Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a bargain as such but if you are in the market for one of Bachmanns new OO CCT coaches that have just been released dont forget Invicta Rail originally did these as their ltd edition and its around £10 cheaper than bachmanns catalogue version plus free postage.

Still some Maroon, BR Blue and BR Blue weathered in stock, just bagged some blue ones .

https://www.invictamodelrail.com/exclusive-limited-edition-oo-260-c.asp

Hope thats of use to someone. 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Ian Allan this morning, still lots of Thompson coaches but also some diesel locos 

D27E965C-1532-4129-90E7-3921BEEB9A0B.jpg

sound 47001 £140

powerhaul livery 66 £80

gbrf sense £90 

freightliner 70 (revised grilles) £110

The 37 is having a trip to iport today, couldn’t resist it as I had £10 on my loyalty card, will look nice on the ‘preserved line’ on my new layout when I build it!

Edited by big jim
Fat fingers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, big jim said:

Ian Allan this morning, still lots of Thompson coaches but also some diesel locos 

sound 47001 £140

powerhaul livery 66 £80

gbrf sense £90 

The 37 is having a trip to iport today, couldn’t resist it as I had £10 on my loyalty card, will look nice on the ‘preserved line’ on my new layout when I build it!

Perhaps the Ian Allen bargain table should have its own thread to prevent modellers who have NO chance of taking advantage of the offers becoming inordinately distressed?  :jester:

Or, not to single out Ian Allen particularly, perhaps there should be a "callers only" Bargain Hunters thread as there have been a number of bargains posted here that are only available if one is able to visit a particular shop.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Right, and I want a thread just for o gauge bargains, and Fred wants one just for 1930s LMS in N gauge........

Sorry, that is just bonkers. A bargain is a bargain. I can't get to Ian Allan either but I am capable of moving swiftly on.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

33 minutes ago, big jim said:

sound 47001 £140

powerhaul livery 66 £80

gbrf sense £90 

Out of interest, is this just stock they have and want to clear or do they have access to Bachmann for clearing these items.  I can understand the 66's as the impending Hatton's version will stall the sales (got Sence a few weeks back at a very good deal), but the FL 66 is a very good price, as is the 70 and 37...   

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps the Ian Allen bargain table should have its own thread to prevent modellers who have NO chance of taking advantage of the offers becoming inordinately distressed?  :jester:

Or, not to single out Ian Allen particularly, perhaps there should be a "callers only" Bargain Hunters thread as there have been a number of bargains posted here that are only available if one is able to visit a particular shop.

Living in Devon, I suffer from this at all angles and if I am very keen, will usually try and tie in with a visit to something else.  A Oakes being the main culprit of occasional steals... To be honest, bit of a nothing for me anyway, the wife says I have a limit for what I can own... :biggrin_mini: but it is worth them being posted as the stars may align and I may get lucky and be close on occasion...

Edited by GEOEng03
spelling
  • Funny 1

I can live with all the Ian Allan stuff, but I do get majorly peeved with people who can't be bothered to trim the post they're quoting, so we get the whole thing, complete with pictures ...

• Agree 7

What I like is that there are a couple of us (though admittedly I visit the least) who do pop in to Ian Allan’s and report on the bargains there, meaning you normally don’t have to wait too long before there is an update. We are very fortunate with Jim’s job bringing him regularly to Brum and thus updating us, and a shout out to Keith (melmerby) also. 

I have one observation. While Birmingham International already has good rail connections, a lot of people will travel to New Street then on to International for a flight or event an the NEC, so perhaps people returning from holiday (taking a loco through security at an airport may look a bit odd) or on their way to/from the NEC have the opportunity to pop in and bag a bargain.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The only times in the past couple of years that I have been in Birmingham it has always been a Sunday when IA is closed and A Oakes is too far away.

I avoid getting off the train in Birmingham NS - too big an interchange, Wolverhampton or direct to International for me if I can.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SVRlad said:

What I like is that there are a couple of us (though admittedly I visit the least) who do pop in to Ian Allan’s and report on the bargains there, meaning you normally don’t have to wait too long before there is an update. We are very fortunate with Jim’s job bringing him regularly to Brum and thus updating us, and a shout out to Keith (melmerby) also. 

I have one observation. While Birmingham International already has good rail connections, a lot of people will travel to New Street then on to International for a flight or event an the NEC, so perhaps people returning from holiday (taking a loco through security at an airport may look a bit odd) or on their way to/from the NEC have the opportunity to pop in and bag a bargain.

Getting loco's through airport security is fairly easy, it's etched kits, electronics, tools, wire and sheet materials, ballast and quite a few other things which tend to cause raised eyebrows!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Surely it's far more annoying to have to trawl through pages (and pages) of people discussing whether they can get to Birmingham, whether Ian Allan or Mr Oakes posts actually qualify as bargains because, through no fault of either trader, you've chosen to live in the back of beyond, or whether other people agree or like the fact that you've just bought a bargain that other people can't purchase because you've just bought it? 

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, big jim said:

sound 47001 £140

powerhaul livery 66 £80

gbrf sense £90 

Please keep posting as I find it useful 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

I can't understand why people can't ignore posts they aren't interested in. :rolleyes:

The Ian Allan posts are far more relevant than those about places like Kernow, Hattons or Rails as most of us receive those straight in to our Inbox hours before they are posted on here. If you don't receive those emails then why not? It takes seconds to sign up for them.

Or do you complain about receiving emails as well? I receive over 1000 a day through three different accounts  and most of them can be easily ignored or deleted.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Aldi are advertising digital calipers at £7.99 and miltimeters at £9.99 available on 14th March.

i’ve already got the calipers and they are pretty good, but you do have to remove the batteries if not using it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had this email from Rails listing reductions:

Price Reductions

Selected products with new lower prices!

Hornby OO R3627 BR Blue (Early) Class A3 'Flying Scotsman' 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60103

RRP: £179.99

NOW ONLY: £149.50

Hornby OO R3642 'Duchess of Montrose' BR Green Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 Locomotive No.46232

RRP: £189.99

NOW ONLY: £159.50

Hornby OO R3681 'City of Edinburgh' LMS Black Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 Locomotive No.6241

RRP: £204.99

Hornby OO R3682 'Duchess of Gloucester' Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.46225

RRP: £204.99

Hornby OO R3668 Class J83 LNER Green 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.8472

RRP: £44.99

NOW ONLY: £37.50

Hornby OO R3657 Class 60 070 'John Loundon McAdam' Loadhaul Diesel Locomotive

RRP: £179.99

Bachmann OO 32-392 Class 37 688 "Kingmoor TMD" DRS Compass Diesel Locomotive

RRP: £159.99

NOW ONLY: £129.50

Heljan OO 3526 Class 35 Hymek BR Green (As Built) D7015 Locomotive

RRP: £129.95

NOW ONLY: £104.50

Heljan OO 3527 Class 35 Hymek BR Green (Small Yellow Warning Panels) D7088 Locomotive

Heljan OO 3528 Class 35 Hymek BR Early Blue (SYP) D7004 Locomotive

Heljan OO 3529 Class 35 Hymek BR Standard Blue (All Yellow Ends) 7001 Locomotive Weathered

Heljan OO 3530 Class 35 Hymek 'Williton' BR Dutch Grey/Yellow Locomotive

Bachmann OO9 391-026 Baldwin Class 10-12-D 590 Welsh Highland Black Locomotive

RRP: £144.95

NOW ONLY: £109.50

Bachmann OO9 391-028 Baldwin Class 10-12-D 'Hummy' Ashover Light Railway Black Locomotive (Weathered)

RRP: £154.95

NOW ONLY: £119.50

Hornby OO R4816A SR Maunsell Kitchen/Dining First Class Coach No.7865

RRP: £47.99

NOW ONLY: £39.50

Hornby OO R6848 EWS OTA Timber Wagon (Tapered Stanchions) No.200763

RRP: £27.99

NOW ONLY: £22.50

Hornby OO R6853 BR Railfreight HEA Hopper Wagon No.361188

RRP: £24.99

NOW ONLY: £19.50

cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ColinK said:

Aldi are advertising digital calipers at £7.99 and miltimeters at £9.99 available on 14th March.

i’ve already got the calipers and they are pretty good, but you do have to remove the batteries if not using it.

I've just looked at the manual for these and can't find where it says to remove the battery if not using it.

Are you sure, or is it a different model?

I bought mine earlier this year, it's a Powerfix Profi Digital Calliper Mdopel number HG00962A Version 04/2018

Rob

Edit: Apologies, mixed up Aldi with Lidl, where I got mine. 

Edited by mezzoman253
Possible different model
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, ColinK said:

And Lidl have packs of the LR44 batteries for £1.99 for 4 (or maybe 6, not able to check at the moment).

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, mezzoman253 said:

I've just looked at the manual for these and can't find where it says to remove the battery if not using it.

Are you sure, or is it a different model?

I bought mine earlier this year, it's a Powerfix Profi Digital Calliper Mdopel number HG00962A Version 04/2018

Rob

Edit: Apologies, mixed up Aldi with Lidl, where I got mine. 

I also have the Lidl calipers, bought several years ago.  (EDIT: Lidl had the Powerfix Profi calipers for £9.99 last week.)  I've not read the manual (what do you need to know about using calipers?) but I've never had to change the original battery in all the time I've had them.

I also have a cheap plastic digital caliper that I picked up at a model railway show.  That one does switch itself on at virtually any opportunity - just moving the jaws a fraction will trigger it in to life.  That one possibly might benefit from having the battery taken out when not in use - though to be fair it is also still on its original battery.

I can't speak for the Aldi calipers but from the photos on Aldi's web site they look awfully similar to the Lidl ones.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've had mine for a couple of years, can't remember if they were from Aldi or Lidl, but the on/off button is not to be relied on.  Turn it off and the slightest movement of the battery cover turns it back on again so to be on the safe side I always remove the battery after use.  There is a little recess on the foam insert to keep it.  Overall good value though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many of the cheaper digital vernier calipers are actually "on" even when turned "off" - when off in fact only the LCD display is off, so there is still some (albeit v. small) current consumption which can flatten batteries faster than would normally be the case.  Hence the common advice that, if it's a tool used infrequently, to take the battery out.  In saying that, I have several examples of Aldi (and Lidl?) v. calipers and find them to be excellent. and very accurate.

My favourite is this one though:

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Moore---Wright-0-6--0-150mm-fraction-Digitronic-Caliper-M0006.html

Whilst much more expensive, it reads in fractions too, which is a real bonus.

HTH

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1