Bargain Hunters Mark 2

23 minutes ago, andymac-2008 said:

Ian Allan Birmingham closing down 50% off all stock

Hadn't heard about that until now. A shame, as while I did pick up the odd bits and pieces from them I never visited it until only last year.

6 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Hadn't heard about that until now. A shame, as while I did pick up the odd bits and pieces from them I never visited it until only last year.

Only found out today after having a look as my other half was shopping. 

Very sad ☹️ 

still loads of stock they even still have the Oxford rail gun with loco at half price!

On 28/08/2019 at 13:54, CovDriver said:

Most of the stock went at the weekend 14k worth of stock. 

But I also popped in twice today between trains and the wallet is a lot lighter.

Cheers 

Colin

Been in today still lots of buildings wagons coaches plus some Oxford locos with or without the rail gun. Still a large amount of Scenic stuff. The tubs of scatter at half price is a real bargain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37403/Hornby-r3802-oo-gauge-lner-hst-class-43-power-cars-pack-43315-43309-

The recent HST releases are starting to fall in price. Not the OOC one mind. 

For that, you may wish to visit other model railway shops.  My nearest kindly discounted my OOC that they'd sourced for me.  I'm guessing the others may think that OOC will be a collectors item and keep it at MRP.  Shop around!

15 hours ago, andymac-2008 said:

Been in today still lots of buildings wagons coaches plus some Oxford locos with or without the rail gun. Still a large amount of Scenic stuff. The tubs of scatter at half price is a real bargain.

The initial confusion I had was the fact that the prices shown are all discounted by 50%, but it doesn't explicitly say this anywhere. Therefore, there are a number of people floating around who probably would buy stuff but are put off thinking that the ticket price is the marked down price. 

Personally, I think they've cut too hard too fast. They should have begun knocking 25% off, and then moving to higher percentages, saving 50% for the final weekend. Rate they're going, there won't be any stock left to keep them open by the middle of September. 

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
  •  
On 28/08/2019 at 12:17, SVRlad said:

You obviously don't keep up to date with RMWeb as there is a separate thread:D:

14 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

For that, you may wish to visit other model railway shops.  My nearest kindly discounted my OOC that they'd sourced for me.  I'm guessing the others may think that OOC will be a collectors item and keep it at MRP.  Shop around!

How much did they discount it to? I’d be interested for sub £240.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Trojmiasto said:

Rate they're going, there won't be any stock left to keep them open by the middle of September. 

It's only 2 weeks 'til 14th.

Maybe better to get rid of everything they don't want to take to Waterloo or sell to Booklaw.

A lot of high value stuff was removed in the last week.

Strange the 5+ Dynamis Ultimas still there ,maybe they don't sell well?

Maplin IIRC still had some stock leftover (certainly in Birmingham), precisely because they didn't discount enough earlier.

I tried making offers for some stuff but they wouldn't budge.

Edited by melmerby

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's only 2 weeks 'til 14th.

Maybe better to get rid of everything they don't want to take to Waterloo or sell to Booklaw.

A lot of high value stuff was removed in the last week.

Strange the 5+ Dynamis Ultimas still there ,maybe they don't sell well?

Maplin IIRC still had some stock leftover (certainly in Birmingham), precisely because they didn't discount enough earlier.

I tried making offers for some stuff but they wouldn't budge.

Possibly, but for instance I bought some Porthole coaches from there today at £22.50 each. They're marked up at £45 - both Rails and Hattons are showing as Sold Out. I feel as though they would have easily sold had they had a tenner knocked off, for example, and there was a bit more transparency on the reduced price. 

18 hours ago, Trojmiasto said:

Possibly, but for instance I bought some Porthole coaches from there today at £22.50 each. They're marked up at £45 - both Rails and Hattons are showing as Sold Out. I feel as though they would have easily sold had they had a tenner knocked off, for example, and there was a bit more transparency on the reduced price. 

They have been sell bits off since Christmas but the issue I think has been you can’t purchase Models on line and most of the normal stock was full RRP. The two model shops I use and support A Oakes & Mike’s Models do try to knock a bit off to encourage sales. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, andymac-2008 said:

They have been sell bits off since Christmas but the issue I think has been you can’t purchase Models on line and most of the normal stock was full RRP. The two model shops I use and support A Oakes & Mike’s Models do try to knock a bit off to encourage sales. 

I would agree with that, but those discounts have been about 10 to 20 percent off certain items only which in my opinion were overpriced in the first place - everything else remained full price. The prices were then in line with the box shifters, so no incentive to visit the shop. For instance, £37 for Thompson teak coaches was as cheap as you'd find, but it was too expensive to start with and I personally wasn't interested in spending that much per coach to assemble a rake of eight.

They then went straight from full price to 50% off - certain items had only been released a couple of weeks previously!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

From the Bure Valley Models facebook:

It has been a while since we had some good old fashioned bargains, so we thought it was time for a bargains post. We have a limited number of Hornby Locos, Wagons and Coaches at truely bargain prices. Stocks are limited and when they are gone they are gone. Visit the bargains page of our website.

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/c/77/OO-Gauge

Or why not visit our Steam in Miniature event this weekend and call in at the shop?

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just one Lord Phil left as of NOW.  ;)

They're easy to convert to DCC btw, but you do have to hacksaw off part of the weight inside the boiler to make space for a decoder, which has to be hardwired in, so test it on DC first before putting it under the knife!

• RMweb Gold

Several discounted items on https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=406  I've just bought a set of 6 tins of primer (damaged box) plus postage for £21.71 which was still a bit less than the undamaged set would have been pre-postage.

Their range is very broad (also encompassing things like spray tan machines and make up) so there may be other things of relevance  in the discounted/sale pages of their site other than just the obvious railway & military model making paints and airbrushes/accessories.

• RMweb Premium

Northern have a £10 go anywhere ticket offer in association with local newspapers across the North of England.

Valid 23 Sep - 24 Nov

Good deal for a day out.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/reachplc

(The website links have not yet had the dates updated!)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

20% off train tickets to NEC with Virgin trains if you are booking up early for the Warley Show in November.

I always miss this as I go from Manchester and you can't do a Virgin to Birmingham direct - if I go from Warrington, the parking is cheaper, the train will be less crowded probably (as not XC) and I can get 20% off.

• Like 1