That poor horse, had to walk all the way from London to Bristol with that cart........

I think it was Birmingham actually (although still not sure...) so he was able to take the canal for most of the way.

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

To be honest I hadn’t really clocked that the Midland came down this far until I started constructing the model, and I also had no idea they owned a fleet of barges (or lighters to give them their proper title).

I wonder if the lighters were not actually for moving cargo down the harbour from the Midland's good facilities, which are up stream of  Bristol Bridge, to the ships in the docks (or vice versa). Sea going ships could not go up river beyond Bristol Bridge. The first rail access to the main basin of the floating harbour was only in 1872, when the GWR accessed Wapping Wharf from Temple Meads by tunneling under St Mary Redcliffe church, and the main harbour lines off the Portishead branch to Wapping Wharf and Cannons Marsh were not built until around the turn of the century. Therefore lighters would have been a sensible way to tranship, avoiding the chaotic traffic of central Bristol (then as now).

I suppose that lighters might have been used to ship goods up the Avon, but, since the Midland had rail access to Bath, I am not sure what traffic would justify it.  

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the lighters were not actually for moving cargo down the harbour from the Midland's good facilities, which are up stream of  Bristol Bridge, to the ships in the docks (or vice versa). Sea going ships could not go up river beyond Bristol Bridge. The first rail access to the main basin of the floating harbour was only in 1872, when the GWR accessed Wapping Wharf from Temple Meads by tunneling under St Mary Redcliffe church, and the main harbour lines off the Portishead branch to Wapping Wharf and Cannons Marsh were not built until around the turn of the century. Therefore lighters would have been a sensible way to tranship, avoiding the chaotic traffic of central Bristol (then as now).

I suppose that lighters might have been used to ship goods up the Avon, but, since the Midland had rail access to Bath, I am not sure what traffic would justify it.  

Best wishes

Eric

That sounds likely. I dug out the article on Bristol from Midland Record No. 30 but it doesn't have anything to say on the Midland's water-borne traffic in the city. I am sure I have read something on this somewhere but haven't succeeded in tracking it down. The Midland's line to Bath didn't open until 1869 so I imagine in the early years the Midland was keen to use the (Great Western-owned) Kennet & Avon Canal to compete with the Great Western for goods traffic in the Avon valley.

• RMweb Premium

The lighters the MR used in Bristol Docks were quite a broad beam. The River Avon was navigable only as far as Bath with weirs and locks, but I dunno if they would have been able to pass the locks. The Kennet and Avon turns off the river just beyond the GWR station, and I’m sure they would never have managed the locks on this stretch, as they’re the seven foot wide type.

• RMweb Premium

The lighters the MR used in Bristol Docks were quite a broad beam. The River Avon was navigable only as far as Bath with weirs and locks, but I dunno if they would have been able to pass the locks. The Kennet and Avon turns off the river just beyond the GWR station, and I’m sure they would never have managed the locks on this stretch, as they’re the seven foot wide type.

The locks on the Avon were supposedly 75ft x 16ft, and the Kennet and Avon locks were supposedly 70ft x 13ft 9" (I'd have thought 14ft).

Adrian

Work is progressing nicely...for some reason I always seem to work left to right on the buildings...!

One thing which I have found interesting is the importance of being able to view the scene from the intended public viewing height as construction progresses. Perspective and details you think are visible suddenly alter as your eye level gets lower. This cameo thing is certainly a challenge and one I am enjoying (so far!).

post-31608-0-57741400-1516385908_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

As well as working in the warehouse and building to its left, I’ve also done some work on the canal walls and timber baulks.

This first photo is of a section of timber which is supposedly protecting the three drainage pipes but I suspect may also be used for tying up barges. It’s probably a bit too substantial for either purpose but better that than too flimsy-looking. Next job will be to paint the ply ‘water’ a ‘water’ colour before planting the walls and applying a thousand layers of gloss varnish.

post-31608-0-64657200-1516827693_thumb.jpeg

To the left of this length of wall is a section which is in the process of being re-built. You can just make out something like this in one or two of the 1890’s photos on line. It’s protected by newer-looking baulks. The black hole behind will be filled in and scenicised to look like builder’s work in progress.

post-31608-0-60098200-1516827913_thumb.jpeg

Looking forward to adding some colour to the water, brickwork and timber to start to bring it all to life.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I know that some of the rebuilt walls in the floating harbour have iron tie rods extending horizontally 12-15ft back into the bank/ground behind. Might make a nice feature !

Done a fair amount of work on the canal walls and water effect. Will post a few photos in a couple of days when I’ve done a few more coats of varnish.

Also been struggling with one of the turnouts - a sharp Y. Can’t seem to get it to run smooth. Will rip it up for the second time and start again. This time using a 6’ curve template to make sure I don’t go under this, rather than setting out the curves by eye. Wasn’t a problem with the other turnout as it’s more gentle. Photos of this will take longer than a couple of days...!!

• Like 2

I love the waterside walling and bumpers (don't know the correct term) you have fitted to the harbour, will look fantastic when they're distressed in the way that you do so well, with that attention to all the little details.

As for the turnout problem, maybe a little gauge widening at the problematic point (no pun intended).

I have a threeway point within my double junction complex on Talyllyn, and I'd built it to 31-5mm gauge (O-MF), but because of the sharpness of the radius of the turnout, I've had to take the gauge out at least 0.5mm to allow a smooth transition, I've also fitted an extended check rail to assist with the transition. 

It may help, it may not, hopefully the former!

Jinty ;)

In it's present form it has an extended check rail which certainly helps. I think the main problem however is the transition from one radius to another isn't smooth enough. Plus the transition area is probably right on the crossing. So all in all, bad permanent way practice!! Sack them.  

Looks like the permanent way gangers have moved in to clear the site. Let’s hope they manage to stay on site to finish the job properly now they’ve started, rather than getting distracted...

post-31608-0-48018200-1517603546_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

That sounds likely. I dug out the article on Bristol from Midland Record No. 30 but it doesn't have anything to say on the Midland's water-borne traffic in the city. I am sure I have read something on this somewhere but haven't succeeded in tracking it down. The Midland's line to Bath didn't open until 1869 so I imagine in the early years the Midland was keen to use the (Great Western-owned) Kennet & Avon Canal to compete with the Great Western for goods traffic in the Avon valley.

While looking through my brother's book collection, I found this ....

post-7952-0-51197800-1517917217_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Did some more work today on the tops of the walls, adding the coping stones and railings. Also added a tarp and a partial load to the lighter. Feels like it’s starting to come together now..

post-31608-0-45759200-1518109650_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-27101100-1518109709_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-34217400-1518109800_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-78775800-1518109754_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

although it's not my scale I might just go to that.

no guarentee these are Midland barges

attachicon.gif1997-7397_DY_1022.jpg

intresting river side scene

attachicon.gif1997-7397_DY_1027.jpg

this has to be the feeder which runs on the north side of St Phillips Marsh

attachicon.gif9738573173_0029a018fd_b.jpg

Donald Flook who worked in Barrow Road shed workshop in the 1950s and who was responsible for the maintenance of most of the shed facilities, including the water powered hydraulic wheeldrop, was also responsible for the hydraulic cranes at Avonside Wharf.

What a superb model - any chance of adding one of these cranes?

Edited by barrowroad

Donald Flook who worked in Barrow Road shed workshop in the 1950s and who was responsible for the maintenance of most of the shed facilities, including the water powered hydraulic wheeldrop, was also responsible for the hydraulic cranes at Avonside Wharf.

What a superb model - any chance of adding one of these cranes?

I had thought of it but considered it would be too dominant in the foreground. I did think, however, about putting the base of a crane in to look like one being newly constructed or in the process of being refurbished.