Bargain Hunters Mark 2

Can't see how you sign up for an e-mail newsletter though?

think its previous customers must be getting sent it.

Not convinced you're missing much - the ones I've looked at taking the 25% off brings the price down to what you find the same item for elsewhere. I'm sure some of those 'before' prices must've been increased!!!

It's more complicated than that. The banknotes are legal (provided they're genuine) but they're not legal tender in England and Wales. ie English/Welsh retailers etc can refuse them.

A bloomin' nuisance it is when you've just returned from Scotland and pay for something in an English shop with a Scottish note and the cashier says, "Oh, I'm not sure I can accept that." Well the Scots accept the English notes! *pulls baffled face*

Anyway, back to bargains. Rails are selling weathered 150s for £99, which I think is a good buy.

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-150-1-2-car-dmu-150150-br-sprinter-weathered-JJJA22420

Edit to include link

Edited by SVRlad

• RMweb Gold

No notes (English,Scottish or Northern Irish) are legal tender. Only certain coins up to specified amounts are legal tender.

Roddy

Mmmmm, not quite - unless you are referring only to Scotland.  A quote from the Bank of England website:

"What is classed as legal tender varies throughout the UK. In England and Wales, legal tender is Royal Mint coins and Bank of England notes. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, only Royal Mint coins are legal tender. Throughout the UK, there are some restrictions when using the lower value coins as legal tender. For example, 1p and 2p coins only count as legal tender for any amount up to 20p."

Edited by 55020

• RMweb Gold

It's more complicated than that. The banknotes are legal (provided they're genuine) but they're not legal tender in England and Wales. ie English/Welsh retailers etc can refuse them.

I think the phrase is accepted tender when notes may be used but are not legal tender.

Roy

No notes (English,Scottish or Northern Irish) are legal tender. Only certain coins up to specified amounts are legal tender.

Roddy

Mmmmm, not quite - unless you are referring only to Scotland.  A quote from the Bank of England website:

"What is classed as legal tender varies throughout the UK. In England and Wales, legal tender is Royal Mint coins and Bank of England notes. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, only Royal Mint coins are legal tender. Throughout the UK, there are some restrictions when using the lower value coins as legal tender. For example, 1p and 2p coins only count as legal tender for any amount up to 20p."

I think the phrase is accepted tender when notes may be used but are not legal tender.

Roy

Bargains????????????????

Can't see how you sign up for an e-mail newsletter though?

I contacted them and it seems that you need to buy from them first before they will put you on the list. Figured it wasn't worth the effort and will stick to my regular dealers in the UK.

Khris

Can we please, please, please stay on topic!

It is on topic.

Maybe you go to the shop, and they don't accept your money? Then it's not a bargain.....

Moaning comments put the whole thread off track much more than slightly going off thread,  I'm not singling out you. It's just the constant "Bargain Police" attitude usually without even posting bargains themselves.

But, do we need constant posts about what Rails, Hattons, Kernow, Hornby, etc. are offering? Anyone with sense has already received the Email hours before they are posted on here.

Jason

It is on topic.

Maybe you go to the shop, and they don't accept your money? Then it's not a bargain.....

Moaning comments put the whole thread off track much more than slightly going off thread, I'm not singling out you. It's just the constant "Bargain Police" attitude usually without even posting bargains themselves.

But, do we need constant posts about what Rails, Hattons, Kernow, Hornby, etc. are offering? Anyone with sense has already received the Email hours before they are posted on here.

Jason

Point taken Jason so no more posts from me!

So everyone else that are not on the mailing list don’t forget to check each day.

P.s Sawyers have figures in N & OO for £4

Sorry my last I promise

Edited by andymac-2008

It is on topic.

Moaning comments put the whole thread off track much more than slightly going off thread,  I'm not singling out you. It's just the constant "Bargain Police" attitude usually without even posting bargains themselves.

Jason

Sorry but no, a discussion on what does and does not constitute correct payment for an item is not related to bargains at all. It is a tenuous link at best. I don't have an issue with it being discussed here, but it isn't relevant.

The posts on what Rails et al are offering are relevant as they are bargains, which I personally find very welcome. Sometimes someone will point out a little gem you yourself have overlooked. So I would encourage people to keep posting them please.

• Like 1

Ok, they may have purchased them cheap from the distributer, but I can't believe they're selling them at a loss.  Perhaps it's no wonder things don't sell when the markup is so high?

Without knowing what the complete delivery to Rails consisted of, how much they paid for that delivery and how much of it they have sold its an impossible question to answer. It could be the sold items have covered or almost covered the cost. In such circumstances the extent of mark up is irrelevant; if they have covered their costs on the whole delivery selling at any price is profit regardless of whether its below the cost price of the individual item.

Point taken Jason so no more posts from me!

So everyone else that are not on the mailing list don’t forget to check each day.

P.s Sawyers have figures in N & OO for £4

Sorry my last I promise

Please please carry on. Due to your posts about bargains I have found myself buying from businesses that I neve knew existed. Thanks to you these businesses now have an extra customer so please carry on.

All the best

Charles

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jason

We may not. but I do.  I simply do not have the time to scan every single shop every day to see if they happen to have a bargain.

I truly value the contributions from other posters who have searched out or stumbled upon something that may be worth following up.

Apologies that this is not actually a post about a bargain I have found.

• Like 2

Today Rails have big discounts on some Rivarossi HO stock.

This 4-car (not familiar with the prototype) is now £139.50, down from £392.99.  That's a massive discount of 64.5% !!!

https://railsofsheffield.com/fs-electric-railcar-class-etr-450-pendolino-unit-JJJA33748

Ok, they may have purchased them cheap from the distributer, but I can't believe they're selling them at a loss.  Perhaps it's no wonder things don't sell when the markup is so high?

Anyways, if you want an HO ETR Class 450 then this really is a bargain.

Paul

Thanks - tese should go really fast...and just what I want.

Some of us forget to check the sites / don't want to subscribe to sites like Rails and by the time we find out - the bargains have gone. Keep on posting those bargains please!!

• Like 2

It is on topic.

Jason

My edit to red text in quote above.

Isn't it somewhat ironic though that there was 'bargain policing', but no 'bargain' included in that post? :declare:

Try here for some reasonable prices:

http://www.ttcdiecast.com/railway-99-c.asp

Bargains?

Up to the reader to decide; I don't want anything on that list so to me they're not  bargains :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

It is on topic.

Jason

I don't agree with this at all. A forum only works because there are different sections, topics and threads, for different conversations, which are kept separate for the purposes of contributing and/or following conversations on topics that interest you. This is not a pub where you can nip to the gents if the conversation goes off-track or no longer interests you, and nor can you attempt to steer the conversation back on track in the remote world of distance digital dialogue. 

The real world equivalent would be convening a panel of experts to talk about, say, the technicalities of Brexit, and a member of the panel to jump off topic and start talking about holiday destinations of the French Riviera. A tangential link, yes, but an unwelcome distraction that would likely irritate the fellow panel members and the audience who have attended for a particular reason and for a particular topic.

It is not as if the forum is not sufficient large and varied enough to have any conversation - sans Politics or smut - that you so choose, see 'Wheeltapers' for instance. 

CoY 

• Like 2