Bargain Hunters Mark 2

I saw the Silver, Gold, Green and Pink paint cans in store. Excuse my ignorance (new to spray painting) but are the Primers (Matt Black and Grey, and Satin Black) which NXEA! mentioned different to the paint colour sprays.

Ah yes, I do recall "luminous" colours on occasion! The primer colours in theory have a greater filling property thus giving a slightly thicker coating and are used as a base on bare metal/plastic etc but they can be used just as a top coat if desired; I usually go with the Matt ones, not tried satin.

For example, Chris Nevard has been known to use just black, grey and red primer car aerosols in combination to weather track to excellent effect in very little time.

Edit; with apologies, as Metroland says, a better topic for a separate thread.

Edited by Signaller69

• RMweb Gold

Hattons email is showing some Dapol O gauge Panniers at anything from £40 off! - The BR Black 7400 Class RRP £400, was £340, now £295.    6400 Class Sound fitted pannier was £467.50 now £395.  If anyone wants an O Gauge pannier, bloody good prices in my opinion!

Rich

Apologies for not replying to you all, I didn’t think it’d generate such a discussion. A comparison photo between different shades and a photo of the can is on Metr0Land’s thread. I compared my efforts to the post-war teaks I have from the R2981 Olympic set - certainly a lot lighter, but still a fair representation for what I’m after. FWIW the Matt Black is pretty decent too.

... (Poundland) also do 2 part "Bond Together" epoxy resin in a syringe dispenser which is as good as the premium brands imo.

And IMO too.  It's good stuff for a quid - as is their superglue!

• RMweb Premium

And IMO too.  It's good stuff for a quid - as is their superglue!

Having had too many brand named superglue become unusable when still half full, I now only use Poundland's version.

Less money wasted when it needs binning. Unfortunately it is becoming more expensive

10 tubes > 8 tubes, now 6 tubes. Quite a rise over 10 years or so.

Keith

Having had too many brand named superglue become unusable when still half full, I now only use Poundland's version.

Less money wasted when it needs binning. Unfortunately it is becoming more expensive

Keith

Slightly O/T but perhaps a worthwhile warning

I have found after 6 months or so, things stuck with Poundland superglue become unstuck again, it bonds well in the short term but degrades quickly.

Rhys

Keith

Edited by cb900f

• RMweb Gold

Lanetop models preorder Oxford Rail Mk3a BR Blue Coaches for buy one get one 25% off

No connection other than a very satisfied customer

https://www.lanetopmodels.co.uk/oxford-rail-coaches/page/0/

While looking round for a friend of mine tonight, Collett Models have got the Oxford Mk3s for £27.95 each - not quite as cheap as the above if you want two or more, but for single purchases a bit cheaper.  Not sure what postage difference is tho.  Thought it may interest someone.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

We don't have 'Poundland' but we do have Wilkinson's. Yes I have had some tubes go off after a being opened and left. To get over that problem Wilkinson's now sell a multi pack - 4 x 0.5gm tubes.

Ray

I use Polish glue, in gel or liquid, called “Kropelka” it will stick anything to anything and the opened tubes last for months. Polish shops usually sell it, less than £1, c50-75p

I’ve a sentimental London 2012 mug that broke a handle, in 2012.. years of dish washing it’s still solid... all my various tiny loco bits..from class 52 brake gear to oxfords mk3 door steps are held with the tip of a cocktail sticks worth.

“Zel” is the blue boxed one, in gel form, the liquid is in a Black box, 2g tubes.

The only gripe is after use it seals up the dropper (the secret to it not drying out), so you need a pin to pierce the dropper for resume, occasionally the lid seals itself to the dropper and you need pliers (seriously) to reopen it.. but it’s good stuff.

So.. Caution, it does exactly what it says on the tin.. keep fingers away !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Ian Allan Birmingham have about 12 Bachmann birdcage coaches in the SE&CR green livery for £45 each.

It might be a bargain for someone it's not my thing but I thought I'd pass the info on.

(Sorry couldn't find the Birmingham bargain hunters thread)

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan Birmingham have about 12 Bachmann birdcage coaches in the SE&CR green livery for £45 each.

It might be a bargain for someone it's not my thing but I thought I'd pass the info on.

(Sorry couldn't find the Birmingham bargain hunters thread)

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin

I spotted those, they are actually the Olive Green ones.

39-601, 39-611 & 39-621

A certain Merseyside retailer wants £55 for them!

Rest of the stuff is the same, still plenty of Dean Goods!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Until 8pm tonight 10% off anything on eBay.

Minimum spend £20.

Use code PUMPKINS

Spot on that, been eyeing up a Bachmann 66711 ‘sence’ And with the discount I got £11.50 off but as I went through the TopCashback website too I got another 1% off the entire order which included a few other items so another £1.45 off and an extra bonus of £2.50 off them too so down from £115 to £99.55

Happy with that

Combining Offers like that (where possible) make certain items more palatable, I am watching a Ltd Ed loco I’ve been after that would have taken £20+ off the buy it now price but I decided to get the 66 instead, it’s worth remembering that the likes of rails have a shop on there so their latest ltd ed 66727 ‘maritime’ will have had £17 off today up until 8pm

• Like 1

Spot on that, been eyeing up a Bachmann 66711 ‘sence’ And with the discount I got £11.50 off but as I went through the TopCashback website too I got another 1% off the entire order which included a few other items so another £1.45 off and an extra bonus of £2.50 off them too so down from £115 to £99.55

Are you sure? - One of the top cashback restrictions that is does not apply when

• "Using a promotional/voucher code not posted and approved by TopCashback."

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure? - One of the top cashback restrictions that is does not apply when

• "Using a promotional/voucher code not posted and approved by TopCashback."

TopCashback were giving the code out as well. 

• Like 1

Anybody fancies the Dapol limited edition 00 SR "Kent & Sussex Dairies" 6-wheel milk tanker but doesn't want the used one currently on Rails of Sheffield's Ebay listing at only £26.55 (and that's apparently with 10% off), FWIW I just got a brand new one from Simply Southern for £12.95 ...

• RMweb Premium

Anybody fancies the Dapol limited edition 00 SR "Kent & Sussex Dairies" 6-wheel milk tanker but doesn't want the used one currently on Rails of Sheffield's Ebay listing at only £26.55 (and that's apparently with 10% off), FWIW I just got a brand new one from Simply Southern for £12.95 ...

And who are Simply Southern?

Keith

EDIT found it after quite a bit of searching:

https://shop.simplysouthern.co.uk/

Edited by melmerby