Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2019 at 17:49, Coryton said:

I saw a Hornby train set (forget which - "Highland Railways" 0-4-0 and a few trucks) in the mince pie section in ASDA yesterday.

I presume there were more in the toy section.

It seemed to be £50 (or maybe £49.99)

Edit - and indeed there was a collection of them in the toy section. I think they were £60 though, not £50. 

And now they are "rolled back" to £45. Compared to the cost for a similar engine alone, that's quite a bargain.

I am most curious to know if the new train set controller actually has decent electronics, or if it's like the old one just in a more traditional looking case.

4 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Pinch punch, first day of the month. Hornby have their usual advent calendar, which I’m sure will feature some form of "bargain" at some point:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

Today's isn't a bargain though.

Jack.

But as its a lucky dip competition, it might be....  :jester:

4 hours ago, big jim said:

I'm being good where the Peckett B2s are concerned, I have Westminster and it's going to have to cosy up to the 3 W4s that I got in a fit of enthusiasm......

21 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Pinch punch, first day of the month. Hornby have their usual advent calendar, which I’m sure will feature some form of "bargain" at some point:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

Today's isn't a bargain though.

Jack.

Would not get your hope up too high!  Last year it was Screensavers, competitions, tips etc..

7 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

Would not get your hope up too high!  Last year it was Screensavers, competitions, tips etc..

So far this year, a competition and a giveaway bookazine (one day only) on orders over £30.....

Just bookmark the page and look at the relevant day tab.  Straight in, straight out.  Just take it for what it is, a bit of ephemeral festive froth.

2 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Just informing folks as I got an email advertising it. I’m with you though, I shan't be getting excited over it...straight in and out each day as Hroth says.

Rails AC day 2: DP1 for £155...

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2890/advent-calendar-day-2

Jack.

35 minutes ago, jukebox said:

Rails Advent Calendar Day 2 - DP1 in East and West Coast versions

(this was a new release to me - or did I miss it when it first was announced??  Just 512 of each apparently..)

https://mailchi.mp/railsofsheffield/rails-advent-calendar-day-2?e=56b28ce6db

Made for the NRM, first released 2007. https://shop.railwaymuseum.org.uk/new-arrivals/dp1-deltic-prototype-east-coast-mainline-livery.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Sure was, long time ago now, luckily I found an as new in box model for just £80 on another forum......that was a bargain.

22 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

I have two - the original NRM release (in "as preserved" blue) -  and then the 2013 re-issue in a lighter shade, which I took to be "in service" per the photos that exist.

Neither has the red above the fuel tank; both are pristine not weathered.

But I've never seen them issued as East Coast and West Coast, nor with headboards...

Curious times we live in.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Slightly different shades of blue

Not when the side-on views at Rails are compared. I think we are up to about 10,000 models of DP1 since 2007 now, these two versions date from 2017.

Are there any colour photos of her on the WCML? I don't recall seeing any with the red embellishments.

Looked at Rails photos and the WCML is a very slightly darker blue to the ECML one= that is borne out by the listings in Ramseys British Model Trains catalogue which lists the models produced up to 2011 as being a different blue (light blue v ER blue) to those produced in 2013. The 2015 production is simply listed as blue as they presumably had not appeared by the date of complilation.

Heres a swatch of the ECML one with a square from the WCML on top of it

Blues.jpg.6f655b69a6fd73a9f62d73a11f171a69.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Looked at Rails photos and the WCML is a very slightly darker blue to the ECML one= that is borne out by the listings in Ramseys British Model Trains catalogue which lists the models produced up to 2011 as being a different blue (light blue v ER blue) to those produced in 2013. The 2015 production is simply listed as blue as they presumably had not appeared by the date of complilation.

Heres a swatch of the ECML one with a square from the WCML on top of it

Blues.jpg.6f655b69a6fd73a9f62d73a11f171a69.jpg

Thanks for the detail. There's more livery difference in Bachmann's SR green Mk1 and Bulleid stock than there is there!

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2019 at 08:45, dogbox321 said:

Which overall might be a better thing than Hornby undercutting its retailers...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the Hornby Advent Calendar, I think we should loop the thread back to this time last year, the discussion has a distinct feeling of deja vu. Save a lot of wasted electrons and worn out keyboards!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1