I’ve gone for a totally new radical approach - this is suck it and see experimental modelling at its ‘best’ (or worst!). I’ve put one coat of red on and then transfers and then a second coat of red. The idea being to gently abrade the red when it’s dry covering the transfers to make them look faded and old. Or they may just turn out a strange shade of pink. We shall see.A71A2419-ED20-4543-B87D-84024FA84FB2.jpeg.72ba5813e1a78513de786003e9a1e45c.jpeg

In truth the first coat of red didn’t have enough depth and was possibly a bit too orange....! We’ll see tomorrow if my experiment works...watch this space...

Thanks have to go to Compound2632 and Mikkel for invaluable advice on numbering and livery details. Thanks chaps. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, numbers on the ends but I think Tricky is on to that. As Compound2632 has pointed out, they seem to have come in when the small "GWR" was moved to the right hand side (I don't want to clog up Tricky's thread with details, but as a quick aside have a look at the images in Mike's post here, showing the left hand side GWR and no end numbers). 

• Thanks 1

Good news and bad news:

Good news is the red wagon above is coming along nicely and numbers have been added to the ends. 

Bad news is the grey wagon suffered a bit of a catastrophe as I was trying to change the axleboxes from oil to grease and a vital part pinged off into the nether regions of the workshop. So until that turns up, my fleet of GW wagons is down to one! Pics tomorrow maybe...

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Or in my case, the NER equivalent, the C2.

There were, in c. 1902-1907, 62,000 Midland D299 wagons, 24,208 Great Western 4-plank wagons (they don't have a diagram number), 15,000+ LNWR D4 4-plank wagons; how many C2s were there, as a matter of interest? The North Eastern was up in the big four pre-Grouping companies on several counts including size of wagon fleet, but one has to factor in the very large number of mineral wagons owing to the North Eastern's no-PO policy.

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

One of the reference photos shows a horde of D299s with a solitary S&DJR Highbridge-built clone:

963498963_DY1024BristolAvonwharf.jpg.265408f1568eab315ebf5cad151d54cf.jpg

DY 1024.

Do you think I’m pushing it to knock one out in 3 days...? <_<

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The S&DJR D299's weren't all carbon copies of the Midland versions apart from them being an inch and a half thinner and having no bottom doors. There were ones built with raised ends and wooden sheet rails; others with William's sheet rails and 14 built with raves (7 with side doors) to transport peat.   

Marc

SDJR 5PLK.JPG

SDJR 5plk flat ends Small.jpg

SDJR peat Small.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Like Tricky, as a D299 afficionado, I'm interested in the source of your information, especially the different width. I was aware of the Highbridge variations on the theme, along with other detail differences such as the longer brake handle and chunky wooden doorstop. I hope Tricky won't object too much if I intrude one of my 4 mm/ft models here (apologies for the wheel-less and brake-less condition):

1572142736_SDJR5-plankwagonNo.527WIP.JPG.050bbb4a62e81784af935076af3c6bd8.JPG

Built using the Slater's kit, of course. I've been wondering how much Highbridge made themselves and how much was sent down from Derby - axleboxes and other castings? axleguards, knees and other ironwork? Or maybe just patterns?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There were, in c. 1902-1907, 62,000 Midland D299 wagons, 24,208 Great Western 4-plank wagons (they don't have a diagram number), 15,000+ LNWR D4 4-plank wagons; how many C2s were there, as a matter of interest? The North Eastern was up in the big four pre-Grouping companies on several counts including size of wagon fleet, but one has to factor in the very large number of mineral wagons owing to the North Eastern's no-PO policy.

According to Tatlow, from June 1903 23,340 were upgraded from 8 to 8 1/2, 9 and 10 tons, 2.500 had an extra plank added in 1905 to bring them in line with the latest C9 (no idea how many C9s), from 1908 the much larger C10 was introduced and there were 22,405 at grouping.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

According to Tatlow, from June 1903 23,340 were upgraded from 8 to 8 1/2, 9 and 10 tons, 2.500 had an extra plank added in 1905 to bring them in line with the latest C9 (no idea how many C9s), from 1908 the much larger C10 was introduced and there were 22,405 at grouping.

Interesting. On a par with the Great Western equivalent.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting. On a par with the Great Western equivalent.

Surely not that bad... ?

Coat left behind as I run for shelter...

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Surely not that bad... ?

Merely numerically. It's an indicator that, although the North Eastern's wagon fleet was numerically on a par with the Midland's, because of its policy of using its own wagons for mineral traffic (which the Midland did too, though not to the exclusive degree achieved by the North Eastern), the size of the North Eastern's wagon fleet devoted to merchandise (or goods if you prefer) traffic was on a par with the Great Western's; which is reasonable for two companies of similar size, importance, and wealth.

Edited by Compound2632
Absent apostrophe inserted.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And I at Gatesheadians.

Ah.

I failed to read “importance” as “self-importance”... ;)

Edited by Regularity
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Tricky said:

Interesting. Where might I find more info on them? Maybe one for after the weekend...

They are listed in the Southern Railway Wagon Vol.1 LSWR/SDJR. Also post 1914 most SDJR wagons were split between the LSWR and the midland but some included the peat wagons were still in their SDJR livery in 1930. As a side those wagons handed back to the parent companies were only fully repainted when it was needed  so in most cases the SDJR lettering was painted over and the parents painted onto the SDJR liveried wagons. So you can get LSWR lettered wagons on a grey wagon rather than the brown oxide.  

The kits for the raised ended D299, 299 with flat ends and the peat wagon are available from us. if you PM me I can get something sorted. 

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Just checked Southern Wagons Vol. 1. The drawing, Fig. 52, of these wagons (SR Diagram 1304 for those that passed to the LSWR) shows a wagon of internal and external dimensions identical to the standard Midland D299 wagon. The only significant point of difference is the length of the headstocks: 7'6" on the Midland vehicles, 7'9" for the Highbridge ones. This would mean that on the Midland wagons, the headstock projected 1/2" beyond the curb rail; on the S&DJR wagons, 2". Careful comparison of photos suggests that this might indeed be the case.

For a while, I thought I was seeing two red wagons there, until I realised it was just one wagon but with different door-stop arrangements on the brake and non-brake side.