/browser, that is NOT proof that all visitors are safe.

Edited to add:  it is possible that the hack operates randomly/intermittently

Edited by Mike Buckner

See also post #516.

It was Windows AV that picked it up for me, yet on Android using Chrome it had been fine before.......

Or had it?

Nothing wrong with the link at all on Windows, Android or IOS - i would suggest your Antivirus is throwing false positives

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with the link at all on Windows, Android or IOS - i would suggest your Antivirus is throwing false positives

If the poster got hundreds of windows, that is real. You may have anti-malware software that stops you seeing them.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Or yours isn't detecting it.......

A non railway related bargain, half price luxury mince pies in Lidl :)

I suffered an attack, with hundreds of browser windows being opened, and had to shut the machine off,

If it doesn't attack your machine/browser, that is NOT proof that all visitors are safe.

Suggest you message the shop via RMWeb, they are members of this community

• RMweb Gold

It's not a genuine virus infection, although I agree there's a problem within the site that's not been fixed.

It's a dodgy script somewhere (either on the site, or via an externally linked one) that's running occasionally, pointing to a Turkish website hosting claims that you're infected and creating pop-ups with false information.

At the end of the day, it's just a dodgy website link - not an infection. Shut down your browser and it's gone. But Sawyers need to fix it for sure. It doesn't instill confidence as it stands.

Sorry - No bargain from me - But Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the links that have been shared this year. Looking forward to plenty more

Cheers

Rob

Edited to add that if you're running a pop-up blocker, you probably won't see the issue

Edited by Ely_South

• RMweb Gold

I run both a pop-up blocker and Ad-blocker, so probably explains the lack of issues I face when viewing the Sawyer website.

No matter what, it most definitely isn't a VIRUS as was originally implied.  Rather it is just an annoyance.  I agree with Rob in the previous post, Sawyer need to sort it out.

I run both a pop-up blocker and Ad-blocker, so probably explains the lack of issues I face when viewing the Sawyer website.

No matter what, it most definitely isn't a VIRUS as was originally implied.  Rather it is just an annoyance.  I agree with Rob in the previous post, Sawyer need to sort it out.

One thing we can all agree on... it's NOT a bargain!  Back on topic?

One thing we can all agree on... it's NOT a bargain!  Back on topic?

It's certainly not a bargain when you have to buy a new computer due to it being infected with a virus........

Why do we keep getting these daft posts hours or even days after the previous post? The conversation had finished. Surely that's much more distracting than having a brief discussion that is slightly off topic.

By the way. PC World have got bargain computers for those infected with viruses. https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html

Jason

It's certainly not a bargain when you have to buy a new computer due to it being infected with a virus........

Why do we keep getting these daft posts hours or even days after the previous post? The conversation had finished. Surely that's much more distracting than having a brief discussion that is slightly off topic.

By the way. PC World have got bargain computers for those infected with viruses. https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html

Jason

or you can get anti-virus software or reinstall the one you've got ... saving you buying a new one and leave more money for models

A new computer shouldn't be needed due a virus, if it dies hardware wise then it was likely to anyway.

Cleaning up the software on the other hand van be a right pain depending on the actual infection. Usually there are useful bootable discs that can remove most viruses and malware without the need for reinstall of windows. Most often it is malware from dodgy sites that cause the most annoyance as they can go undetected and slow down a computer.

if anyone is around West Somerset over the next few days, the Readers Halt bookstall at Minehead station (always worth a look anyway) had a good selection of seemingly new Middleton Press books going cheap today. I paid £6.00 for 'Wenford Bridge to Fowey'. I don't think they had space to put out everything they had as they mentioned they had lots more 'out the back'. I wish I'd had more time (and money) to browse further.

• Like 1

EVERYTHING OVER £20 ON EBAY 20% OFF!!! ENDS 6PM TODAY

PNY2018

Max Discount of £75

Will give good savings on trains!!!

Example:

Dapol 121 Rails of Sheffield eBay Shop: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202138189739 £123.50 Only £100.60 with discount!

(Note you have to "Proceed to Checkout" and scroll down to apply the discount code.)

Edited by centraltrains

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that (both of you!), I'd been hovering over buying a few small scenic bits that I don't really need but that might come in handy for various things, already at a decent price, so the extra 20% off, plus the sellers free postage for spending over £20, brought it down to just £24 instead of over £30.  Many thanks!