Bargain Hunters Mark 2

20 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Winter sale announcement from Rails:

At first glance it appears to be a restatement of the "sale" prices they've been offering for at least a month.  The remnants of the Hornby Thomas range (Edward, and two brake coaches) have been offered at those prices for even longer!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The Works have a "Wooden Tumbling Tower" set for £3.

That gives you 54 pieces of wood* approx 2" by 5/8" by 3/8" (the sizes come out nicer in inches than mm), all nicely cut to the same size.

It's very light wood - almost feels like balsa - but I'm sure there are plenty of uses it could be put to.

In particular, with the pieces on their side they are just about the right height to make a 00 guage platform once you've added a few thicknesses of cereal packet card for the surface.

I'm not sure how long they would stand up to actually being used to play Jenga, but that's not the point.

If you have a local shop and they're not in, you can order them as click and collect for no extra charge. (And when you collect, you get 10% off anything else you buy in the shop...)

* According to the box. I haven't counted.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2019 at 08:22, Garry D100 said:

Massive sale at model railways direct

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/special-offers/

Some real bargains to be had

Just noticed Class 66 TTS decoders in the "Any Scale" section at £29.99

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/digital-and-analogue-control/Hornby-r8121-tts-sound-decoder-class-66/

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

Just noticed Class 66 TTS decoders in the "Any Scale" section at £29.99

Not even the end of the 1st, and bang goes a New Years Resolution!!!

Only problem is that I can't remember how many if I need two or three TTS Class 66 decoders...

• Funny 3

Further bargains picked up.  I wanted a Midland Railway 4F to run with my pre-grouping GWR items and railway ambulance train.  With the sale on I purchased a Bachmann #31-883 MR 4F and a Bachmann #38-544 MR guards van without duckets.  Total cost including postage downunder was GBP71.00.    Given that the guards van retails downunder for between $50.00 and $80.00 Aud including postage and the loco $200.00 to $240.00 Aud,  my total outlay with exchange rate was $141.63 Aud.

The ModelRaildirect staff must be working holidays as I received a picking list email overnight for two previous purchases which indicates that the staff were working yesterday, New Years Day.

4 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Further bargains picked up.  I wanted a Midland Railway 4F to run with my pre-grouping GWR items and railway ambulance train.  With the sale on I purchased a Bachmann #31-883 MR 4F and a Bachmann #38-544 MR guards van without duckets.  Total cost including postage downunder was GBP71.00.    Given that the guards van retails downunder for between $50.00 and $80.00 Aud including postage and the loco $200.00 to $240.00 Aud,  my total outlay with exchange rate was $141.63 Aud.

The ModelRaildirect staff must be working holidays as I received a picking list email overnight for two previous purchases which indicates that the staff were working yesterday, New Years Day.

Hmmmm....

I succumbed to temptation and ordered 6 Mk1's on 30th Dec.  Not seen a picking slip yet.

1 hour ago, jukebox said:

Hmmmm....

I succumbed to temptation and ordered 6 Mk1's on 30th Dec.  Not seen a picking slip yet.

My orders from the 30th were for a Bachmann 04 Robinson and a Hornby LMS Suburban train pack.  I was surprised to get the picking list email overnight.

7 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Seems to go back up everytime someone buys one

Its a pricing algorithm. I'm not quite sure how it works, but if an Amazon supplied line is slow selling, it is automatically marked down to generate interest and when someone bites, it pops back up again.  I should imagine that its also affected by pageviews after the price has cycled given that it reportedly bobbed down to £100 then after a purchase was made at that price, rose to £150.

19 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My orders from the 30th were for a Bachmann 04 Robinson and a Hornby LMS Suburban train pack.  I was surprised to get the picking list email overnight.

Picking email arrived overnight.  All is good with the world!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My box of goodies from MRD arrived today. Although I'd selected RM48 delivery it was actually sent RM24, just as well someone was in. Be aware your parcel may arrive earlier than you'd thought.

Edited by Nile

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nile said:

My box of goodies from MDR arrived today. Although I'd selected RM48 delivery it was actually sent RM24, just as well someone was in. Be aware your parcel may arrive earlier than you'd thought.

I assume you meant MRD (model railways direct) as mine arrived today also, RM 1st class........what a bargain truly, the push pull set for £45 :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, so happy on close inspection of the P-P set I popped back to MRD and ordered an H Class to,go with it while they are still at just £85.......and while there I noticed the Collett Autocoach for just £20.....that’s silly money, so here I am again......waiting for a confirmation. :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2020 at 09:05, Willoughby Glen said:

Seems to go back up everytime someone buys one, did this when it went to 4 and has done it again when down to 3.  Amazon do this alot, seen it with kits go from £89.99 to £64

Currently £149.20 :wacko:

On 03/01/2020 at 21:53, spamcan61 said:

It's Schrödinger's loco - if you look at the price you'll change it ;-)

Hi,

It could be Heisenberg's loco but I'm not certain ;-).

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2020 at 17:02, boxbrownie said:

Oh dear, so happy on close inspection of the P-P set I popped back to MRD and ordered an H Class to,go with it while they are still at just £85.......and while there I noticed the Collett Autocoach for just £20.....that’s silly money, so here I am again......waiting for a confirmation. :D

Finally found time to test run my Xmas presents to myself today; the J15 runs like a sewing machine straight out of the box, smooth as silk; and this is using a Duette... why can't all new locos run like this!

• Like 2