newbryford

Bargain Hunters Mark 2

On 30/06/2020 at 13:19, SeanG said:

On the subject of feedback when things went wrong, I received the wrong item on a postal order from a model shop. A quick phone call and they sent the correct item out 1st class that day and told me to keep the incorrect item, despite me offering to send it back to them.

This is where a genuine mistake actually led to a good review and me intending to use them again. Top marks Rhuddlan Models.

Anyway, back to the bargains....

Our old friends in Hereford have a new class 87 for £55. Seems like a good deal to me...

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_354_352&products_id=12252

I think that's a Railroad version (IE the old Lima model)...Just for info!

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Hereford models, just called in in person and got me a couple of bits and bobs 

the owner is happy for me to post the following, I think these are a cracking buy

Dapol class 22s in various states of weathering and renumbering for £85 (the Heljan western is £70)
0D0A5C5C-6EFF-428A-B382-F88EA5492ED7.jpeg.18dac5015ca7c1a9ba02c9ec2c1ac226.jpeg

530319F8-A615-4007-B19A-BB312928D9E5.jpeg.63a8a226af7f7add3251419ab75a505d.jpeg

7E3F1309-6081-40B7-8AEA-972852A08887.jpeg.dbb963925f1d74daedca00af91f9e591.jpeg

the weathering isn’t the best on some but it’s more than passable, the renumbering is also not fantastic, only the last 2 digits changed, the head codes could be better applied too

this is one I got for myself, as there was a dodgy renumbering on one end (which came off with my thumbnail after I’d paid) it was priced at £65, my model has the spare head codes in the box so I can’t see a reason any of the others wouldn’t 

BDC2AF4F-1DAC-4EC8-AC8B-A8EF0448FC43.jpeg.22675e04a009ad4a2154cf956a5e3f59.jpeg

C7F1AB82-E06F-4F67-BCA8-4434E069B4BE.jpeg.52f9f7a5c8b6d125f5db151ee82eb137.jpeg

obviously these are in the cabinets in the shop so if you want one you will have to call them to see what they have left 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The PICKSMALLBIZ discount code has been renewed on Ebay and is valid with some retailers until 31/07/2020. It gives a 20% discount on items of £10 or more, up to a maximum discount of £50.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2020 at 10:35, FoxUnpopuli said:

It does beg the question...  are any other model shops on eBay with the same 20% discount?

Edit: Yes...

ModelRailMarket

SouthDevonRailway

Unless I'm mistaken, everything on these 2 sites now has 20pct off with the renewed PICKSMALLBIZ offer, and both sites (esp SDR) have new stuff on there. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Model Rail Market have 2nd class Pullman for £49.99 but with the PICKSMALLBIZ offer giving 20pct off this price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-39-310c-BR-Mk1-SP-Pullman-2nd-Parlour-Umber-Cream-Lighting-Brand-New/363018789837?hash=item54859b23cd:g:2LEAAOSwAhxe4iPE

5 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It's funny how a £45 coach is now a bargain. :D

They're quoting the RRP as £76.95................

On 01/07/2020 at 09:59, newbryford said:

From Transport Models at Preston:

Good news for all the bargain hunters.

The sale has increased to 20% off when you spend £20 (excluding shipping)

This includes items that are already discounted.

So if an item already has 15% off you get an extra 20% off

The discount is automatically calculated at checkout so no code is needed.

Thanks Mick, just used the discount. Excellent value on many products, including Hornby locos with some HST packs and locos coming in at very attractive prices w/discount. Also I noticed Peco points are just over £10 for medium radius, which is great value though some are OOS. Keep an eye out as I’ve seen a few items become unavailable since Wednesday, a couple which may or may not have been my fault...

New items are added daily though and if the shop stock is/was anything to go by, there are lots more items to add yet!

Jack. (usual disclaimer - I’m a satisfied customer)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, letterspider said:

Fantastic! Can anyone confirm that the lighting on these sets will be damaged on DCC if you don't have a decoder installed?

No idea about damage but for the sake of a £10 LaisDCC decoder is it worth the risk on a £200+ set of coaches?

On 02/07/2020 at 20:03, Metr0Land said:

They're quoting the RRP as £76.95................

I know, that's what's so shocking about it.

4 hours ago, Kaput said:

No idea about damage but for the sake of a £10 LaisDCC decoder is it worth the risk on a £200+ set of coaches?

Where are you getting those £10 - that is a bargain? (I thought they have been embargoed)

5 hours ago, letterspider said:

Where are you getting those £10 - that is a bargain? (I thought they have been embargoed)

Hi,

Embargoed by whom?.

Regards

Nick

I'm 99% sure thats the exact model of decoder in my 4TC and all functions work perfectly.

On 03/07/2020 at 10:16, John M Upton said:

Kernow are knocking out discounted blue/grey 4TC sets if you are not fussy about a damp damaged box:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68531/32-641Z-Bachmann-Class-491-4-TC-Unit-number-404-SOILED-BOX

I know a response of 'Hey I just got one of these' is frowned on, however I have just received one of these and no visible (or smell of) damp damage anywhere.  The tissue surround was ripped but I'm not worried about that so currently a happy bunny.  Today they have 'more than 10' available so perhaps discounting by another name?  YMMV

June's Continental modeller and Model Rail 'free' electronic versions if you have Amazon Prime at the moment.

10 minutes ago, SR71 said:

June's Continental modeller and Model Rail 'free' electronic versions if you have Amazon Prime at the moment.

How?

11 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

How?

I was hoping no one would ask!  :D

I will try to explain. This is based on the app.

In the main menu go to Prime. Part way down the page that loads there is an option for 'view everything included in prime account'. Then select 'prime reading' and 'learn more'. Finally select 'current magazines' and scroll down to see if there is anything you fancy. If you have a Kindle etc. They will load to that otherwise you need the free kindle app.

...every post should have a bargain so I will add I've seen rail is in there too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Hmm.  I can see CM, but not Model Rail...

It is there along with Rail and the Railway Magazine

Edited by Ouroborus