Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a bargain as such but best price I've seen is the Hornby 67 & 3 pullmans set (R3750) at Gaugemaster via Amazon at £205 inc postage (or direct from Gaugemaster), which means if you bought this and the other Belmond 67 from GM at £145 you could get the whole lot for £350 - 2x 67's and 3 pullmans. Last one at thst price though......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3750-Belmond-British-Pullman/dp/B07N89N8K7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Hornby+r3750&qid=1578259986&sr=8-1

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Hornby-r3750.html

Wilko's Christmas card holders.  AKA miniature (approx. 45mm long) wooden clothes pegs.  Useful as small clamps etc.

30 pence for a pack of 20.  Was only a pound/pack or three packs for price of two, but didn't see that before Christmas!  Unfortunately, my nearest branch, Castle Douglas, only seemed to have the one packet ...  Not worth trailing around for but might be worth looking for if you are in a branch anyway. 

Hope of interest to someone.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I started a temporary secondment yesterday in Swansea and have rented a flat for 6 months. Went to Asda this evening to stock up on essentials and got myself the Hornby Freightmaster set for £18.75 :D

So in less than 24 hours in my new abode I have a fully working model railway :lol:

Actually, not as daft a purchase as it seems as it allows me to have a test track down here for any locos I purchase while I'm living away from home.

IMG_20200107_224344.jpg.54297519cc17d19ec87ea0b6bd534119.jpg

• Like 19

14 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

I started a temporary secondment yesterday in Swansea and have rented a flat for 6 months. Went to Asda this evening to stock up on essentials and got myself the Hornby Freightmaster set for £18.75 :D

So in less than 24 hours in my new abode I have a fully working model railway :lol:

Actually, not as daft a purchase as it seems as it allows me to have a test track down here for any locos I purchase while I'm living away from home.

IMG_20200107_224344.jpg.54297519cc17d19ec87ea0b6bd534119.jpg

Are there any left for anyone else to purchase?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

Are there any left for anyone else to purchase?

They had about half a dozen or so when I was there last night. At a gondola end next to the checkouts and I saw it and for that price, well, crazy to pass up on it. Always handy to have a cheapo controller if nothing else. This was the big Asda superstore in Swansea. Dare say other stores will be offloading their Xmas stock.

I only went in for bread and milk :D

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

£18.75 for the set! i can barely remember when a ‘smoky joe’ cost that on its own, absolute bargain 

Definitely - crazy money. In comparison, it will probably get you just under a third of a Bachmann coach at current RRP...

Edited by Trojmiasto

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

They had about half a dozen or so when I was there last night. At a gondola end next to the checkouts and I saw it and for that price, well, crazy to pass up on it. Always handy to have a cheapo controller if nothing else. This was the big Asda superstore in Swansea. Dare say other stores will be offloading their Xmas stock.

Think I will have a look in Bristol tomorrow, the analogue controller I use for testing failed at the weekend, poping the loco and wagons on eBay will likely recoup most of the cost...

4 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Hi Mike, I understand you are away for six months. Could you do me a favour? Next time you are in there can you get me large brown sliced and a pint of skimmed?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi Mike, I understand you are away for six months. Could you do me a favour? Next time you are in there can you get me large brown sliced and a pint of skimmed?

Sure. What scale bread and do you want the milk analogue or DCC ?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Sure. What scale bread and do you want the milk analogue or DCC ?

Reminds me of a common conversation we used to have in the pub in our university car club:

"Pint of coke please"

"Sure, full-fat or unleaded?"

Although that wasn't as odd as:

"And a packet of crisps"

"What flavour?"

"Raspberry ripple"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Reminds me of a common conversation we used to have in the pub in our university car club:

"Pint of coke please"

"Sure, full-fat or unleaded?"

Although that wasn't as odd as:

"And a packet of crisps"

"What flavour?"

"Raspberry ripple"

What's odd about that?

http://www.mackiescrisps.co.uk/items/Latest/mackies-mix-things-up-with-ice-cream-flavoured-crisps-innovation

;) 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

When I was running a pub, I would often be asked what flavour crisps we had:

Vanilla, choc chip or Raspberry ripple (or some such combination.)

Ice creams, I usually gave the answer, salt & vinegar, plain, or cheese & onion.

Mind you, we did make our own Ice creams, Port & stilton, Dark Mild, Guinness & chocolate, Rum & Dark Chocolate, and a great favourite, Gin & Gooseberry.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

When I was running a pub, I would often be asked what flavour crisps we had:

Vanilla, choc chip or Raspberry ripple (or some such combination.)

Ice creams, I usually gave the answer, salt & vinegar, plain, or cheese & onion.

Mind you, we did make our own Ice creams, Port & stilton, Dark Mild, Guinness & chocolate, Rum & Dark Chocolate, and a great favourite, Gin & Gooseberry.

Regards

Ian

"Can I have a packet of helicopter flavour crisps please?"

"Sorry, we've only got plane."

I thank you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Think I will have a look in Bristol tomorrow, the analogue controller I use for testing failed at the weekend, poping the loco and wagons on eBay will likely recoup most of the cost...

It has the new train-set controller. It looks a lot nicer than the old one, and has an accessory output (at 14 V I think, which is a bit odd).

However having had a quick play with it I wasn't very impressed.

I only tried it with the engine from the train set, but slow speed control wasn't great and at low speeds the engine buzzed loudly. (I know those 0-4-0's aren't noted for their slow speeds, but this is a recent enough set that it will have the 'new' slower motor). Different from the growl you got with the previous train set controllers, but not really an improvement in my view.

And despite audibly using pulse control, it didn't want to start smoothly - it needed a fair voltage to get it to start, after which the speed could be lowered.

I'd be interested in other people's experience but best not in the bargain hunters thread...

21 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Christmas stock, yes, but down to £25 considerably before Christmas.

9 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

Is this nationwide?

It will be. They are just getting rid of old stock after Christmas. If you have a local store it might be worth having a look.

I had a look online but they aren't on there. No kits or tools either. Just loads of cheap Christmas decorations....

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/christmas/christmas-decorations

Some art supplies though.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/offers/art-supplies-offers

Jason

• Thanks 1