Bargain Hunters Mark 2

Looks like the shop ceased trading at the end of December. Selling off all remaining stock at at least 35% discount. Still a lot of good stock at very low prices.

I would urge caution. I know Swindon well and this is the first I have heard of this company.

I was nearly scammed by a site pretending to sell bikes at a discount. I placed an order and got a phone call saying that my card had not gone through and that I would have to send money by bank transfer. Thankfully I didn't but I know that other people got caught by it and lost a lot of money.

If you do want to buy something, test them with a small purchase.

• RMweb Premium

Live in Swindon.

Never heard of them. No evidence of a shop.

Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole

Especially as it says "We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours"

How? There's no evidence of a shop address

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I would urge caution. I know Swindon well and this is the first I have heard of this company

That is most probably because they weren’t in Swindon but in Royal Wootton Basset! Theirshop was in the arcade offt the high street.

Tim T

I would urge caution. I know Swindon well and this is the first I have heard of this company

That is most probably because they weren’t in Swindon but in Royal Wootton Basset! Theirshop was in the arcade offt the high street.

Tim T

Tim T

That is most probably because they weren’t in Swindon but in Royal Wootton Basset! Their shop was in the arcade offt the high street.

Tim T

I think you're confusing Mark's Models with Malcom's Models.

• RMweb Gold

I think you're confusing Mark's Models with Malcom's Models.

Yes that. Also Mark's models was mostly plastic aircraft with a very small selection of railway items.

Not to mention if you Google Mark's Models you can find evidence of it actually existing...

Edited by 30801

Another consideration is, if they have no physical shop they're not supposed to be able to sell the Peco ranges (except for a select few shops) generally.

Toher other consideration is, if they're not an affiliated seller with Bachmann/Hornby etc, the status of warranties can become murky.

• RMweb Premium

No record of it on any of the business sites either and they linger for years*

This also sounds dodgy: "With the shop now being closed, our phone number is now invalid"

Closed at the end of December and phone already gone?

Odd, where is all this stock being kept then? (seems to be plenty)

e.g. If you search for Bobs Models (in Solihull), you will still find it on several business directory sites, but they closed a few years back.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Perhaps a case of a pungent class 25.

Seems odd there are 2,880 or so product lines available - enough to tempt anyone...  12 items per page in the 'shop' with 240 pages indicated, I tested a random selection of the pages and they all seem to have different items on them.  Do many local model shops carry this many lines - no wonder they 'went out of business'!

Perhaps someone could check back here when they have had a successful purchase experience.

PS

Website is quite slick though - perhaps other websites take note or hire the guy who set it up :-)

Edited by H2O

Well, I wish I had seen all of this re: Malcom's models before I placed an order.

As sales goes, 35% off didn't seem too excessive to me.

Time will tell if it proves to be fake and at least the card I used to pay expires at the end of the month!  i'll update as an when I know anything.

When I looked, there were many items which didn't have any stock, which suggests either others had bought the last remaining stock (or fake stock!) or it is all part of an elaborate scam.

fingers crossed!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Another consideration is, if they have no physical shop they're not supposed to be able to sell the Peco ranges (except for a select few shops) generally.

Toher other consideration is, if they're not an affiliated seller with Bachmann/Hornby etc, the status of warranties can become murky.

Although if you read their front page on the website, they do state thanks to their suppliers, which includes a wholesaler for such ranges, so if it is fake, it’s elaborate and they know the industry / have copied something that does.

• RMweb Gold

If it helps...

This website was registered by Godaddy ***yesterday*** ...

valid for 1 year.

Domain Name: MALCOLMSMODELSOFSWINDON.COM

Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com

Updated Date: 2019-01-21T00:00:40Z

Creation Date: 2019-01-21T00:00:39Z

Registry Expiry Date: 2020-01-21T00:00:39Z

Edit apologies i noticed someone else spotted this.

Edit 2: with a bit of research, i have a full name / address / phone number of the registrant, it is based in Bridestowe, Exeter, according to a registar.

Edited by adb968008

Well, I wish I had seen all of this re: Malcom's models before I placed an order.

As sales goes, 35% off didn't seem too excessive to me.

Time will tell if it proves to be fake and at least the card I used to pay expires at the end of the month!  i'll update as an when I know anything.

When I looked, there were many items which didn't have any stock, which suggests either others had bought the last remaining stock (or fake stock!) or it is all part of an elaborate scam.

fingers crossed!

Chris

The good thing is you paid hopefully with your credit card, at least you’ll have some protection if it’s a scam....

Given the Paignton mail address I would say someone should mention the Swindon web site to the Paington Model Shop owners.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/863981/devon-model-train-robbery-paignton-toy-Hornby-cctv-image-united-kingdom

Didnt the Paington model shop have a large amount of stock stolen in a bugulary not so long ago?
Not suggesting anything suspisious

Ray

• RMweb Premium

If you were a model shop that had been open for less than 2 years and decided to close why go to the trouble of starting a new website to sell off the remaining stock?

In fact why didn't they have a website even if they weren't into e-commerce, just to let everyone know what they stocked?

We did that when we had a guest house.

Lots of info, links, pictures etc. and the 'phone number for bookings.

Also why not use e-bay which would be less costly?

keith

Maybe someone local to Paignton should contact the police

The Paignton theft was solved back in 2017 https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/great-train-robbery-thief-found-897678

Given a lot of the stock is far newer that is a pretty unfounded allegation whatever the legality of the web site may be. Curious that my credit card was until earlier this evening showing the monies as pending (ie, not payment not made) and now has no record of it

Edited by Butler Henderson

Not a model railway bargain but for anyone that enjoys travelling around, Northern Railway (which covers local services over all of North West, North East and East Midlands, down as far as Nottingham) are running their newspaper offer again.  Remember that the RMT are striking on Saturdays so the usefulness of the weekend ticket is variable, but the weekday offering is good.

A weekday rover ticket (three vouchers, plus £10 for adults or £5 for children) gets you an all-day Northern rover.

See https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia for details.

List of Johnson Press titles carrying the vouchers is here https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/newspaper-offer/341-participating-papers-jpimedia which also lists the dates the vouchers are in.

• RMweb Premium

Update - payment made, location is given as Okehampton.

Mm.

Swindon - Paignton- Okehampton - ?

Any body guess where the next address the money goes to is?

I'm betting on Nigeria. :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

You're closer to brum than a lot of people!

Mike.

True, in fact I'm probably marginally closer to Brum than the Severn Valley.

As for where the next payment heads to, if the owner wants to enjoy life (so to speak) what about Jersey?

If it helps...

This website was registered by Godaddy ***yesterday*** ...

valid for 1 year.

Domain Name: MALCOLMSMODELSOFSWINDON.COM

Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com

Updated Date: 2019-01-21T00:00:40Z

Creation Date: 2019-01-21T00:00:39Z

Registry Expiry Date: 2020-01-21T00:00:39Z

Edit apologies i noticed someone else spotted this.

Edit 2: with a bit of research, i have a full name / address / phone number of the registrant, it is based in Bridestowe, Exeter, according to a registar.

If I recall correctly, Bridestowe a few months back had an e-bay model shop, with really keen prices where people had lots of problems getting their stock (e-bay feedback), and it were discussed on this forum.  I did (before reading about it) get a Hornby wagon from there, but I know someone who won a loco and had to go through paypal buyer protection.....

May be just a strange coincidence.......