Bargain Hunters Mark 2

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

No, No, NO

I will not succumb to Class 22s, I model the Southern Railway not BR

And I wouldn't then buy at least one pack of these for my beloved North Cornwall line

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40761/38-260Y-WSL-Bachmann-Delabole-Slate-Presflo-Wagon-Triple-Pack

£29 for three quality wagons is an absolute steal.

Thanks for the heads up on the Presflo wagons. Ordered one for myself.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2019 at 20:05, griffgriff said:

Mid May Madness? I’d say more of a case of Spring and Summer sanity...... the prices are probably what they should have been on those products.

Griff

Thank God someone else said it. It's simply a case of overinflated RRP prices to make discounted prices look attractive on face value. Worked like a charm on the Bachmann stand last year at Warley.  Bachmann Thompson's have been sitting in Ian Allan's at £37 for some time now - they're a bargain by definition if you go against the RRP, but they're simply not worth that price, and that's why there's still a pile of them sat in Brum. I would be really interested to see an exact price breakdown of components, labour, assembly and distribution filtered down on any catalogue item just so that as a paying customer I can see the constant price increases for myself based on cost price. Rhetorical question - were Thompson's ever painted in BR Maroon, or is it just that the boat from China's got lost (again)?

Don't always take the peddled line of 'the manufacturers are our friends' as gospel. They're out to make money, just like any other company.

Now back to bargains...(insert tumbleweed and blank space)

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Agree 4

57 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

Thank God someone else said it. It's simply a case of overinflated RRP prices to make discounted prices look attractive on face value. Worked like a charm on the Bachmann stand last year at Warley.  Bachmann Thompson's have been sitting in Ian Allan's at £37 for some time now - they're a bargain by definition if you go against the RRP, but they're simply not worth that price, and that's why there's still a pile of them sat in Brum. I would be really interested to see an exact price breakdown of components, labour, assembly and distribution filtered down on any catalogue item just so that as a paying customer I can see the constant price increases for myself based on cost price. Rhetorical question - were Thompson's ever painted in BR Maroon, or is it just that the boat from China's got lost (again)?

Don't always take the peddled line of 'the manufacturers are our friends' as gospel. They're out to make money, just like any other company.

Now back to bargains...(insert tumbleweed and blank space)

Seriously? The Bachmann Thompsons are well worth £50 or £60. They're hardly bargain bin Railroad standard models.

You build a set and paint them to that standard and see how much it costs to produce....

Besides virtually all the "overpriced" models in the Kernow sale are Limited Editions that cost a lot of money to commission.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Trojmiasto said:

It's wrong for a company to make money? Someone doesn't understand where the cash to invest in future products comes from.

If these things are so overpriced, and manufacturers are raking it in, why don't we have a rush of new entrants making coaches in the hobby?

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Seriously? The Bachmann Thompsons are well worth £50 or £60. They're hardly bargain bin Railroad standard models.

You build a set and paint them to that standard and see how much it costs to produce....

Besides virtually all the "overpriced" models in the Kernow sale are Limited Editions that cost a lot of money to commission.

Jason

I was always puzzled why the Thompsons didn't carry a "All new tooling" number in the 39-XXX range and merely got an "upgraded" number in the 34-XXX range.

Anybody know why?

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Back to the bargains ;) 

This little beauty took my fancy this morning, at just £69.99! Hmmm, guess it can pass as WW1 Grey in my ROD Fleet... :jester: 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55024/K2201A-DJ-Models-0-6-0-1361-Steam-Locomotive-number-1361-Grey

I might have bitten, but there now seems to be activity on the Hornby Club Class H front, and the exchequer is getting antsy!

But just £74 inc delivery.  Hmmmm...

• Friendly/supportive 1

UPDATE Wed 23rd May 21:00hrs:

MURPHY MODELS CIE MM0088 SOLD OUT

Despite ringing beforehand to check, and the website taking my order (another item I wanted was sold out, so the inventory system must be working), plus receiving an email stating "Your order has been received and will be processed once payment has been confirmed.", I've now got an email saying the MM0088 is sold out!

Really disappointed.

If your interest is in Irish Diesels & coaches:

Murphy Models CIE MM0088, CIE Livery. RRP £145, Big guys have it at around £125. DC-Kits at £85

Restaurant Car MM5541, seen elsewhere at the £45 - £47 mark. DC-Kits at £35

Usual disclaimer, just a customer (Guess not then)

Edited by Damo666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Not so much a bargain as they're all secondhand but a number of good weathered BR blue diesels on today's secondhand list at Hattons.

Thought it worth a mention, many also sound fitted

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/preowned.aspx

On the front page the ones mentioned as sound fitted are under £200, but click on the model and go to the detail page the price goes up to over £300, something going on here methinks.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On the front page the ones mentioned as sound fitted are under £200, but click on the model and go to the detail page the price goes up to over £300, something going on here methinks.

Mike.

Unless you see something different to what I'm seeing, it may be the result of an inflexible listing system or the accompanying text needs expanding. I picked a couple of the sound fitted locos and clicked through, the standard price was showing but with higher prices for DCC and for sound. I assume what this means is that their system is offering to fit a regular decoder or a sound decoder even though this particular item includes one? It doesn't make financial sense to remove the included decoder and replace it with another, but technically there's no reason not to... I guess.

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

image.png.df73155a9d8b9a61e249449087f3e3e6.png

It's as Chris says, inflexibility on the e-commerce set up - it's adding on fitting Hattons Decoder and Olivia's Sound - the loco already has that so you just pick the single quantity.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ChrisH-UK said:

Unless you see something different to what I'm seeing, it may be the result of an inflexible listing system or the accompanying text needs expanding. I picked a couple of the sound fitted locos and clicked through, the standard price was showing but with higher prices for DCC and for sound. I assume what this means is that their system is offering to fit a regular decoder or a sound decoder even though this particular item includes one? It doesn't make financial sense to remove the included decoder and replace it with another, but technically there's no reason not to... I guess.

Chris H

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

image.png.df73155a9d8b9a61e249449087f3e3e6.png

It's as Chris says, inflexibility on the e-commerce set up - it's adding on fitting Hattons Decoder and Olivia's Sound - the loco already has that so you just pick the single quantity.

Thanks for the info, but it seems funny that the initial offering states sound fitted and states the lower price, so to me if it is sound fitted as a secondhand arrival to Hattons then the higher price should be stated on the front page?

Or am I reading too much into this, they could say every loco they offer is sound fitted and offer it at a lower price as a hook, just seems a bit of a sharp practice IMHO.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks for the info, but it seems funny that the initial offering states sound fitted and states the lower price, so to me if it is sound fitted as a secondhand arrival to Hattons then the higher price should be stated on the front page?

Or am I reading too much into this, they could say every loco they offer is sound fitted and offer it at a lower price as a hook, just seems a bit of a sharp practice IMHO.

Mike.

I think they just quickly set up the secondhand stuff - some of the locos in the pics today had their tenders the wrong way around, if it says sound fitted in the description then it will be the lower price.

A new TTS Tornado only shows a single price, so they can do it if they want to.

image.png.1b071429d526477248683217c6afea93.png

• Like 2

Only Hattons themselves can give real clarity to this. Using Woodenhead's screengrab as an example, I think 180 gets you a pre-owned sound-fitted loco, 208 gets you the same loco that has had its decoder removed and replaced with whatever their default decoder is, 318 gets you the same loco with its sound decoder replaced by a different sound decoder.

I think it's a misleading thing rather than a sharp practice. I think they could make it more apparent what is actually going on.

Chris H

• Agree 4

31 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

You're reading too much into this.

£180 gets you a sound fitted loco as described.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

This may have been mentioned before:

Hattons website:

"Heljan
200xx VBA sliding door van in EWS livery
O Gauge (1:43 Scale) £29.50 BARGAIN List price: £84.95"

May be lower price on Hattons mailing list.

Regards

Nick

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NIK said:

Hi,

This may have been mentioned before:

Hattons website:

"Heljan
200xx VBA sliding door van in EWS livery
O Gauge (1:43 Scale) £29.50 BARGAIN List price: £84.95"

May be lower price on Hattons mailing list.

Regards

Nick

I think that's a further reduction on the already bargain price of £39 they have been advertising for some months now. Is there something wrong with this model or did they simply misread the size of the market for modern O?

Other Heljan freight vehicles also much reduced (less than half list price).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone modelling Welsh Railways or Tramways there is a selection of Graffeg books on discount at Ian Allan in Birmingham.

(not on the sale table!)

All are £3.99 instead of £8.99

Railways:

Chester to Holyhead

Vale of Neath

Mid Wales Line

Brecon to Newport

Cambrian Coast line.

Trams:

Swansea & Mumbles

South Wales & Valleys

North Wales

Cardiff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that's a further reduction on the already bargain price of £39 they have been advertising for some months now. Is there something wrong with this model or did they simply misread the size of the market for modern O?

Other Heljan freight vehicles also much reduced (less than half list price).

I suspect that Heljan have just overestimated the demand for quite a few of their O gauge items as you only have to look at the latest prices for the Class 05 shunter & 129 DPU to see that.

• Agree 1