Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Premium

Some Bachmann Locos in Ian Allan, Birmingham:

31-884 4F 44044 £85 (2)

32-176 Crab 42765 £90 (2)

31-481 G2A 49106 £90 (4)

31-883 4F MR 3848 £78 (3)

Still have several of the Midland 1Fs from last week.

A couple of Peco gauge 1 points:

SL-E896 G1 LH Electrofrog £70 (2)

Loads of 1:1750 scale “Olympic” steamships £5

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Would this be a bargain for someone who has never used an airbrush before? (but would like to have a go sometime)

Despite already ownig 2 Iwatas I've plumped for this one with extra bits and bobs as I think it's worth it. However, they may go off sale before I can report back on actual usage! For a new user I guess it comes down to - can you afford to write off the sum of money if it all goes pear-shaped for you?  I'm in the fortunate position that it won't hurt me if I've wasted my money but of course money is tighter for some of us than others.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071JBRHFH?pf_rd_p=338d5482-a910-4f62-b1e2-a66912b500ea&pf_rd_r=2AQFYFCXHC2F3KJTCVS9

Think they already have....

Currently on a flash sale for £21.91 with at the time of posting a little under 4.5 hours to go.

Don't know how that compares to the price before, but I thought it was worth a punt as it looks like it'll be better than what I have and I don't do enough airbrushing to justify the cost of an Iwata etc.

And it seems to have gone off sale again in the space of five minutes :scratchhead:

Edited by Cleefy

• RMweb Premium

Dremel 3-in-1 Workstation/Drill Press (Drill not included) on sale on Amazon for £26-99 (normally £39-99) - today (Saturday) only:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Workstation-Rotary-Holder-Flex-Shaft/dp/B0012RQG94/ref=gbps_img_m-5_9e06_7258dce1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1a7cfa18-af04-4d9a-8c4c-571fe5739e06&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14351804031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=KVNH1BFQ66MCXCB8WF42

HTH

polybear

No connections etc etc.

Edited by polybear

Dremel 3-in-1 Workstation/Drill Press (Drill not included) on sale on Amazon for £26-99 (normally £39-99) - today (Saturday) only:

Bother.  I have a fairly old cordless Dremel (800) that I was sure wouldn't fit this, but I had a look at the Amazon listing out of curiosity anyway, and apparently it does fit.  I might have to buy one now...

Good price, but bad reviews, too much movement in stand, so they say.

That's a relief, I might not have to buy one after all!

Actually, the first clutch of reviews that are presented on the main product listing page seem a bit skewed.  According to the stats only 9% of reviewers gave it only one or two stars, yet what they show you is three one/two star reviews and four four/five star reviews, which doesn't seem very representative of the actual spread of reviews.

I have to wonder why Amazon (who are generally pretty good at this sort of stuff) would use an algorithm that seems to make the product look worse than it needs to.

Edited by ejstubbs

I have one of these, bought about 18 months ago. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the reviews... it's a decent bit of kit and very very useful. IIRC, it's flat-pack, so needs care when assembling. Any sloppiness that develops during use can be adjusted, I think I've had to "take up the slack" once since I bought it. There are cheap generic mini drill stands available and these are truly awful. If you have a Dremel, get the Dremel stand (especially with discount) and you shouldn't have any reason to be unhappy with it.

• RMweb Premium

For those after a cheap airbrush there are plenty like those posted on the last page available on ebay, such as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Action-Air-Brush-Airbrush-Kit-Spray-Gun-compressor-Paint-Art-Cake-Craft-x1/173667927242?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D0533a84702684ef3a68c92fbebf0591f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173581205243%26itm%3D173667927242&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Ignore any reference to cakes or make-up, they are basically cheap copies of Iwatta (or similar) and work well. All you need is a compressor to power it.

Edited by Nile

25%, 1 in 4 reviews were critical. To me, thats a lot.  Amazon , will have had these back, hence the sell off. The original stands, were excellent, i have one, but these look a lot more flimsy. I suppose you pays your money ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• RMweb Premium

Though it's worth bearing in mind that people are much more likely to leave a bad review if they're unhappy; if they're happy then many simply don't bother to leave any review, which of course slews the results somewhat.

Also (and I've not read the reviews) how many of those complaining may have expected too much from what is a hobby tool?  If they're trying to bang a 6 mil hole thru' a block of steel then the poor thing is bound to complain...

It's true.  Mine's occasionally useful and certainly better than nothing at times, but you do have to plan ahead and compensate for the inevitable randomness. 

• RMweb Gold

10% off eBay today when you use the code 'PEACHY', see the ebay website for more details.

cheers, been waiting for one of these offers to come along, got £17 off the rails ltd ed 66727 "maritime", on top of that 1.05% cashback through topcashback dropped it to a more palatable £151  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For it's normal price (around £40) I got an Aldi (Workzone) multi-speed bench drill press.

Solid metal all round, complete with a workpiece vice. Great for all but the very smallest jobs (e.g.<1.00mm)

You do need permanent space to put it though as it is pretty heavy!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seller still gets full amount, it’s funded by eBay. Sometimes they do 20% too

More likely the seller, ebays fees are 12.5% and shutl (by Hermes) is also ebay affiliated.

Offering 10% off the end user, ebays still getting 2.5%, its not being funded, its just a reduced revenue, offset by people being prepared to pay more for an item, which they otherwise might not buy, and sellers who may not list.. either way ebays still a winner.

• RMweb Gold

More likely the seller, ebays fees are 12.5% and shutl (by Hermes) is also ebay affiliated.

Offering 10% off the end user, ebays still getting 2.5%, its not being funded, its just a reduced revenue, offset by people being prepared to pay more for an item, which they otherwise might not buy, and sellers who may not list.. either way ebays still a winner.

Not that straightforward to apply.After initial patrolling of the website,I have decided  ( if I actually do make use of the10% ) to stick with B.I.N.items without the "or best offer" option in order to maximise the full potential.

That has narrowed my field considerably.But there IS one that makes it worthwhile,taking into account possible discounting ( a dirty word that ) in other retail sectors.

• RMweb Gold

10% off eBay today when you use the code 'PEACHY', see the ebay website for more details.

Thanks for this.  Got an old Airfix Class 31 as a BIN earlier today, and a Metropolitan Bo-Bo as winning bid just now in an auction so it def works twice

• Like 1

Not that straightforward to apply.After initial patrolling of the website,I have decided  ( if I actually do make use of the10% ) to stick with B.I.N.items without the "or best offer" option in order to maximise the full potential.

That has narrowed my field considerably.But there IS one that makes it worthwhile,taking into account possible discounting ( a dirty word that ) in other retail sectors.

You can maximise the  potential and use the "or best offer" function, as once the "offer" is agreed, you click pay, it opens a new tab for you to pay in, you then close the new tab, and the agreed price is sitting in your basket!

I've just bought a basket full of stuff (with the discount code applied) which had 2 best offers in.

Edited by MatthewCarty
  • Like 1

Those 37’s where £90 in the sale of the century, missed out on the colas because I sat debating whether to get one, by the time I had made my mind up they had all sold out!

Don't beat yourself up, it was the Bachmann Colas 37421 (#32-389) which was in the Sale of the Century at £90, not the Merl Evans variant which is today's offer.

I bought the 37421 back in August from another reseller, thinking it was a bargain at £110.46 only to see it at £90 in Hattons SotC.