Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Gold

This flash sale at Rails seems to have flown under the radar?  Beachy Head in BR for £124.50 +p/p

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/25561/Bachmann-31-921-oo-gauge-h2-class-atlantic-4-4-2-32424-beachy-head-br-black-early-emblem

(Same price at Hattons)

Edited by Metr0Land
Cross ref Hattons price
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, 57xx said:

They've been on there since at least January.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Sorry for trying to be helpful. 

Sorry.

But surely everyone knows about those bargains? Everyone is surely also receiving them straight into their Inbox by signing up for the newsletters from Hattons, Rails and Kernow?

If not, why not? You get to find out about the bargains well before they get posted on here. You don't get loads of spam from them.

Jason

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Sorry.

But surely everyone knows about those bargains? Everyone is surely also receiving them straight into their Inbox by signing up for the newsletters from Hattons, Rails and Kernow?

If not, why not? You get to find out about the bargains well before they get posted on here. You don't get loads of spam from them.

Jason

I get several emails a day from Rails - each offer is it's own email so rather than an irregular digest of bargains you get bombarded.

I don't do the Hattons email as I look at the site most days, Kernow send irregular emails of interesting offers.

We need to ease up on what is and isn't a bargain as in most cases it is subjective.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Sorry.

Jason

The way in which you pointed it out perhaps seems a bit rude (especially with the further reply including "sorry but")

I don't see why you are making an assumption everyone gets Hattons, Rails of Sheffield & Kernow Model Centre's emails. [Personally I only get Hattons, and have been wanting Rail's for about 2 years, but can't work out how to sign up for them!! - If someone could inform me I would grateful!]

I suspect we both share the position of preferring only new bargains to be posted, which makes sense, but it is easy to ignore what is personally irrelevant [as primarily an MU enthusiast, I am very use to doing this already!]

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 18/06/2019 at 12:03, 57xx said:

Sorry for trying to be helpful. 

Please don't apologise - thank you for posting. Bargains are subjective - what you see as a bargain is different to someone else. 

I am also bemused as to why items on an email cannot also be classed as bargains. What if I was new to the hobby, had found RMWeb but had no knowledge of Hattons or Rails of Sheffield?

I admit to having gripes at the pricing structure of certain retailers, but that doesn't stop items being classed as bargains, nor does it stop others thinking likewise.

Whilst on the subject of bargains, for any members of the Hornby Collectors Club (which, annoyingly, I'm not), I noticed an SECR liveried class H being offered at £99.99:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/bluebell-railway-secr-h-class-0-4-4t-263-era-11-Hornby-collector-club-exclusive.html

Considering these are being traded on eBay well over £150 on a consistent basis, I'd say that was a pretty good price. I have the R3538 version, and think it's a cracking model - would have already bought this one too if it was freely available.

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

Whilst on the subject of bargains, for any members of the Hornby Collectors Club (which, annoyingly, I'm not), I noticed an SECR liveried class H being offered at £99.99:

A bit further down it does say

Please ensure that you are logged in as a current Club member to purchase from this page.

If you google Hornby R3648, you will find that some stockists have placeholders up for it, but I think thats just in case Hornby decide to offload unsold models into the retailer chain as they have done in the past*.  Apart from ebay opportunists, who have a strange view of the value of things, the only way at present to get one at the club price is to join the club!

* Or for when they get a s/h one in.

Edited by Hroth
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you google Hornby R3648, you will find that some stockists have placeholders up for it, but I think thats just in case Hornby decide to offload unsold models into the retailer chain as they have done in the past.

I noticed that too, but would be personally surprised if there are around for long if they did. As I say, the R3538 version is very difficult to obtain - not just in eBay but regular stockists too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, JDW said:

On Ebay at the minute: a Hornby Devon & Cornwall black 153, buy it now for £50, and currently no bids at the £25 starting price. Ends tomorrow (Thurs).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oo-gauge-class153-Cornwall-picture-on-sides-Bachmann/254266771339?hash=item3b337b078b:g:61UAAOSwraNdB3jH

Includes a decoder but no info apart from code

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My guess would be a standard Hornby one, or maybe factory fitted. I'm very tempted to take a chance and put in a bid at that price, I'm surprised its still there to be honest - even the Buy It Now price is good, especially for that version. But I don't need it, and I'm trying to cut back on spending at the minute.

• Funny 2

Somerset Steam, Scenes from the Fifties and Sixties, by Michael Welch. Softback by Capitol Transport 2008. 

Originally £8.95, but now reduced to £1.50. 

About 20 copies of the book in the main Tesco store in Station Road Weston-super-Mare.

They are hidden on the end of an aisle behind homewares on the righthand side near the entrance.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
additional information
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That place in Birmingham has the bargain table full of some bargains firstly 

12x 38-132B YGA seacow wagons EWS £25 each 

12x 37-552C POA weathered wagons £16 each 

12x 37-550B POA weathered wagons £14 each 

12x 38-105 PNA triple pack weathered £36 each

9 x 31-910 H1 class 39 La France LBSC livery £140 each 

12x 38-243 MBA megabox EWS livery weathered £30 each 

12x 37-327D JGA hopper wagon weathered £30 each 

Plus various triple packs of coal wagons and cattle wagons at £30 each 

Also 11x  38-990z Warley Exhibition 50th show triple wagon pack at £40 each.

Cheers 

Colin 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had just settled in 'Spoons for a swift pint and was posting that info from my phone when I had a notification that there had been a reply to the thread, which was yours!:)

Some more info:

37-550B POA are Yeoman

37-550C POA are ARC

38-105 PNA are RaiItrack

37-095A are a "Coal Trader" triple pack (£30)

37-716 are a 8T cattle in BR bauxite triple pack (£30)

There were 2 lots of individual weathered PO wagons as well, one a "P" number the other pre BR. £14 & £15 IIRC.

Also there's a lot more reduced books on the first table as you come up the stairs, too numerous to list.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:59, melmerby said:

There were 2 lots of individual weathered PO wagons as well, one a "P" number the other pre BR. £14 & £15 IIRC.

Also there's a lot more reduced books on the first table as you come up the stairs, too numerous to list.

Still left this morning along with several Bachmann 7 plank Baldwin wagons at 11 sheets too. Not a bargain but they had the brand new Airfix 1/24th Hellcat on show too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Some price reductions at Details:

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=22DROP06&page=1

Not sure if they're bargains; a bargain to one is a waste of money to some.

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Things which some people consider a bargain hunters"?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2