Agree with loaded but worry slightly about how bright the signage is on the side of the wagon and the Glass label.

Could just be the effect of photography, but would a printed black label have been so bright back in the day?

Apols for being so "picky", but your modelling is so good it requires careful attention from your followers :)

...although I may need to make him a bit less oriental-looking...?!

Or maybe he's the local rep for a Tea Co. awaiting delivery of your tea chests ?  :jester:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Today I took delivery of 11 sets of sprung w-irons from Slaters - so guess what I’ll be doing in the new year...! Final scenic details currently being finished, although there will always be something to add. I’ve also got the long-suffering tank loco to rebuild (again) but this time with an ABC gearbox and radio control, and a new set of coupling rods. Plus some extra details from Laurie Griffin. So looking forward to getting to the completion of this project. It’s been great fun along the way.

Happy New Year to you all.

Tricky

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Today I took delivery of 11 sets of sprung w-irons from Slaters - so guess what I’ll be doing in the new year...! Final scenic details currently being finished, although there will always be something to add. I’ve also got the long-suffering tank loco to rebuild (again) but this time with an ABC gearbox and radio control, and a new set of coupling rods. Plus some extra details from Laurie Griffin. So looking forward to getting to the completion of this project. It’s been great fun along the way.

Happy New Year to you all.

Tricky

... and so on to that fleet of D299 5-plank wagons as seen in the photos:

post-29416-0-38956000-1546673432.jpg.

• Like 12

Here’s my drawing for the timber framing, probably not very clear but in two sections so that it takes on a bit of a curve.

post-31608-0-41320700-1546678298_thumb.jpeg

I’ve cut most of the blanks from maple and planed them to section. Here I’ve cut the pieces to form diagonal cross braces and cut slots in each at an angle with a chop saw (one for the woodworkers - Queensquare!) to form half lap joints. Much easier than fiddling about trying to glue together as individual bits.

post-31608-0-17756200-1546678470_thumb.jpeg

And lastly, glued up and ready to be trimmed to size when dry.

post-31608-0-95959600-1546678559_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up Trickers.

What a splendid layout. Each time I look at the photos, I find something new drawing my attention.

An utterly absorbing model railway.

A triumph.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up Trickers.

What a splendid layout. Each time I look at the photos, I find something new drawing my attention.

An utterly absorbing model railway.

A triumph.

Rob.

Wot 'e said, simply stunning.

Jerry

Also catching up with this, it is exquisite and totally believable, your time spent has been well worthwhile Richard. 

May I also wish you a Happy New Year too.

Grahame

• Like 1

Here’s a few overall shots of the layout, it is very nearly there. A few tweaks here and there. I am however going to make one more structure which will go above the right hand bridge nearest the front and will be a timber frame with a corrugated roof to given the impression of covering tracks which run over the railway on the curved bridge. I felt this corner was a little bare and needed some height to help ‘frame’ the scene a bit more. Photos to follow as construction proceeds.attachicon.gifECCD94D4-D7DE-4216-B673-F3CA9FB136F6.jpegattachicon.gifECAC4F72-0939-410C-ADFA-7D3A403BB5E3.jpegattachicon.gifEC4111CB-9058-4D97-A2FE-4F3DF02B8BFC.jpegattachicon.gif50207476-C758-475C-9D81-4570294D4911.jpegattachicon.gif4C37BDCF-A2B6-4A20-B754-058E70133036.jpegattachicon.gif15E3BCCF-3DF6-4C44-BECA-2519962CD9E2.jpeg

Wow, wow, wow, wow ... erm .. did I mention wow!

I have been following your progress with this in the background since you started.  For something that, I think is a fictional location, it really is a wonderful model. One can just imagine that off-scene to the left is one of the Onedin Line ships!!  I really hope you are able to get this out on the exhibition circuit, either as a diorama or a working model, (or in BRM/MRJ) as it really should be shared and enjoyed. Just lately, the standard of work on several threads really does seem to have raised the bar on rmWeb, although I can decide if it has the effect of pushing other people (like me) to do better or making us think we should just pack up now!  I jest, it should encourage and inspire, especially a step-by-step thread like this, to show people what can be done when you set your mind to it.

Really well done Tricky, I hope you are immensely proud of this.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, wow, wow, wow ... erm .. did I mention wow!

I have been following your progress with this in the background since you started.  For something that, I think is a fictional location, it really is a wonderful model. One can just imagine that off-scene to the left is one of the Onedin Line ships!!  I really hope you are able to get this out on the exhibition circuit, either as a diorama or a working model, (or in BRM/MRJ) as it really should be shared and enjoyed. Just lately, the standard of work on several threads really does seem to have raised the bar on rmWeb, although I can decide if it has the effect of pushing other people (like me) to do better or making us think we should just pack up now!  I jest, it should encourage and inspire, especially a step-by-step thread like this, to show people what can be done when you set your mind to it.

Really well done Tricky, I hope you are immensely proud of this.

It's booked for MRJ as soon as Richard is happy that it's finished.

Jerry

• Like 9