Bargain Hunters Mark 2

18 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Bargain Hunters Mark 3 must be getting closer...

Just saying. 

Roy

In terms of the long tail, it might be a good idea, all those bargains, long gone and never to be repeated.

Time to start again!

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Should it be called Boring Hunters? :D

I find that quite offensive.

Mick, the OP, create this thread with some basic rules - limited discussion being one of them. It would be polite to respect the OP's request. Models such as the Radial's have their own threads - kindly go there for such discussion. Mick has already reminded everybody of this a short while ago, some people seem to just be of the "rules don't apply to me" brigade and are too selfish to comply.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

From the OP:

The odd discussion and question about said bargains are welcomed, but don't go mad with it, or the self-appointed Bargain Hunter Police (definitely not me!) will be on your case.

Don't see anything lately that goes against the spirit of this.

All these 'oooh only post bargains' posts do is guarantee another twenty or so bargain free posts. Are there really people sitting on notifications from this thread so they can instantly pounce and buy everything in sight?

Ultimately this thread is nothing without its contributors.  If you make it a tedious sink of anal misery who's going to bother?

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I find that quite offensive.

Mick, the OP, create this thread with some basic rules - limited discussion being one of them. It would be polite to respect the OP's request. Models such as the Radial's have their own threads - kindly go there for such discussion. Mick has already reminded everybody of this a short while ago, some people seem to just be of the "rules don't apply to me" brigade and are too selfish to comply.

Roy

Sorry if I offended you, not my intention.

I don’t see that the thread deviated too much, my comment about the Radial issue was to try and warn any bargain hunters that maybe those Locos need further reading before purchase, that was my intention.

And I find  “some people seem to just be of the "rules don't apply to me" brigade and are too selfish to comply“  quite offensive also.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry if I offended you, not my intention.

I don’t see that the thread deviated too much, my comment about the Radial issue was to try and warn any bargain hunters that maybe those Locos need further reading before purchase, that was my intention.

And I find  “some people seem to just be of the "rules don't apply to me" brigade and are too selfish to comply“  quite offensive also.

That comment was directed at the repeat offenders. For example,  why do we keep having the "I got one too" posts that are against the "rules"? The original thread got locked for a reason, let's not have this one go down the same path eh?

There have been no bargains for over a page -  and some of us have limited time to read this thread, having jobs to do that take time. Reading a discussion that could have been addressed by one post pointing at the relevant thread is frustrating. Before that we had discussion about Amazon selling model twice in not many pages and a discussion on ebay selling modes.

Anyhow, I will stop cluttering up the thread and just request that people read and take note of the original post.

Roy

• Like 1

I founded this in my local Poundland and thought it might be worth a punt. I won’t be spraying with it, just using it for small touch up jobs.  It may be low quality rubbish or it may mean I never have to buy a 14ml tinlet again. We shall see!

58B06BEE-30BB-41F5-B71B-4E2A76611C3E.jpeg

• Like 7

Guest Half-full
6 hours ago, forest2807 said:

I founded this in my local Poundland and thought it might be worth a punt. I won’t be spraying with it, just using it for small touch up jobs.  It may be low quality rubbish or it may mean I never have to buy a 14ml tinlet again. We shall see!

58B06BEE-30BB-41F5-B71B-4E2A76611C3E.jpeg

I bought some of this a while back, for touching up outdoor ironmongery, and I have tried it for touch ups on models.  It does what it needs to do, but by god, it stinks to high heaven!

Make sure you thin it well before using on models and keep the tin airtight after opening 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Half-full said:

I bought some of this a while back, for touching up outdoor ironmongery, and I have tried it for touch ups on models.  It does what it needs to do, but by god, it stinks to high heaven!

Make sure you thin it well before using on models and keep the tin airtight after opening 

Have you tried spraying it, and if so what did you use as a thinners please?

Guest Half-full
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Have you tried spraying it, and if so what did you use as a thinners please?

I didnt spray it, I think it would need thinning within an inch of its life, and would never dry! 

For brushing I used B&Qs own brand white thinners

22 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

That comment was directed at the repeat offenders. For example,  why do we keep having the "I got one too" posts that are against the "rules"? The original thread got locked for a reason, let's not have this one go down the same path eh?

There have been no bargains for over a page -  and some of us have limited time to read this thread, having jobs to do that take time. Reading a discussion that could have been addressed by one post pointing at the relevant thread is frustrating. Before that we had discussion about Amazon selling model twice in not many pages and a discussion on ebay selling modes.

Anyhow, I will stop cluttering up the thread and just request that people read and take note of the original post.

Roy

Roy - this goes back to the post that I made recently. This will continue to happen no matter what thread iteration or policing you apply to the thread. By the nature of a forum, people naturally want to discuss things - it doesn't matter how many times you point out the so-called 'rules', it's part of being human to question. You can either moan at those who do, or you can provide a platform for them to facilitate it whilst keeping to the aim of the thread in keeping bargains at the top. As previously mentioned, you would need a fundamental change to the structure to achieve that in my opinion - I floated the idea recently, but the general consensus was that the current format works and so should be left alone.

It's a case of accepting that you will have to deal with it I'm afraid and come to terms with the fact that you will have to wade through posts of non bargain material. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Trojmiasto said:

Roy - this goes back to the post that I made recently. This will continue to happen no matter what thread iteration or policing you apply to the thread. By the nature of a forum, people naturally want to discuss things - it doesn't matter how many times you point out the so-called 'rules', it's part of being human to question. You can either moan at those who do, or you can provide a platform for them to facilitate it whilst keeping to the aim of the thread in keeping bargains at the top. As previously mentioned, you would need a fundamental change to the structure to achieve that in my opinion - I floated the idea recently, but the general consensus was that the current format works and so should be left alone.

It's a case of accepting that you will have to deal with it I'm afraid and come to terms with the fact that you will have to wade through posts of non bargain material. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

every  post about the problem, does not solve the problem - it is the problem.....   :)

It is really simple  - dont post without a bargain or to update with pertinent info about a bargain....  :)  

oh er hang on:

Cheap  IC buffet  anyone?

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=369_370_377_386_388&products_id=5771

;)

Edited by Red Baron
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

49 minutes ago, Red Baron said:

every  post about the problem, does not solve the problem - it is the problem.....   :)

It is really simple  - dont post without a bargain or to update with pertinent info about a bargain....  :)  

I think you missed the point of my post. Not sure whether you have been following this thread from its inception, but in case you haven't, we have been through this cycle many, many times before. We always end up back in the same place, hence it is not quite as simple as you are suggesting and thus the reason for my post. 

Suggest you check with your local bookmaker for odds on 'stern post highlighting thread is for posting of bargains only, people start discussing bargains, the weather, pricing policies and everything else, bargain police swoop in resulting in another stern post highlighting thread is for posting of bargains only. Cycle repeats until internet is no more.'

Edited by Trojmiasto

3 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

I think you missed the point of my post. Not sure whether you have been following this thread from its inception, but in case you haven't, we have been through this cycle many, many times before. We always end up back in the same place, hence it is not quite as simple as you are suggesting and thus the reason for my post. 

Suggest you check with your local bookmaker for odds on 'stern post highlighting thread is for posting of bargains only, people start discussing bargains, the weather, pricing policies and everything else, bargain police swoop in resulting in another stern post highlighting thread is for posting of bargains only'

With all due respect, I haven't seen you post a single bargain, certainly not in recent times.  I have been following this thread and its predecessor since their respective inceptions.  You have, however, engaged in plenty of very wordy chatter and that is fine (in my opinion).

Don't fix what ain't broken and the dent in my credit card is proof that this thread is working!  Live and let live, remember the delete button and scrollbar.

Back to the bargains (again) and back to Hereford Models (again, again):

Bachmann 32-912 3 car Class 108 in BR Blue.  Hard to find these days and 55 quid cheaper than RRP at £114.65...

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_355_357&products_id=11588

Bachmann 31-995 LMS 1000 in Brunswick Green.  Getting more difficult to find and nearly 60 quid cheaper than the next cheapest alternative supplier, £101.95...

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_355_357&products_id=7191

Two left of each.

Alun

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

As the OP (and not as BH police)

Let's draw a line under the above.

So rather than linking back to the first post - I'll copy and paste here:

Note - they are not "rules", but a polite request to keep this thread tidy and mostly full of posts about bargains.

Post your links to useful modelling bargains here. And that includes tools and materials that may be of use, not just models.

Please note that these bargains are available others - at the time of posting - and not that you've just obtained the one and only available item.

Please add any extra details that may be helpful to others - for example - only available to shop callers/not an online offer etc.

The odd discussion and question about said bargains are welcomed, but don't go mad with it, or the self-appointed Bargain Hunter Police (definitely not me!) will be on your case.

There's no need for "me too " posts. Just tick the "Thanks" box.

Likewise - no need for "thank you" posts - just tick the "Thanks" or "Informative" box - that's what it's for.

There's no need for "nothing in it for me " either.

If you think it is NOT a bargain, then do not post a reply unless you know of a better deal.

Also - this is NOT a review thread - see the respective manufacturer threads for those.

Happy Hunting!

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Red Baron said:

every  post about the problem, does not solve the problem - it is the problem..... 

Exactly. I think the posts and conversations about the posts are in general longer than what they are complaining about.

The posts about the posts about the posts on the other hand.... *grabs coat*

Edit sorry @newbryford I hadn't seen your post drawing a line when I posted.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Not sure this is a bargain as such but I have just bought these as they are the cheapest I can find anywhere:

3 EWS Coalfish £45, -26% off RRP:

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/15790/R6928---MHA-Coalfish-Ballast-Wagon-EWS-Livery-(3-pack)

1 EWS Coalfish £16, -24% off RRP

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/15789/R6929---MHA-Coalfish-Ballast-Wagon-EWS-Livery

I bought these in combination with a EWS freight pack (not in stock any more where I ordered it from) for £117 meaning I have a 67 and 7 Coalfishes for £178 which I didn't think was that bad going, even if the 67 might end up on eBay, resprayed or renumbered. They do keep appearing around that price at different retailers though so maybe worth keeping an eye out. Obviously nowhere near as good a value as the ones I posted above but Coalfishes in EWS are relevant to the last 20 years so "different kettle of fish" :jester:

I will run my Coalfishes with my JNA Falcons as they do appear together fairly often.

• Like 1

These lot are on the eBay 20% offer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/modelrailmarket/m.html?item=363011879692&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

A few examples

Hornby Royal 47s £110 for both

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3757-R3758-EWS-Royal-47798-and-47799-Both-Locos-brand-new/362966493270?hash=item54827d2856:g:0tAAAOSwY5pejxa8

Class 87 Stephenson £120

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3739-British-Rail-Blue-Liveried-87001-Stephenson-Brand-New/362993200203?hash=item548414ac4b:g:gg0AAOSw3iReu5Ez

Belmond Pullman pack £210

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3750-Belmond-British-Pullman-Train-Pack/363011879692?hash=item548531b30c:g:UMIAAOSw0mFe17vS

EDIT after trying to find out if the code works on other sellers it would seem (having then found it on HUKD) it only only two sellers on the whole of eBay, conveniently one of which sells trains. Might increase over the next day or two perhaps so keep a look out?

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

These lot are on the eBay 20% offer:

BTW the code for this is PICKSMALLBIZ not the PICK20OFF code splashed all over eBay's front page.

2 minutes ago, 30801 said:

BTW the code for this is PICKSMALLBIZ not the PICK20OFF code splashed all over eBay's front page.

Yeah good point as it could be confused, by the looks of it PICKSMALLBIZ is a bit obscure! When I posted I wasn't aware of the PICK20OFF as I was just browsing saved searches!

Edited by TomScrut