Bargain Hunters Mark 2

TMS models are having a clear out of their secondhand stuff, I picked up an Ivatt class 4 for £30 and a Lima 40 for £15.

They still have a secondhand Bachman’s BR liveried Hall for £30 

https://tmsmodels.biz/product/4mm-brw-class-49xx-hall-4-6-0-tender-locomotive-r-n-5960-saint-edmund-hall-lined-black-livery-early-emblem/

There is also a Hornby 28XX for £30 and a Hornby Saint 29XX for £20, both in BR black and a Southern terrier for £40.

Plus postage of course.

//Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 12/03/2019 at 06:53, wirey33 said:

It's only March and a I think we have the RMWeb "Post of the Year" winner already.

Sorry to bring it back to this, but the best bit was the way they quoted the whole of that long list to moan about it!

Please keep the bargains coming...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether these have been mentioned before but today Ian Allan had six BR Mk1 SKs in blue/grey 39-025E @£30each in addition to the pile of Thompson Teaks already listed.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2019 at 23:00, melmerby said:

I don't know whether these have been mentioned before but today Ian Allan had six BR Mk1 SKs in blue/grey 39-025E @£30each in addition to the pile of Thompson Teaks already listed.

And on Friday the table included blue and green liveried Bachmann warships for just £70.

Cheers, 

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps we could have a petition to rename this thread the "Ian Allen Bargains" thread?  :jester:

The big Oakes sale ended this weekend just past, yet nobody posted or said anything -  probably out of fear for what posts would follow.

I do hope that Ian Allan bargain posts (and others) don't go the same way because this thread is steadily losing purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

it would help those who cannot get to the the shop, if Ian Allen could be persuaded to sell these bargains on line.  That way nobody would mind seeing what was on offer, as we would all be able to join in. Its a tad far from birmingham, to the middle of france and back.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, yelrow said:

it would help those who cannot get to the the shop, if Ian Allen could be persuaded to sell these bargains on line.  That way nobody would mind seeing what was on offer, as we would all be able to join in. Its a tad far from birmingham, to the middle of france and back.

Try to look at it from their perspective. The main purpose of bargains such as these is to pull more punters into the shop and sell them some other full price items at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

58 minutes ago, yelrow said:

But worth bearing in mind most people in Britain can be in Birmingham in an hour or two. It's not like we are talking about a shop in the middle of nowhere.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But worth bearing in mind most people in Britain can be in Birmingham in an hour or two. It's not like we are talking about a shop in the middle of nowhere.

Jason

An hour or two of M6 or Cross Country Trains hell!!

Similar with A Oakes sales - but they would be M6 hell only.

• Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Two things to consider;

1) For most people Birmingham isn't an hour or two away. Most in Britain will have a journey of more than two hours, not less. I'm in the north east, it would take me well over 2 hours to drive there. Trains might get from London to Birmingham in under 2 hours, but you still have to get to the station first.   

2) The time and cost of a three or four hour round trip is likely to wipe a significant amount, if not all, of any savings you'll make when you get there. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, knapper said:

2) The time and cost of a three or four hour round trip is likely to wipe a significant amount, if not all, of any savings you'll make when you get there. 

That is certainly the case unless you get a "bargain" train fare as well:jester:

At least the shop, should any outsider wish to visit, is close to New St Station (Stephenson St. entrance)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

DCC Supplies have reduced the price of their OO Gauge Limited Edition Dapol Chiltern Railways green 121, 121034, from £140.50 to £89.00

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-s-121034/class-121-oo-no-121034.htm

Sadly it doesn't seem to have sold very well as it was released in December 2017 as a Limited Edition of 300 and they still have 253 in stock at time of posting.

It is a lovely model with plenty of attention to detail in the livery. I bought one when they first came out and it included a sprue of painted etched brass plates to attach at the bottom of the doors to represent the door locks Chiltern added but they don't mention this on the website so who knows if it still comes with this

Edited by Red Fox
Added scale of model
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That is certainly the case unless you get a "bargain" train fare as well:jester:

At least the shop, should any outsider wish to visit, is close to New St Station (Stephenson St. entrance)

To be honest I think some of them just want to moan. Seems a lot of it about today for some reason.

I think Government statistics said something like forty million people live within two hours of Birmingham, that's well more than half the population. Two hours travelling is classed as a commute. But sod 'em. I'll buy the bargains instead.

Train from Liverpool. Day out in Brum. And I'll still be up on the bargains. :good:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest I think some of them just want to moan. Seems a lot of it about today for some reason.

I think Government statistics said something like forty million people live within two hours of Birmingham, that's well more than half the population. Two hours travelling is classed as a commute. But sod 'em. I'll buy the bargains instead.

Train from Liverpool. Day out in Brum. And I'll still be up on the bargains. :good:

Jason

Government statistics are proverbially to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I don't think I could cope with a whole day out in Brum, far too over-exciting....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

As an ex-Brummie who escaped to the south coast 28 years ago I can vouch that there are very few advantages to living in Birmingham, so a few bargains are really little recompense to having to endure it.

I'll get my tin hat :bomb_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyway trying to get back on topic are there any bargains out there other than that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham? 

I won't be adding anymore updates regarding bargains  from that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham in future as it only stirs the Hornets nest everytime then we all throw our toys out of the pram because you don't want to  come to that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham for a bargain. 

Cheers 

Colin

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, colin penfold said:

ooh great, geography and economics. Two of my favourite O levels....

Two (slightly more pertinent) things to consider

A bargain is a bargain even if not everyone can access it

This thread is for bargains, all bargains. You just have to use the ones that are of use to you, and ignore the rest

Colin,

Isn't that a but logical! :)

Khris

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, CovDriver said:

Anyway trying to get back on topic are there any bargains out there other than that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham? 

I won't be adding anymore updates regarding bargains  from that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham in future as it only stirs the Hornets nest everytime then we all throw our toys out of the pram because you don't want to  come to that place that shall not be mentioned in Birmingham for a bargain. 

Cheers 

Colin

I wouldn't throw my "toys" out of the pram, they're too expensive (Bargain Table or no) to replace!  As for the B-Word bargains, I'm not really worried that they get posted, some lucky devil within striking distance will be able to take advantage of them, its just that they become a fingernail across the blackboard of my soul when there's a particularly unattainable offering....

Anything I post is then merely a cry of anguish!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1