Bargain Hunters Mark 2

Not somewhere i've seen bargains before but maybe of interest to someone?  Monk Bar models of York has 37025 in large logo livery and the regional edition intercity class 37 (both bach) on their site for £129.99.  I had seen others trying to track down 37025 but struggling to find one at full price previously.  Alas i already have both, bought at full price...

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not somewhere i've seen bargains before but maybe of interest to someone?  Monk Bar models of York has 37025 in large logo livery and the regional edition intercity class 37 (both bach) on their site for £129.99.  I had seen others trying to track down 37025 but struggling to find one at full price previously.  Alas i already have both, bought at full price...

M

I am pretty sure these have been raised before on here a while back, but that doesn't detract from the bargain IMO. I do remember it as Monk bar is one of the more local shops to me and that I also have a 37025! So £129.99 is in my opinion.good value for what is a loco in its current state that spends time with other 37s that are also available from Bachmann, the ones that spring to mine are 099 and 421.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Matt said:

M

Thanks formthat.

Heres the rest of their sale items

http://monkbarmodelshop.co.uk/model-railways/model-railways-sale-items

While maybe not strictly a full-on 'bargain', given that the new batch (through EFE Rail) is retailing at £135 (also from Rails), then £99 for a Heljan Hymek in 4mm is a price we're unlikely to see again. The 35 is no longer in the Heljan catalogue, and some retailers (usual suspects) have some stocks of the last batch, generally around £110.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/31170/Heljan-3524-oo-gauge-class-35-d7076-in-green-with-full-yellow-ends-preserved-

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

00 Stanier coaches from Rails at £9.95 each, limited stocks. Just had an email from them, but not my field of interest.

See https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3167/bargain-stanier-coaches?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=79e54fcd2f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_22_11_07&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-79e54fcd2f-5752093

HTH

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hornby Hobbies outlet shop in Swindon is closing down.  It's been this way for a week, and the staff were commenting on how it's begun to get so busy there's a queue out the store for the first time ever - not that it's difficult at the moment as only 8 people are allowed in the store.  My advice is that if you do go in, please abide by social distancing.  Apparently some model railway enthusiasts are also complete muppets about this when it comes to bargain hunting. 

There are signs proclaiming "40% off locomotives".  This is true for some things, not necessarily for others, but I'd say much of the locomotives (some at good prices anyway) and some (but not all) of the rolling stock is now firmly in the 'bargain' territory.

I just picked up a streamlined Coronation (King George VI) for £114, for example, and they had four types available (Coronation, Princess Liz in blue, King George and Duchess of Hamilton in crimson.)

Lots of shop bleached/box damaged stock on the tables - mostly coaches for £20-25 - basically halfprice.  They had some LNER Thompson suburbans in that pile, but what's left is mostly Era 4/5 British Railways stuff from all regions.  I collected much of the LMS Stanier stock at that price, sorry.  :)  Hopefully there's a bit more 'out back'.

Also - Scalextric cars and Airfix kits of all stripes at these discounts too.

Good luck!

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
Speeeeling, more remembered info.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

An interesting Amazon one I spotted earlier, an ATW 153 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00464BS7U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

This appears to be one of their pricing algorithm bargains. It's showing as temporarily out of stock, but will be back-ordered and delivered - I'm not sure whether it will though as its from the range almost a good 10 years ago, but then again I recently ordered something from Amazon which was temporarily out of stock, but then ordered in and delivered. We will see - but for £53 for a 153, even though its not my era, I couldn't resist. If unavailable, I'll get my money back so no loss. It's still showing at that price after my purchase, sold and dispatched by Amazon itself. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Agree 2

I put in for one to go with my inexplicable collection of Class 66 locos.

Given "Currently Unavailable", I expect to get a cancellation email tomorrow!

Update 10/09/20:  Just got an email from Amazon saying that they're unable to source any more so my order has been cancelled.  I'm not surprised, I was expecting a cancellation...

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2020 at 14:32, FoxUnpopuli said:

The Hornby Hobbies outlet shop in Swindon is closing down.  It's been this way for a week, and the staff were commenting on how it's begun to get so busy there's a queue out the store for the first time ever - not that it's difficult at the moment as only 8 people are allowed in the store.  My advice is that if you do go in, please abide by social distancing.  Apparently some model railway enthusiasts are also complete muppets about this when it comes to bargain hunting. 

There are signs proclaiming "40% off locomotives".  This is true for some things, not necessarily for others, but I'd say much of the locomotives (some at good prices anyway) and some (but not all) of the rolling stock is now firmly in the 'bargain' territory.

In store only though - no mail order

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Kernow Exhibition Specials on at moment

Ltd Edt Class 47/9 down to £99.99

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55373/31-651Z-Bachmann-Class-47-Diesel-Locomotive-number-47-973

Some good 'exhibition specials' offers, til Aug 31--http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1690/Exhibition-Special

cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 27/08/2020 at 23:02, amwells said:

In store only though - no mail order

Very worth the trip though! Picked up 6110 for under £90, have put some pictures on Facebook and Twitter pages under same name as I am here if people are interested in amount of stock left 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have just been into Bourton Model Railway Shop and they have the Hornby Class 800 test train (R3579 and R4897, both limited edition of 500) for a bundle price of £395. Cheaper than buying separately and I aren't aware of anywhere with both on stock either let alone a bundle price for both.

I was tempted...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have just been into Bourton Model Railway Shop and they have the Hornby Class 800 test train (R3579 and R4897, both limited edition of 500) for a bundle price of £395. Cheaper than buying separately and I aren't aware of anywhere with both on stock either let alone a bundle price for both.

I was tempted...

And for those that cannot get to the shop, a link :-)

https://www.bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk/p/Hornby-r3579-hitachi-iep-bi-mode-class-8000-r4897-coach-pack

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

RES 47 for £93.46:

https://themodelshop-northampton.co.uk/product/Bachmann/class-47-2/

I think this is RRP from when released, but given that was 8 years ago it makes for a good price now IMO unless there is something I don't know about this loco.

That’s a good price , there’s not much demand for these, ive been trying to sell a new one on eBay for ages with no luck. May have to split the body and chassis 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

£47.59 for a pair of MTU TTS decoders looks quite good. I have a couple of HSTs I might try them with. If I don't get on I won't lose much money I don't expect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R2729X-Honourable-Artillery-Locomotive/dp/B00260GBOQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=DCC+Fitted+locomotive+honourable+artillery+company&qid=1598988172&sr=8-1-fkmr0

This seems good. £102 for a DCC fitted Express Passenger locomotive. It's Hornby, but not railroad as far as I can see. Says first available in 2009, so maybe it's just an older model going cheap but £102 seems to compare favourably compared to other prices a quick google brings up.

It's showing out of stock, but it still lets you order, so we will see if it ever gets fulfilled or not...

Edited by Iskra
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

You have made my day. I was waiting for this at a good price. Breaks my policy of only buying kettles still in existence but I really wanted this one because I like the colour.

Says allow 10 days before dispatch though so could get pulled? I have bought from these before OK.

Been wanting this too, thanks to original poster.

If you search on Hornby there are a few items at good prices like some 87s at around the £130 mark

• Like 1

On theme of bargain hunters but not so much of a bargain. I keep getting banner ads on Rmweb for Pocketmags saying price drop or £30 for an annual Backtrack sub but when you click on it the price is always the normal sub of £44.99