Bargain Hunters Mark 2

If I recall correctly, Bridestowe a few months back had an e-bay model shop, with really keen prices where people had lots of problems getting their stock (e-bay feedback), and it were discussed on this forum.  I did (before reading about it) get a Hornby wagon from there, but I know someone who won a loco and had to go through paypal buyer protection.....

May be just a strange coincidence.......

Just reread the thread about Canns Interstellars Traders and very similar features with this new site - presenting a lot of up-to-date stock - no telephone number - No trace of alleged physical store -

Maybe someone local to Paignton should contact the police

Perhaps a slightly overreaction there, after all, what evidence does anyone have that anything illegal at all is going on here? Consider for a moment the possibility that everything with this website is above board (because beyond people not hearing about this store before - although it is a bit weird I grant you - there hasn't been any evidence whatsoever that anything dodgy is going on ), is it really sensible or decent to be making insinuations that they're involved with a robbery?

Maybe someone local to Paignton should contact the police

Why?

No crime has been committed.... the police are generally reactive to crime....

Secondly, who is the victim? In all seriousness, most folk will have used a credit card or PayPal to make the purchases... if the website is established to be fraudulent, then PayPal/credit card companies will refund the end user.... Then, it’s the credit card companies that become the victim, as they are now out of pocket and up to them to report same to the police....

Have a read at the purchase protection insurance included in your credit card, you might be pleasantly surprised.

If your daft enough to send cash through the post, then you have no protection....

• RMweb Premium

I thought that section 75 of the consumer protection act - credit card protection - only kicked in at values over £100.  If that is correct then some buyers may indeed be exposed.

I am not sure that I agree that you should not report it as being suspicious.  After all if you saw someone climbing through a neighbours window you would/should have no worry about reporting suspicious activity to the police.  I would hope you would not say, not my problem, I will suffer no loss.

• Like 1

I thought that section 75 of the consumer protection act - credit card protection - only kicked in at values over £100.  If that is correct then some buyers may indeed be exposed.

I am not sure that I agree that you should not report it as being suspicious.  After all if you saw someone climbing through a neighbours window you would/should have no worry about reporting suspicious activity to the police.  I would hope you would not say, not my problem, I will suffer no loss.

True, but at the moment the only indication is that the website is new and nobody recognises the name of the store. Thats hardly on the same level is it?

You are quite correct about S.75 though - needs to be over £100.00 to kick in 

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold

I'd have tried a small test purchase, but they don't accept PayPal and I didn't fancy testing over a hundred quid on a card.

It's a slick website with a search that works and it sends you a mail if you leave an item in your cart without checking out.

Bent as a nine bob note though.

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify my above post.

Without sharing publically (though the data is public if you know where to look, behind the hidden bits)..

I can confirm there is no Malcolm or Swindon in the registration details, beyond the url name.

Of course that doesn’t mean there might not be someone called Malcolm, who does or does not live in Swindon, who has a model railway or not and theregistrant is or is not in some way involved. However to be sure, I’ve provided the details I have to someone who can confirm there credential ties to be badges listed on the website... if the badges claimed to be represented are false...well that would be fraudulent .. wouldn’t it ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a reminder there are only seven days remaining for the Strathwood Christmas and New Year Sale which ends on 31 January 2019. Have a look at the website www.strathwood.co.uk for some cracking bargains with some of our older titles at less than half price for another seven days only. Many of our more recent titles are also close to selling out with reduced print runs now applying.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I'd have tried a small test purchase, but they don't accept PayPal and I didn't fancy testing over a hundred quid on a card.

It's a slick website with a search that works and it sends you a mail if you leave an item in your cart without checking out.

Bent as a nine bob note though.

Sadly, if is a complete scam it doesn't matter that you made a small purchase, you may have now given way your credit card details for somebody to make a big purchase...

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, if is a complete scam it doesn't matter that you made a small purchase, you may have now given way your credit card details for somebody to make a big purchase...

Roy

They don't have my card details :)

The lack of PayPal is another reason to be wary.

I am late into the conversation but normally when something looks too good it is not, on the other hand quite often scams try to look genuine by offering items just below discounted rates

I would be very wary where there is no history or details which can be cross referenced,  and only pay using a system where funds can be reclaimed

Just out of interest has anyone tried to either take up the offer to view said items or verbally contact the company 

• RMweb Premium

I am late into the conversation but normally when something looks too good it is not, on the other hand quite often scams try to look genuine by offering items just below discounted rates

I would be very wary where there is no history or details which can be cross referenced,  and only pay using a system where funds can be reclaimed

Just out of interest has anyone tried to either take up the offer to view said items or verbally contact the company 

No shop address ("It has shut"), although they invite you to visit.

The website spiel is written as if it was up and running before the shop closed, however that cannot be true as it was only registered and live a couple of days ago.

No telephone. Claims to have been disconnected on closure of "real" shop.

You are left with just the e-mail: malcolmsmodels@mail.com*

Locals familiar with Swindon have never heard of them.

No evidence of "Malcolms Models of Swindon" on any business pages.

Website newly created a couple of days ago.

*Quote:

"Mail.com is a web portal and web-based email service provider owned by the German internet company United Internet. It offers news articles and videos and a free webmail application with unlimited storage."

It would be interesting to know when their email address was registered.

I'm definitely not going to try to contact them

Keith

Does Okehampton link to this thread  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101406-new-model-shop-okehampton/

"After the closure of the model shop at Okehampton Station the "Emporium" in Market street purchased the stock and the lady that runs it has decided to continue selling model railway equipment by Hornby, Bachmann and Graham Farish."

Edited by Butler Henderson

They don't have my card details :)

The lack of PayPal is another reason to be wary.

To me the lack of paypal isn't particularly meaningful, recently I was shopping online for a couple of wagons that I planned to buy using paypal, checked many online stores including some well known names and found that only about half of them took paypal. IIRC even a few of them that sell things on ebay (therefore requiring paypal at the moment) didn't have it in their website checkout process.

• RMweb Gold

To me the lack of paypal isn't particularly meaningful,

It really is.

It means the potentially dubious seller doesn't get your card details.

It means you don't have to spend more than £100 on a credit card.

PayPal's charge back procedure is simple and favours the customer.

If this shop took PayPal I'd maybe take a punt as there'd be nothing to lose.

• Like 1

I called into Transport Models at Oyston Mill, Preston yesterday.

Currently having a 20% off sale on everything. Apparently this is just a seasonal sale, not related to the future of the premises.

John.

Thanks John :)

IIRC it is a regular occurrence at this time of year for them.

If it is too good to be true...

No business address or telephone number. 

Which violates the requirements of e-commerce legislation.

A website involved in distance selling MUST show a real geographic address (i.e. a PO box would not suffice).

Trading standards would be the next port of call but they're probably too busy.

Not if you use a separate card for non mail order transaction and consequently have blocked any further transactions on the mail order card with a new card and  number being  issued. I usually change my mail order card number every few years (bit like the advice to change your password) and it was due for a change anyway.

The £100 is in the legislation but most (all?) credit card companies will refund fraudulent transactions of any amount to avoid otherwise the bad press they will get

It really is.

PayPal's charge back procedure is simple and favours the customer.

If this shop took PayPal I'd maybe take a punt as there'd be nothing to lose.

We're coming at this from opposite ends. The point I was making is that numerous reputable sellers do not take paypal.

But lets get back to the real purpose of this thread before we have to have a Mk3 version.

Edited by ChrisH-UK

• RMweb Gold

More on the bargain table in ian Allen Birmingham

Atlantic £120

Austerity £100

Gwr city £80

E7C6BC76-A457-4D00-9D8F-EDBD7F55B735.jpg

A41AA46B-044E-4CFC-9D05-790C829940F2.jpg

NSE 47 £90

C7A78AFD-8380-46AF-BAC6-12643BB64760.jpg

Wickham trolley £40!

94719ABD-167B-4A62-89CD-B9B7509CDB9C.jpg

Lots of wagons

F5FF3208-4C2F-4511-B7BE-BE620ECFD407.jpg

EFE wartime bus £7

7B0FB2CF-E81F-4934-B001-4DB504A70BF7.jpg

Box codes

0DE14884-17AD-4F26-9DCF-6636E1B1A4C3.jpg

Just realised there are a couple of warships in that stack that I never spotted in the shop, hopefully melmerby May call in too and get a price on those!

• Like 1

If your daft enough to send cash through the post, then you have no protection....

It may get you an address though. ;)

Update - payment made, location is given as Okehampton.

I hope you had chance to bid a fond farewell and kiss it goodbye.

• Like 2