Bargain Hunters Mark 2

Speaking of A3s.

This is a bargain.

Flying Scotsman Manual - An Insight into Maintaining Operating and Restoring the Legendary Steam Locomotive

£6 from The Works, reduced from £23. Loads of detailed photographs and drawings.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/transport-books/flying-scotsman-manual---an-insight-into-maintaining-operating-and-restoring-the-legendary-steam-locomotive/9781844257065

Jason

Nope. The original Bargain Hunters thread was closed down due to moaners complaining about people pointing out "bargains" that weren't bargains. 

If you look at the A3, which is on offer at the moment, then is it a "bargain" if it is shaped like a banana?

Or a cheap model that is riddled with Mazak rot. Is that a bargain if it falls to pieces in six months time?

It's a forum. A forum is for discussing things.

Jason

I'm not entering a slanging match otherwise I become as guilty as others. I completely agree with you that it is a forum and forums are for discussing things BUT a topic is also a topic and a bent chassis do not constitute bargain. Suffice to say that the original poster brought it to everyone's attention that what appeared to be a bargain MAY be a substandard item. If it needs further discussion open a new TOPIC. 

Must the bargain police chip in everytime we stray from the subject ever so slightly? Thread drift is part of life on a forum, and subsequent posts were related to the original bargain anyway. The original thread was locked down because of people highlighting the smallest deviations from the topic, and the new one is yet to take off in the same way, which is to everyone's loss.  

Back to the original subject, I see Rails have some DJM J94's for only £69.50, and Hornby J50's for £59.50. Good deals if you ask me. 

Edited by NXEA!

I'm not entering a slanging match otherwise I become as guilty as others. I completely agree with you that it is a forum and forums are for discussing things BUT a topic is also a topic and a bent chassis do not constitute bargain. Suffice to say that the original poster brought it to everyone's attention that what appeared to be a bargain MAY be a substandard item. If it needs further discussion open a new TOPIC. 

Surely posts like this disrupt the thread flow much more than a brief discussion about the item? Which had finished BTW.

Can't people just ignore the irrelevant posts? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of new posts a day on the forum and I manage to ignore most of them as they aren't relevant to me.

Anyway. This has been discussed to death and the OP allows discussion (as sanctioned by Andy Y). It would be a shame if the thread got locked again.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Surely posts like this disrupt the thread flow much more than a brief discussion about the item? Which had finished BTW.

Can't people just ignore the irrelevant posts? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of new posts a day on the forum and I manage to ignore most of them as they aren't relevant to me.

Anyway. This has been discussed to death and the OP allows discussion (as sanctioned by Andy Y). It would be a shame if the thread got locked again.

Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

.... but is it not perfectly valid to point out a warning where something might seem a bargain but there's a problem with it? If new topics are scattered all over the place folk would never see that information and wrong information can be posted in the BARGAINS one all the time.

Its not hard to just keep scrolling if you dont like the post or aren't interested in its contents. I dont buy N gauge .... should there be separate N gauge and OO gauge BARGAIN topics so I only get the relevant ones? No, everythings in the one place and some bargains aren't restricted to a particular scale

The original bargain hunters thread was closed down by the moderator because it kept digressing.

Can someone explain to me why bent loco's are bargains?

Please open new threads if something you want to say isn't advice on a BARGAIN.

I guess that a bent loco can be fixed and it's at such a cheap price that its worth the risk.

I guess that a bent loco can be fixed and it's at such a cheap price that its worth the risk.

Its not bent its rotten and beyond repair because the chassis will continue to expand and basically fall apart.

Indeed, to someone aware of the issue and who can deal with it, or at least make something useful out of the parts, a reduced price defective loco may suit their needs very well. 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, to someone aware of the issue and who can deal with it, or at least make something useful out of the parts, a reduced price defective loco may suit their needs very well. 

.... but is it not perfectly valid to point out a warning where something might seem a bargain but there's a problem with it? If new topics are scattered all over the place folk would never see that information and wrong information can be posted in the BARGAINS one all the time.

Its not hard to just keep scrolling if you dont like the post or aren't interested in its contents. I dont buy N gauge .... should there be separate N gauge and OO gauge BARGAIN topics so I only get the relevant ones? No, everythings in the one place and some bargains aren't restricted to a particular scale

Quite so, but virtually everyone on this thread knows what happened to the last thread for the same reasons.

That should indicate that further discussion of a bargain should be taken elsewhere.

Those interested will follow it and this thread can stay uncluttered, for bargains not discussion.

As for scattering information, if you follow this thread you'll know where the related topic has gone. As the poster will hopefully post a link to it.

If we keep this up it'll be closed again, and nobody will be better off.

Rob

Must the bargain police chip in everytime we stray from the subject ever so slightly?

That did make me chuckle. "Look out lads! It's the rozzers!"

post-17811-0-41136800-1510160905.jpg

I would suggest the attitude of the bargain police does nothing to encourage other people to share their bargains. And those with very low post counts are hardly likely to have shared anything themselves.

Yep. Seems to me that some of them just want everyone else to do the legwork and then snaffle up the bargains before anyone else has a chance to get them. Hence the impatience and intolerance of anything that isn't a bargain.

Jason

Yep. Seems to me that some of them just want everyone else to do the legwork and then snaffle up the bargains before anyone else has a chance to get them. Hence the impatience and intolerance of anything that isn't a bargain.

Jason

Life's like that; chill!

I did think about not posting this just in case you're beaten to it by everyone else, but I expect there's enough to go round.

Quite a good read IMHO.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/train-books/the-railways/9781846682094

ps I don't need anyone to point out that it's not a toy train.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

The best place for brushes is The Works. You can get good quality sets for about £2.

Or three packs of 4 for £5.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint-brushes/boldmere-nylon-round-brush-4-piece-set---3-packs/kit04531

I got a nice pack of detailing brushes from there:

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint-brushes/ultra-fine-control-brushes---pack-of-6/5052089014800

Hobbycraft also sell some good sets:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/art-supplies/painting/paint-brushes