Bargain Hunters Mark 2

32 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry, are you saying Rails and Hattons might not honour the advertised prices?

I’ve never had that happen before with pre-orders.

Most pre-orders come with the caveat that the prices may change. And with Bachmann's announce/release schedule measured in decades, I don't know of any retailer who would risk guaranteeing a price.

And no online retailer (who wants to stay in business) will honour a genuine pricing mistake.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, wirey33 said:

We should change the thread title to "Bargain Announcements (no gloating allowed)".

This thread now runs to 118 pages and is well past its sell-by date with many comments totally unrelated to actual "bargains".

Now we are in a new decade, it would seem to be a good time to close this particular thread and as wirey33 suggested, open a new thread of Strictly Bargain Announcements 2020 just for this years notifications, and have the moderators set it to automatically close on 31st December 2020 as the Strictly Bargain Announcements 2021 thread automatically replaces it.

Making it a "Strictly" Bargain Announcements thread would enable the moderators to automatically remove any response that fails to comply with the original stated aim of the new topic.

Comments anyone?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry, are you saying Rails and Hattons might not honour the advertised prices?

I didn't say that. However if any retailers are willing to guarantee that price please let me know. I will buy my stock from them. Save me paying a much higher trade price plus VAT . Bargain if they do.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 4railsman said:

This thread now runs to 118 pages and is well past its sell-by date with many comments totally unrelated to actual "bargains".

Now we are in a new decade, it would seem to be a good time to close this particular thread and as wirey33 suggested, open a new thread of Strictly Bargain Announcements 2020 just for this years notifications, and have the moderators set it to automatically close on 31st December 2020 as the Strictly Bargain Announcements 2021 thread automatically replaces it.

Making it a "Strictly" Bargain Announcements thread would enable the moderators to automatically remove any response that fails to comply with the original stated aim of the new topic.

Comments anyone?

Why not do as I do and scroll past/delete what's irrelevant or uninteresting to you?

There have been plenty of bargains posted here recently.

I remember the precursor to this thread and the "bargain police" were out every 5 minutes then, too.

All this chatter is adding to the irrelevant posts - mine as well. There's an irony in all this complaining. Live and let live.

Edited by alunhughes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I have. 

On at least two occasions, the original Portholes and the Heljan GWR Railcar spring to mind, I have had notifications from Hattons that the price has gone up and do I want to keep my pre-order.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I'm afraid someone seems to have made an error in listing, as all the prices have either increased or increase when you attempt to checkout !

Edited by steviesparx
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

At least for the Class 22, the price changes to £96.95 when you click on the link...... :(

I think they've spotted the errors now - Class 73 price revised too.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 4railsman said:

Comments anyone?

Are the moderators automatic?

Link to half price loco for thread compliance.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/2s-019-004-n-gauge-grange-stowe-grange-6856-br-black-early-crest-1872

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

At least for the Class 22, the price changes to £96.95 when you click on the link...... :(

They seem to have made a lot of errors as all the prices have increased.

I smell a rat here <_<

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Still better than the one at Rails for £99 + postage with a detached bogie frame

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, amdaley said:

I smell a rat here <_<

sorrryyy, I had a curry last night

2 hours ago, steviesparx said:

I'm afraid someone seems to have made an error in listing, as all the prices have either increased or increase when you attempt to checkout !

oh well, have to go back to fighting and squabbling then.

I dont know if anyone pointed out on Kernows site they have had a DB 66 at £91.99 for a while now, and 56108 at £99.99...

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/56211/R3574-Hornby-Class-67-Diesel-Locomotive-number-67-013

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/53423/R3473-Hornby-Class-56-Diesel-Locomotive-number-56-108

generally cheaper than Ive seen elsewhere.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I didn't say that. However if any retailers are willing to guarantee that price please let me know. I will buy my stock from them. Save me paying a much higher trade price plus VAT . Bargain if they do.

That’s what confused me, I couldn’t make out exactly what you meant.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I have. 

On at least two occasions, the original Portholes and the Heljan GWR Railcar spring to mind, I have had notifications from Hattons that the price has gone up and do I want to keep my pre-order.

So far then I’ve been lucky.......

4 hours ago, 4railsman said:

Comments anyone?

Change for the sake of change. Leave it as it is and scroll on by if not interested. That includes this post which contains no bargains. I shall have a stern word with myself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, steviesparx said:

By the look of it when they listed them all they entered cost price by mistake shame they spotted the error.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, loickebros said:

By the look of it when they listed them all they entered cost price by mistake shame they spotted the error.

Assuming it was a mistake, a few have seen “crash” sales where the first one was discounted then a price rise on others.
Though Fair enough if its a mistake and fixing it,  I wonder if they would honour any sold though ?

Cost price doesn't cost them anything (neutral sale ?) and keeps good will, just reorder new stock. Its not as if they were selling £160 models for £1.60. Cancelling it I presume they pay the 15% or so to paypal/ebay too as its their error, so would be a negative result.

I noted it was only Dapol stuff, The DMUs /73 were pretty much Hattons prices anyway, westerns have been £80 odd quid many times with carious retailers. It was the 21 that caught my eye with it being new being relatively cheap, hence I called it out. Though i saw some an n gauge 50 was sold cheap too.

For those wanting to 'dabble'* in O gauge, Rails of Sheffield is currently offering Heljan's Class 05 shunter in four flavours for a genuine bargain of £175 (plus postage). It's significantly cheaper than any other retailer (typically c. £245). Apologies if someone's posted this before and it's not 'news'... And, they are in stock.

* Or practicing, doesn't matter :jester:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

It used to happen, before Bachmann etc., started dictating maximum discounts for X- weeks. 

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Gold

It’s a bit location specific but if anyone is after a nice big display case in the Cheshire area then St Luke’s Hospice charity warehouse in Winsford industrial estate has this......

A303B8F3-AB98-4E5D-AFF1-60E7F56038AB.jpeg.cbae9a9269b3f93a3e5d09fe31ea9db8.jpeg

it’s about 4FT fall by 2FT wide, 7 adjustable shelves (looks like it may need the little clips that hold them in place though) 

£25 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dogbox321 said:
  On 23/01/2020 at 11:51, Widnes Model Centre said:

7 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

It used to happen, before Bachmann etc., started dictating maximum discounts for X- weeks. 

Regards,

C.

In fairness to Bachmann this has nothing to do with any form of discounting. Our understanding is that at this moment in time, no firm RRP has been set by Oxford Rail. However I am reliably informed it will be nowhere near the £17 mark.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2020 at 11:20, 4railsman said:

Comments anyone?

Read the OP.

Maybe it just needs a regular reminder?

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1