Bargain Hunters Mark 2

A Oakes sale this Saturday 

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

THIS SATURDAY 2nd March.

Look for the 
2 BLUE CROSSES. THIS MEANS 1/2 SALE PRICE On Selected
Hornby, Bachmann Locos, Coaches etc   

limited stock so come early on Saturday from 9. a.m. 

Hornby Railroad Class 40 with sound £124.99 Sale Price £106,24 This Sat.XX 
£53.12,

Hornby Queen Scots R3402 Train Pack £329.99 Sale Price £296.99 This Sat XX £148.49,

Bachmann 32-353 Class 4MT £134.95 Sale Price £114,74 This Sat. XX £57.37,

Hornby R3422 Southern Radial Loco £139.99 Sale Price £118.99 This Sat XX £59.49,

Hornby Railroad 040 Locos Various Models £39.99 Sale Price £20.00 This Sat XX £10.00,

Bachmann 32-254A WDAusterity £159.95 Sale Price £135.95 Sat XX £67.97,

Hornby R3426 Q6 Loco £154.99, Sale Price £131.74 This Sat.£65.87

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Still lots on the reduced table at ian Allen Birmingham, all the network rail triple pack wagons have gone though but Dapol OO gauge weathered silver bullets have appeared on the table at £22 which is a real bargain, only 3 there as I bought the other 7 (gives me a nice rake of 10 so far) 

lots of the teak coaches left and still a few O gauge autocars 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, big jim said:

Dapol OO gauge weathered silver bullets have appeared on the table at £22 which is a real bargain, only 3 there as I bought the other 7 (gives me a nice rake of 10 so far)

There were 12 on Thursday with three different numbers, so mus t be selling well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

There were 12 on Thursday with three different numbers, so mus t be selling well.

Not surprised at £22! 

(I’m actually stood looking at the front of the shop right now waiting for a taxi wondering if I should go get the last 3!) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

If you're wondering if you'd get on with an Optivisor headband-mounted magnifier but you don't want to spend the money on the kosher article, this is a steal at the price ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Magnifier-Hands-Free-Magnifying-Glass-Optivisor/283148872032?hash=item41ecfce960:g:qIAAAOSwz2JbXYg6:rk:1:pf:0

OK the headband itself's decidedly cheap 'n' cheerful but it works, and the glass lenses seem to be of perfectly adequate quality.  At least now I've established which dioptre lens works best for me in conjunction with my reading glasses.  Courier delivery too!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, spikey said:

If you're wondering if you'd get on with an Optivisor headband-mounted magnifier but you don't want to spend the money on the kosher article, this is a steal at the price ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Magnifier-Hands-Free-Magnifying-Glass-Optivisor/283148872032?hash=item41ecfce960:g:qIAAAOSwz2JbXYg6:rk:1:pf:0

OK the headband itself's decidedly cheap 'n' cheerful but it works, and the glass lenses seem to be of perfectly adequate quality.  At least now I've established which dioptre lens works best for me in conjunction with my reading glasses.  Courier delivery too!

Many thanks for the tip; i'd been looking at these (or similar) some months ago and did wonder if they were any good.  Just ordered one (lucky enough to get one for £10.52 - last one, but will have to wait for delivery from China).  Did find them for £12-20 from UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Headband-Magnifier-Head-Magnifier-Hands-Free-Magnifying-Glass-Optivisor-UK/392239583945?hash=item5b534d12c9:g:qIAAAOSwz2JbXYg6:rk:33:pf:0

HTH

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Following has appeared on Sawyer Models website.

BIRTHDAY WEEK PROMOTION

To celebrate our owner’s 36th birthday on March 5th, starting at 10am on Monday 4th March and running until 10pm Sunday 10th, we are taking an extra 10% off your basket total! To apply the 10%, at the checkout type ‘birthday’ into the ‘have a coupon? Click here to enter your code’ and 10% will automatically be deducted!

This is a website only promotion and is not available in store or at any exhibitions we are attending over the weekend.

Please note that the Bachmann Thomas Range & Railway Theatre Company Layouts are excluded.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, spikey said:

Well that's twice now that I've gone to the Sawyer Models site and been unable to fathom out how you see what they have in stock and how much it is ...

I've just looked. I clicked on "Shop" and then the yellow numbers of the categories I was interested in and up came the items and prices.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, spikey said:

Well that's twice now that I've gone to the Sawyer Models site and been unable to fathom out how you see what they have in stock and how much it is ...

Good afternoon,

I find their website very easy to navigate compared to many out there. Clicking 'shop' in the main menu takes you to the shop page (there are several instructions on the page which direct you to this) then scroll until you find the category that interests you and click on it. You will then find sub categories to make browsing easier. Paypal is offered at the secure checkout so you can pay with Paypal or use your card. They also accept BACS and payment over the telephone which I have done on a few occasions where I have been unable to travel to the shop.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Charles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm.  OK, but I still think it's a rotten layout for a website and it certainly doesn't encourage me to spend money on it.

A pound to a penny says I'm not the only one who, when faced with a home page featuring a large photo of the firm's shop, assumes that "Shop (click here to be taken to the shop page") would take me to the shop ...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, spikey said:

Hmmm.  OK, but I still think it's a rotten layout for a website and it certainly doesn't encourage me to spend money on it.

A pound to a penny says I'm not the only one who, when faced with a home page featuring a large photo of the firm's shop, assumes that "Shop (click here to be taken to the shop page") would take me to the shop ...

Its not the best layout but hardly a rotten one.

You have made the assumption to click on the shop to enter the site, not every site is written the same

I would have thought the “shop (click here to be taken to the shop page)” link at the top of the page would have been a massive give away.

should have gone to specsavers.

personally i find it an easy site to use and have used it many times matched with great service.

Anyway moving on......

edit,

and that link works perfectly for me so maybe a browser issue 

Edited by Garry D100
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

36 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

You have made the assumption to click on the shop to enter the site ...

And you've assumed that I said I'd clicked on the picture of the shop  :)

Whatever, you like the site and it gets your money: I don't and it doesn't.  Seems fair enough to me, so as you say ... moving on ....

• Funny 1

Any more bargains out there?

This looks like a good discount; not my cup o' tea mind:

https://railsofsheffield.com/?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=52acca84b4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_09_COPY_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-52acca84b4-5338893

Edited by leopardml2341
Added link to a bargain (?)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, spikey said:

And you've assumed that I said I'd clicked on the picture of the shop  :)

Whatever, you like the site and it gets your money: I don't and it doesn't.  Seems fair enough to me, so as you say ... moving on ....

Ha ha, and before you say i should have gone to specsavers......i did.......and they were rubbish :-)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Ha ha, and before you say i should have gone to specsavers......i did.......and they were rubbish :-)

Well, I went to Specsavers, but no bargain model railways.... I made a right spectacle of myself.

• Funny 3