Bargain Hunters Mark 2

If you move quickly before Amazon's magical mystery price algorithm changes it's mind, you can get a Hornby Collett Suburban brake in BR maroon for less than 25 sheets: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N8BMS7J/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's £15 less than the cheapest box shifters. I've snapped one up to put into GWR wartime brown.

CoY

4 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

If you move quickly before Amazon's magical mystery price algorithm changes it's mind, you can get a Hornby Collett Suburban brake in BR maroon for less than 25 sheets: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N8BMS7J/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's £15 less than the cheapest box shifters. I've snapped one up to put into GWR wartime brown.

CoY

Back up to £40 3 minutes later!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Back up to £40 3 minutes later!

(Risking a not directly bargain related post here....)

It has been suggested (here, I think) that if an item isn't selling, the algorithm keeps dropping the price until someone buys one, then the price bounces straight up again.

That would be consistent with what happened here - one purchase and it was back up to £40.

You can see the behaviour of a gradual drop followed by a sharp increase on the camelcamelcamel web site which tracks Amazon prices, though currently Amazon have asked them to stop monitoring their European sites.

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

You can see the behaviour of a gradual drop followed by a sharp increase on the camelcamelcamel web site which tracks Amazon prices, though currently Amazon have asked them to stop monitoring their European sites.

From the CamelCamelCamel website, a site I've used many times to my benefit, I see this on the home page:

In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Amazon has asked us to stop updating products in Europe until further notice.

What's Covid-19 got to do with CamelCamelCamel and it tracking of Amazon prices?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

What's Covid-19 got to do with CamelCamelCamel and it tracking of Amazon prices?

Because online purchases have shot up due to the lock in period and Amazon don’t want to miss out on the hay while the sun shines!

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Because online purchases have shot up due to the lock in period and Amazon don’t want to miss out on the hay while the sun shines!

OK, understand from Amazon's point-of-view, but I don't understand why Camelx3 would capitulate.

Edited by Damo666

9 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

OK, understand from Amazon's point-of-view, but I don't understand why Camelx3 would capitulate.

Speculation alert, it could also be to do with server loads, as traffic will be up Amazon might not want "unnecessary" price inquiries on pretty much everything they are selling at what I would imagine are very regular intervals.

Camelcamelcamel would probably comply as Amazon will know which traffic is theirs and I would expect would be able to block it if they wanted meaning camelcamelcamel would need to rework their mechanism. i.e. don't bite the hand that enables you to exist!

I might be completely wrong but I think what I have said sounds reasonable.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fezza said:

Much of their stock was originally at RRP so not quite as generous as it first appears I'm afraid. 

No, that's what I thought. It's only good for stuff that isn't fairly heavily discounted elsewhere at the moment

On 20/04/2020 at 20:38, NXEA! said:

DC Kits have a very good Hornby sale on at this link: https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=246  

I picked up a BR lined black D16 for £75, and they have a few other D16's and J15's available at that price which is very decent as the cheaper older stock sold out a while back. Several older, hard to find steam models available at great prices, few things that stood out were: 

R3168 Railroad Duke of Gloucester, £60.  

R3273 Crosti 9F, £72.   

R3115 West Country, Exeter £120 (not necessarily a bargain but a well-sought after one I believe)  

R3229 GWR Star £75 

R3105 GWR Castle £92.50 

Plenty of other stuff on there too. No connection other than a customer earlier today and thought I would pass on the info. Fill yer boots! 

On 21/04/2020 at 22:14, leopardml2341 said:

Well, I 'think' I've ordered a crosti 9F, but tbh I've never had good experiences trying to buy via mail order from DC-Kits.

ps sorry Mick :offtopic:

Thanks NXEA!

Mi 9F has just arrived :)

I can't really justify it on a SR 3rd rail layout though........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Not directed at you Tomscrut but to all who keep mentioning Amazon

Do think we need to stop repeating the issues with Amazon price rises after someone buys the offer, its been covered several times in this thread and is a known issue with Amazons approach to selling

It's the usual problem with any kind of forum/news group. Some people haven't read from the start, and the same things keep coming up.

People will continue to post bargains on Amazon that then disappear either because they bought one, or someone else did.

This is sort of why FAQs were invented, because people kept asking the same questions on mailing lists. I don't know what the answer is here. It sounds a bit rude to say something like "This is how the Amazon algorithm works and has already been discussed. Please don't discuss further as this isn't the place for it" but I'm not sure what else would work.

And I do appreciate that I've just done another "non bargain" post, thus adding to the traffic here.

Maybe we need a parallel discussion thread for the discussions that get triggered here but some would rather didn't get in the way of the actual bargains?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Never mind Amazon, our prices are low and are staying low on many bargain items and we have an offer order five books and the lowest priced book is FREE, not an algorithm in sight.

www.strathwood.co.uk

• Like 2