So, seeing as Monk's Gate (aka Midland in London - which was in London but is now in Birmingham- keep up...), has been disallowed from the MRJ Cameo Competition, I've decided to start another layout that will conform to the Cameo Rules, i.e. Scenic section under 2M. It is at the moment a twinkle in my eye and hasn't even made it on to the back of an enevope. However, inspiration acknowledgements go to nhy581, for posting some enticing photos of the Midland Railway in Bristol, with further photos to be found in Midland Record No 30. Hopefully the envelope sketch will appear over the next few days.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Right - here's a pic of the back of my envelope. A few fudgy areas but basically there I think. Comments welcome...!

Love it, in my followed list already.

What I particularly like is that even though the layout is only a smidge over six feet you are still only going to have visible track for just over half the length. Inspired.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Splendid choice, Trickers.........will we see a touch of the dear old S&DJR creeping in..?

Either way.................Bloody good show !!!

Rob.

post-14122-0-57035600-1502476214.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

I very much look forward to seeing this layout progress. Your skills and attention to detail shine through in your Monk'e Gate layout so I have no doubt this will be a more than worthy entry into the cameo competition. :)

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

So, after a bit of 'radio silence' due to a rather major diy project on the house, I have now resumed operations and have made a start on the boards. The first pics show the main board (not including traverser) in 6mm birch ply with the front profile cut out and the outline of the dock basin also cut out. The off-cut will form the bed of the basin. The next pics show the start on the main beams which are laminated 6mm ply either side of 18mm mdf spacers. All scientifically worked out so that joins with cross braces coincide with an mdf block. Confused? All will become clear, I hope.

post-31608-0-81271500-1504123983_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-67224100-1504123998_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-69678900-1504124017_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-98979500-1504124028_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob. I still can't work out how to do that on an iPhone, or alternate text and photos.

Don't worry matey, if I was posting on a phone, I wouldn't know what to do either.

It's good to see quality materials being used for baseboards, it makes such a difference in the longer term.

You might not be aware the Midland operated a station in Bristol called St Phillip's. This was closed shortly after the 2nd world war. Traffic being diverted into Temple Meads. I've only ever seen a few pictures of it. It was for local traffic and consisted of a single platform with an engine release. Details and supporting photo's can be found in Bath Green Park to Bristol by Vic Michell and ken Smith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

St Phillips closed to passengers in 1953 but continued with freight until 1967..

Rob

post-14122-0-02180700-1504205754_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

St Phillips closed to passengers in 1953 but continued with freight until 1967..

Rob

This photo and others of St Phillips are in Midland Record No 30. Very atmospheric and modelogenic indeed. The photos of the Docks, however are my main inspiration for this, also very atmospheric. Any ideas where I might be able to find details of the Midland barges...?

A very productive evening in my workshop; it may not look very impressive but all of the beams are glued up one side, the other sides will be glued on tomorrow and then trimmed up and hopefully put together over the weekend. I didn't fancy glueing up both sides as there's quite a bit of slippage with pva.

post-31608-0-81444900-1504209449_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

This photo and others of St Phillips are in Midland Record No 30. Very atmospheric and modelogenic indeed. The photos of the Docks, however are my main inspiration for this, also very atmospheric. Any ideas where I might be able to find details of the Midland barges...?

Not sure Richard.

Is it worth lodging an enquiry here....https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/m-shed/

People might be interested to know that Bristol St Philips is the latest layout built by the Thornbury & South Glos MRC, in 00, and will be appearing at our show in Thornbury on 18/19 November - and, we hope, in the December issue of the Modeller.

Cheers

Rob