Kent Garden Railways

Sand-Modeler

Does anyone know if Kent Garden Railways of Orpington are still in business or a legitimate company?

I have sent a couple of emails to "sales(at)kgrmodels.com" but they never replied. I found what I was looking for on their website, placed an order and paid through PayPal. I received an order number confirmation.

When I checked the order status today, my account shows zero previous orders. I checked PayPal and there has been no transaction.

I ordered again, they only have 1 item in stock, the order was accepted, I paid, then received exactly the same order confirmation number as before. I always keep screen shots because of the problems with online ordering.

I have used the contact form to contact them instead of the email address, and so far have not had any reply.

With all the online fraud that there is, and being unable to get any response from the company, I wonder have they gone bust, are they legitimate or do they just not care a jot about customer service?

NW

have  dealt  with  KGR  for  years,   but  always  find  that  Telephoning  gets the  best  results,  It is  a small business  and  the  time  to  deal  with internet  tends  to  be  overshadowed  by  actual  customers  visiting  them

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago online and the item arrived next day. So they're definitely still around. In fact they are due to be at the REC's Woking show in September this year.

Hi Sandmodeler.

Most definitely still trading. Was in there during the week to pick up some stuff.

Andy normally tries to get orders out by the next day. He is usually in the shop himself on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, (Subject to exhibitions), and has his helpers in on Mondays and Fridays. Normal opening time 09.00 to 17.00.

He is normally quite fast to answer the phone, although he might occasionally be in the store room next door or popped up the road to the post office to dispatch the orders. So just give him ten minutes and try again.

He should be at the Bertha James exhibition in Bromley next Saturday if you are nearby.

Hope that this helps.

RB

My daughter and family live about 5 minutes walk and I try to visit the shop on family visits. I was there a couple of weeks ago. The shop is so full of stock from N to G two people can't pass each other. It's a wonderful Aladdin's cave. If you are still having problems trying to contact them, PM your order to me and I'll get one of my lot to chase them up. They are away for a few days but will be home by the end of this week.

Hope that helps.

Tod

• 4 months later...

Same thing with them avoid ordering from these guys!

I ordered from Kent Garden Railways a G scale Accucraft Mannin on 12th October plus a coach and a wagon. With transport to France the order was very near £2 000

Transport agreed was through DPD

The Mannin was without RC so they offered to send it to an "accredited Accucraft engineer" delay two to three weeks

For payment as I am mainly living in France I could not pay directly through the order form but phoning them and giving my card details

I asked if they could fit a whistle but KGR replied that it was impossible 

I formally agreed by mail same day asking to send the whole lot in the same time

12th October they informed that the R/C fitting is booked they asked for not ordering a charger with a UK plug. I replied the same day that I will prefer to get a charger with a UK plus as the locomotive might be used on a project I got in my small garden in Hovel.

Then only silence!

Mailes on 12th December, 22nd December, 15th January and last on there contact form where I informed that I was cancelling my order.

I ordered in the past from them and it was a very quick and safe delivery.

They should stop advertising in the press..

I have had generally good experiences with them. Had a faulty Hornby 00 loco from them, emailed for return permission, no response. Quick phonecall and issue was resolved. Exchanged no quibbles asked. And at that point, a rare, discontinued item (of which they clearly had 2 in stock!).

Also Bachmann retailer of the year 2016, so very legit!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113220-kent-garden-railways-awarded-Bachmann-retailer-of-the-year/

Interesting to hear it is for sale, especially after investment in relocation of the shop...

• RMweb Gold

The business is advertised as for sale in the current Garden Rail.

I've just been out and purchased a copy of "Garden Rail" and have to point out that the shop referred to in the above posting is not Kent Garden Railways - the shop up for sale is Garden Railway Centres of Cheltenham.

:offtopic: It's the first time I've purchased a copy of "Garden Rail" for ages - used to have it on subscription under Atlantic Publishing - and must admit that it has improved a lot since then......

Keith

I can understand the frustration, but I would erge caution when posting 'negative' comments about businesses. There is often a simple reason(eg poor health) for problems, and it does not help making  complaints publicly

I have said it before, but more shoud get involved in the business side of the hobby, not leaving up to others to provide everything. Not everyone can help, many could, but don't. If you are lucky enough to have a model shop nearby, and it is obvious they need help, then why not offer to help them. You are then , not only helping a local business but also the hobby.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The problem with reviews is that people tend to be much more willing to write negative than positive reviews and I do think that in some cases at least that a small number of negative experiences lead to distorted perceptions of good businesses. On the other hand it is also true that if you have a bad experience then it may be completely irrelevant that the majority are satisfied with their experiences. Like with sports teams, you're as good as the last experience.

Having spoken to the owner of KGR this morning here at the Erith show, in Longfield, the business is not for sale and he's been very busy as it's been the season of merriment and joy as well as being ill recently ( like quite a few of people).

Please try contacting him again for an update, most Mondays he's having a day of rest after a show weekend so it's not always going to be someone completely aware of the whole situation who could answer.

MC

Always have had excellent service from the shop, Andy the owner is very welcoming and I find it difficult to come away from the shop without buying something. We are very lucky to have a shop like this locally and I agree that negative comments can do untold damage.

I'm going to visit next week, must leave the wallet at home!!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

KGR seems to be one of those businesses that fly under the radar thanks to not being one of the big 3 box shifters but which stocks a terrific range of products, is competitively priced and has a good reputation for service. I get a bit perplexed when threads on the big 3 include whingeing as if more people looked past certain shops they'd realise there are alternatives that offer great service and offer good value.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just been out and purchased a copy of "Garden Rail" and have to point out that the shop referred to in the above posting is not Kent Garden Railways - the shop up for sale is Garden Railway Centres of Cheltenham.

:offtopic: It's the first time I've purchased a copy of "Garden Rail" for ages - used to have it on subscription under Atlantic Publishing - and must admit that it has improved a lot since then......

Keith

Yes, my apologies, I only flipped through the mag at work and got the wrong business.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was pleased when I found Kent Garden Railways near my house. Over the years Andy and his team have been able to supply my needs.

Especially when I was trying to finish a N gauge layout for my club’s exhibition and needed more ballast. He was there to provide it the same morning and I was able to complete the layout in time for the exhibition. Had I had to get it from other ‘large places’ I may have had to withdraw from the show.

Andy is loyal to the local clubs and goes a long way to keep his clients happy.

REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR LOCAL MODEL RAILWAY SHOPS!

When they are gone, they are gone!

North London has lost a lot of shops. Let’s stop the rot!