Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jchinuk said:

I was in my local branch of 'Hobbycraft' (Romford) yesterday and they are selling the Hornby Christmas Train set at an agreeable £12.50, not bad for an oval of track and the controller, let alone the locomotive and wagons.  I can't find it on the 'Hobbycraft' website, so it might be in stores only or that might be me!

They had about five sets left in Romford, upstairs right at the back, next to the jigsaws.jh

As discussed above, they're in some Hobbycraft stores, not in others, and if it's showing a higher price it seems that a nice word with the peopel at the till can get it down to £12.50 (which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen for a new Hornby train set - I did get a Mehano set with a rather nice controller for about that from Amazon once).

Sadly if they had them in Cardiff I was too late...

• Like 1

New additions to the March West Junction TMD layout. 
Heljan Class 07 and some Bachmann FGA Freighliner wagons. 
Absolute bargains from the A Oakes sale. 
Heljan class 07 was half discount price £59.47
Bachmann FGAs was £49.97 when purchased at the same time as a copy of Railway Modeller Magazine. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEgyGi7ONkVEhOJ1Lux6_zw

979E789B-A120-4AFA-9113-39B00E04642E.jpeg

• Like 2

While strictly a bargain for me,  I am still pinching myself as although I have the items, I still cannot believe the price paid.  The item was described as such - " Bachmann Branchline 30-105 Midland Marvel Train Set with Midland 3F "3522" in LMS livery, brake van in LMS grey & 2 x 8-plank wagons - Pre-owned - sold as seen - Non runner - Brake van has a loose buffer - imperfect box".   The store wanted just GBP40.00 (GBP33.33 ex-VAT).    As the item exceeded Royal Mail limitations,  a courier had to be selected  (DPD Air Classic),  which cost me GBP26.00.    The item was not expected for another two days (Wednesday) but turned up this morning (Monday).  When purchased I expected the store to refund my money as I thought that either someone may have purchased it just prior to me or a mistake had been made in pricing.

The oval of track was not shown in the images or description but was included in the packaging.   I located the missing buffer from the LMS guard's van in the bottom of the box.  The "non-runner" loco ran perfectly out of the box but due the sanding pipes fouling the track it derailed in reverse through pointwork.  The pipes just needed trimming and the cab roof support railing refitted.  The loco appears in new condition and runs well.   Total cost was GBP59.33 including courier shipping downunder,  so basically,  $117.50 Aud.   I will most likely resell the track and power supply to recoup some expense so basically my outlay will be the cost of the shipping only.   Occasionally I have a win.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Trojmiasto said:

Glad to hear of the success - I'm struggling to find the bargain?

Oh I don’t know, I think the announcement today from Oxford Rail of a Cowens crane is a bit of a bargain at £16.50p from Rails......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Oh I don’t know, I think the announcement today from Oxford Rail of a Cowens crane is a bit of a bargain at £16.50p from Rails......

Likewise the pilchard.

Although for similar wagons on another web site there is the rider that their price is subject to variation.

Mike.

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I certainly agree with you - my comment was more aimed at the original poster, as other than the bargain they'd had through the purchase of their set, I couldn't see a bargain that I could view and purchase myself, unless I was missing something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pe

1 hour ago, Trojmiasto said:

I certainly agree with you - my comment was more aimed at the original poster, as other than the bargain they'd had through the purchase of their set, I couldn't see a bargain that I could view and purchase myself, unless I was missing something.

Agree. What is the point of announcing on here one-off bargains that the poster has already bought therefore a post that is useless for anyone else as the one sale item has been bought! 

That is not the same as saying some shops in chain ABC may have discounted stock left (E.g recently the Hobbycraft and ASDA post-XMAS sell offs), but not every store in the chain has them and don't bother going to the one located at XYZ cos' I had the last one. This type of info is useful.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, john new said:

Pe

Agree. What is the point of announcing on here one-off bargains that the poster has already bought therefore a post that is useless for anyone else as the one sale item has been bought! 

That is not the same as saying some shops in chain ABC may have discounted stock left (E.g recently the Hobbycraft and ASDA post-XMAS sell offs), but not every store in the chain has them and don't bother going to the one located at XYZ cos' I had the last one. This type of info is useful.

Jeez, lighten up,

he found a bargain , he brought it, he was just celebrating his success.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Jeez, lighten up,

No problem with any of that in any other relevant thread but I understood the whole point of this thread is to assist others by pointing out still buyable bargains.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 5

31 minutes ago, john new said:

No problem with any of that in any other relevant thread but I understood the whole point of this thread is to assist others by pointing out still buyable bargains.

Make him an offer, you never know ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Jeez, lighten up,

We've been here before though - having to trawl through posts of 'look what I've just bought'. I'm happy for them, as I'm happy to hear of a charitable cause doing well, but it doesn't really belong in a thread for people looking for bargains if they can't purchase the items themselves.

It should really have its own topic.

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mkrob said:

Slightly slightly off topic, but, I tried to buy some items from MRD and then abandoned the idea when trying to checkout and being forced to go through a tedious registration process.

Jeez, I only want to buy something, is it really necessary?

It's their loss though.

Mike.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Slightly slightly off topic, but, I tried to buy some items from MRD and then abandoned the idea when trying to checkout and being forced to go through a tedious registration process.

It's their loss though.

Mike.

If you trade online then the biggest issue you have is fraud, it's rampant, stolen credit cards, stolen identities, people claiming damaged items that aren't, deliveries that have arrived but claimed they haven't. It's a pain for everybody but the traders have to try to protect themselves as best they can, they have to do due diligence because if they don't the banks will also rip the money back off them.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phaeton said:

If you trade online then the biggest issue you have is fraud, it's rampant, stolen credit cards, stolen identities, people claiming damaged items that aren't, deliveries that have arrived but claimed they haven't. It's a pain for everybody but the traders have to try to protect themselves as best they can, they have to do due diligence because if they don't the banks will also rip the money back off them.

All well and good, but many other traders just have a simple guest log in, so are they doing something wrong?

Mike.

5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

All well and good, but many other traders just have a simple guest log in, so are they doing something wrong?

Mike.

Who's to say it's them that's wrong, they may just have a different risk model.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's their loss though.

Mike.

Apart from a few retailers online they seemed very much the same ordering system, and at those prices worth the effort I reckon.

Go on,  have another look.... 

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

They may well be taking a slighter higher risk, trade off for “footfall” I guess?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Already had a lot of interest in the shop over the past two days shown in the OR Crane.  If we were taking a small deposit/down payment. The deposit would  be circa the £20 mark.

It's only a Bargain if you can actually buy it for that price!

Sorry, are you saying Rails and Hattons might not honour the advertised prices?

I’ve never had that happen before with pre-orders.