• RMweb Gold

Well done Richard. 

This layout is an absolute triumph. 

Rob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Worsdell forever said:

I've not been following the competition but if you got second, how good is the winner gonna have to be? :O

That's an interesting question. I don't think any of the other Cameos on display quite matched Midland in Bristol for quality of modelling and attention to detail. I can only conclude that the august panel of judges wanted something with more action, which it has to be admitted the winning cameo did have.

• Like 1

Well, about to get going for day 2 at Railex. This being the first time I have exhibited, I really don’t know how you do it over and over again...it’s exhausting! 

Will report more at close of play.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Richard. 

It is hard work, especially if you are a solo exhibitor. 

I tend to find I am chatting an awful lot ( sometimes to other people! ) that operating comes second. That and being on one's feet all day is a tad taxing.......not to mention the take down and drive home on the last day....but it is good fun.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Only second! what did you have to do to get first? The mind boggles

I’ve always suspected judges on panels feel compelled to do something to justify their selection, which is why when faced with a no brainer, they so frequently get it wrong!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Congratulations! Following your build on RMweb and in your articles in MRJ has been an inspiration for me to pay more attention to details. It was a great pleasure to see your layout 'in the flesh' and to chat briefly about the potential for smaller batteries and their use in tank engines.  Thank you for travelling up from Royal Tunbridge Wells and showing what I think will be considered to be a real milestone in 7mm building. I look forward to seeing more from your workshop in the future, maybe even a little Deeley 0-4-0 saddle tank that is radio controlled!  Keep up the great work!

Best wishes

Rich

PS Enjoy your book choice, it is well deserved.

PPS Didn't the Midland have shunter's trucks (attached to their 0-4-0s?)  - could be a great place for a battery!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Signalman Rich said:

Deeley 0-4-0 saddle tank that is radio controlled!  Keep up the great work!

PPS Didn't the Midland have shunter's trucks (attached to their 0-4-0s?)  - could be a great place for a battery!

The Deeley engines - 1528 Class - were side tanks, so even better for a battery. Unfortunately none were allocated to Bristol. though they were used at Gloucester docks. The saddle tanks were Johnson engines - rather more challenging to scratch-build and with less space for a battery - 1322 Class and 1134A Class. Again, none were further south than Gloucester. [Ref. Summerson, Vols. 3 & 4.] But history could be bent... 

As far as I can tell, shunter's trucks - converted from old 3-plank dropside wagons - were a very late Midland development and confined to the larger marshalling yards, where the shunters had some distance to cover. The tool box offers even less space than a saddle tank. How big are these batteries?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw Richard and the layout today. Must say it looked absolutely superb, photos don't do it justice. Pity nothing was able to run due to RC interference but there was so much to look at that didn't really matter. Well done on the second place in the Cameo competition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for your expertise Compound. I have shown my ignorance of matters Midland! I was thinking of the pretty little Johnson saddle tanks which I wrongly attributed to Mr Deeley. I had in mind the photo  (Plate 27 in Midland wagons Volume One by R J Essery)  that shows a shunter's truck that has a large box that seems to go the full width and length of the body rather than the  smaller central collection of  boxes with lift-up lids. The deep footboards might go further in hiding any downwards projection of the battery.  I don't think Tricky would have any problem in making either of the tank engines, given his quality modelling and  his lovely Johnson 0-6-0 on the layout.

Regarding battery size:  I have next to no  practical knowledge of radio control or of the batteries, but read Giles Favell's article in MRJ 271 and was impressed by their rectangular shape as fitted into the trailer of the mechanical horse.  That might be suitable?

Either way I am sure that Tricky will find a solution and hopefully write about it, too.

Best wishes

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Signalman Rich said:

Thanks for your expertise Compound.

My only expertise lies in owning a book and reading it. I am reassured by Dave Hunt giving me the tick of agreement,

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Well well well. What a weekend! It was  really good to meet so may rmwebbers and thank you all who came up and introduced yourselves and stayed for a chat. Exhibiting for the first time is quite a steep learning curve I can tell you! Really pleased with Best Model (thanks Jerry, much appreciated!). 

Was thinking about radio control/dc/dcc driving home...still very undecided. Today was the better day strangely even though nothing was running. I put a sign up explaining the situation which meant I think most folk were understanding and kindly commented that there was enough visually going on to not matter too much. 

Thanks to the Scalefour chap (Bernie?) who lent me his 4mm clockwork loco as he thought it ‘might help’! He was quite pleased to take a photo of the comical arrangement!!

All in all a fabulous weekend and very well organised. Hats off to the team.

Edited by Tricky
Scalefour not Scaleseven!!
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2019 at 19:07, Worsdell forever said:

I've not been following the competition but if you got second, how good is the winner gonna have to be? :O

I was going to say the same!!  Absolutely fantastic Rich, I am glad to see that all the hard work you've put into has been recognised, although like many other's, and no disrespect to the winner, I'd have given this first prize, operational or not!

Truly stunning, and very inspiration.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Missing word and spelling!
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Rich,

I'd like to echo the congratulations. Thoroughly deserved. I could have spent ages on Saturday drinking in all the detail - lots of cameos within the cameo! Just goes to show that there's much to be gained from a small project done to a high standard, from the view of both the builder and the viewer. Also that you don't necessarily need action to grab the attention.

Looking forward to more progress on Monks Gate.

Best wishes,

Geraint

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1