Bargain Hunters Mark 2

17 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Came across this seller who2538-4 on eBay who has around 40 Oxford Rail items (Dean goods, N7s and Adams Radials) in the £50-£55 price range plus £5 postage. All advertised as BNIB and you can make an offer.

I have chanced a WD Dean goods from him, but on price checking I did notice Gaugemaster have early BR Deans for £60 plus p+p….https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/oxford-rail-or76dg002.html

Edit - Also GWR green...https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/oxford-rail-or76dg003.html

Edited by steviesparx
new info
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you're quick (before the infamous Amazon pricing algorithm kicks in), you can snap up a Maunsell Brake Third in carmine & cream for £18.82, so if you add a product costing £1.18 to your basket you get free delivery.

IT SOLD - NOW BACK UP TO £36.

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

If you're quick (before the infamous Amazon pricing algorithm kicks in), you can snap up a Maunsell Brake Third in carmine & cream for £18.82, so if you add a product costing £1.18 to your basket you get free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Coach-Maunsell-S3777S-Crimson/dp/B077T3NTGJ/ref=sr_1_169?dchild=1&keywords=Hornby&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&qid=1590778395&refinements=p_6%3AA3P5ROKL5A1OLE&rnid=367778011&s=kids&sr=1-169

CoY

Now showing £35.95 on Amazon.

If you look hard enough you can find these coaches available for around the £25 mark in sales at various outlets during the year.

1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Now showing £35.95 on Amazon.

If you look hard enough you can find these coaches available for around the £25 mark in sales at various outlets during the year.

Well, that's because someone must have bought one! There were 11 in stock and now there's 10; and the pricing algorithm has booted the price back up by almost 100%! I hope an RMwebber benefited from my pointing this out. 

I'd better stop there because I know how irate people get at posts on this thread that don't contain bargains...

CoY

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Good of you to point out the original bargain. As you say, let's hope someone from RMweb secured a bargain.

It was me guv, thanks for the tip  CoY :-)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Well, that's because someone must have bought one! There were 11 in stock and now there's 10; and the pricing algorithm has booted the price back up by almost 100%! I hope an RMwebber benefited from my pointing this out. 

I'd better stop there because I know how irate people get at posts on this thread that don't contain bargains...

CoY

It also works by people looking.

So if you suddenly get 20 people looking at an item, the Amazon algorithms think that it's "hot" and the price goes up.

Jason

18 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

CoY

Guys, we need to work together as a team and just have people buy one a week, so we don't trigger the algorithm. :P

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 28/05/2020 at 22:07, 30801 said:

I agree. I was waiting for my £50 Adams Radial to arrive before posting. It arrived today and all is well and legit. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/who2538-4/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Would I be right in thinking the Hornby and Oxford Rails Adam Radials use the same motor, please? I have a DC layout and would be interested in double-heading them if they run well together.

13 minutes ago, IamDaniel said:

Would I be right in thinking the Hornby and Oxford Rails Adam Radials use the same motor, please? I have a DC layout and would be interested in double-heading them if they run well together.

I don't think so. 

They are unrelated products.

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

Don’t buy the Hornby version if my experience is anything to go by, awful traction and wheel slip even sometimes running light.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Just over 2Hrs left before they expire.

Still a few packs of oo catenary wire reduced down to £5.

Various oo wagons from £6.

Over the past few weeks I have bought quite a few packs of the catenary wire, I’ve always had a soft spot for OHLE workings so decided my GWR branch line will have a OHLE main running line going through it......rule ONE I reckon :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t buy the Hornby version if my experience is anything to go by, awful traction and wheel slip even sometimes running light.

The Oxford one doesn't like uneven track - luckily there wasn't any on my layout, it was a smooth runner otherwise and quite heavy.

17 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

Hi,

It might not matter if they did since the gear ratio and friction in the chassis could be different.

Take care.

Nick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I have the Hornby version and it seems to be fine, so maybe I was lucky! Might take a punt on an OR model since they seem to be very cheap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had the Oxford version for a while. By far and away the worst OO Scale steam loco model I have ever owned!

In fact I have found pretty much all of the handful of Oxford Rail products I have owned to be pretty awful so much so that were I to do OO again, I will never buy any of their items again.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

I have the Hornby version and it seems to be fine, so maybe I was lucky!

I think most models have good uns and bad uns, in varying proportions. Not too surprising given the level of hand assembly and insufficient production volumes to justify designing out the variation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The Oxford one doesn't like uneven track - luckily there wasn't any on my layout, it was a smooth runner otherwise and quite heavy.

Later ones have a bit of spring in the 'radial' truck. Not much but not completely solid like the first ones.

• RMweb Gold

The first batch of Oxford radials had problems with adhesion on uneven track, with the drivers not actually in contact with rails at times on my layout (where nothing else had problems at all), so it was sold. The later batches are better. My 488 LSWR livery one runs fine. 

I have two BR black Hornby ones which have a bit more finesse about the finish, run very well (and run well as a pair on DC, though that can't be guaranteed for all pairs).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

The first batch of Oxford radials had problems with adhesion on uneven track, with the drivers not actually in contact with rails at times on my layout (where nothing else had problems at all), so it was sold. The later batches are better. My 488 LSWR livery one runs fine. 

I have two BR black Hornby ones which have a bit more finesse about the finish, run very well (and run well as a pair on DC, though that can't be guaranteed for all pairs).

The Hornby version I have has solid “suspension” on the rear bogie in as much as it runs in contact with the chassis all the time in a sort of friction bearing, this is obviously not working as the rear bogie lifts the rear main drivers away from the track by minutiae, not enough to measure (I’ve tried engineers blue paper) but enough to lose traction.