My experiences of RC were to be fair very limited as I only tried one manufacturer's products. Even though I have (temporarily at least) reverted to two-rail DC, I still have a hunch that RC will be the way forward, when we catch up with technology - or the other way round. Transmitters, receivers, and especially batteries need to get a lot smaller to accommodate anything less than a tender loco. Charging is also a pain. MarshLane above may well know more, especially combining with sound. That's something else I never managed.

Hi Richard, I've just found your thread and, having seen Midland in Bristol at Railex it's good to look back on how you built it. I've got to say I find your work and techniques very very inspiring, I like the idea of raising the track bed slightly so as to get some uneven height in the goods yard. 

I'll def follow your threads to get some more inspiration.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I’ve started another thread ‘Midland in Tewkesbury’ as Bristol’s replacement. Track levels on this will also have subtle variations as well. 

I’m glad you approve!

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2018 at 11:16, Tricky said:

Couldn’t resist nicking some props from Monk’s Gate last night...!

post-31608-0-82371500-1515582911_thumb.jpeg

Hi Richard,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before - I have had a look back through Bristol and also London, but cannot find the answer.  Where did Ned come from?  The horse I mean, not the chap with him!  Also, do you happen to know the dimensions of your MR cart to which he is pulling in the picture above?  I have been trying to find real world dimensions of some drays and carts but keep striking out.

Rich

On 21/09/2019 at 22:25, MarshLane said:

Hi Richard,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before - I have had a look back through Bristol and also London, but cannot find the answer.  Where did Ned come from?  The horse I mean, not the chap with him!  Also, do you happen to know the dimensions of your MR cart to which he is pulling in the picture above?  I have been trying to find real world dimensions of some drays and carts but keep striking out.

Rich

Hi Rich, Ned and his dray originated from Slaters - 7A28, although I believe he may be available separately. Both him and his dray are about 175mm long. The dray itself is about 45mm x 100mm. Let me know if you need more accurate dims or any other info.

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2019 at 22:25, MarshLane said:

Hi Richard,

Rich

I haven't looked through it in detail, but there is a thread about horse transport at 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I haven't looked through it in detail, but there is a thread about horse transport at 

Phil,

Thats great - many thanks for pointing that one out, hadn't seen it at all!

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

A fitting end to the Midland in Bristol chapter me thinks. Onward and upward...!FFCEB935-5AB0-4FD3-B61E-0F02EA44DC75.jpeg.7349c6fccf64c122b93a40e43f93313e.jpeg6368E176-30F6-4DB2-B846-468497F1E95A.jpeg.e24bd3bce01c4d0c87447f1d322fcfea.jpeg

Well done Jerry, a superb issue all round...not just because of this you understand!!!

The beautiful photo of the GW lorry in the facing page was semi-deliberate and superb inspiration for another design of my ‘nail varnish’ packing crates!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tricky said:

A fitting end to the Midland in Bristol chapter me thinks. Onward and upward...!FFCEB935-5AB0-4FD3-B61E-0F02EA44DC75.jpeg.7349c6fccf64c122b93a40e43f93313e.jpeg6368E176-30F6-4DB2-B846-468497F1E95A.jpeg.e24bd3bce01c4d0c87447f1d322fcfea.jpeg

Well done Jerry, a superb issue all round...not just because of this you understand!!!

The beautiful photo of the GW lorry in the facing page was semi-deliberate and superb inspiration for another design of my ‘nail varnish’ packing crates!

My copy arrived yesterday and looking forward to reading the article. It looks great in the magazine. I would like to see it for real but doubt that will happen as I don't get to many exhibitions.

Martyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tricky said:

I will look out for this special issue!   Congratulations on your new website too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sumo said:

I saw Bristol at Uckfield today and have to say it was one of the very best things I have seen in the hobby. Magnificent. 

And the rest of the show was rather good!

Hi Sumo, glad you liked it!

Only found this thread because of the MRJ article, lovely layout and will read the thread from the beginning. The Avon Street area of Bristol is a very interesting area to model and I had great fun doing it in 4mm albeit at a later time period, so much so I am about to embark on it in 7mm, if I can create something a tenth as good as this I will be pleased!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done on the MRJ article Tricky, really enjoyed reading it. I can empathise about your world crashing down around you, I suffered a few things back in 2013 and unfortunately didn't do much of anything for a bit. Encouraged by my partner I'm really enjoying building my models now and love the inspiration I get from looking at threads such as yours. I find your work truly inspiring and I'll look forward to seeing more of your stuff. Keep up the good work :)

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I only came to this beautiful layout via MRJ yesterday.  It is a truly stunning piece of work and I spent a pleasant time reviewing the whole blog.  I lost count of the amount of oos and ahhs emanated along the way.  Despite the speed of this build, the attention to detail is incredible and it seems to have been wrought from hands that have been modeling for a whole lifetime.  Yet, I understand from the MRJ article, that you have only been practicing the hobby for a few years since your family has all grown up!  There is always a danger that layouts try to stuff in too much, yet your creation is exactly the right balance.  Truly blown away by this work and my mouth waters at the thought of future creations from you.  Midland in Bristol is testament to what can be achieved in the hobby when the creative juices are allowed to flow untapped.  A lovely work of art that has been precisely executed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, PaternosterRow said:

I only came to this beautiful layout via MRJ yesterday.  It is a truly stunning piece of work and I spent a pleasant time reviewing the whole blog.  I lost count of the amount of oos and ahhs emanated along the way.  Despite the speed of this build, the attention to detail is incredible and it seems to have been wrought from hands that have been modeling for a whole lifetime.  Yet, I understand from the MRJ article, that you have only been practicing the hobby for a few years since your family has all grown up!  There is always a danger that layouts try to stuff in too much, yet your creation is exactly the right balance.  Truly blown away by this work and my mouth waters at the thought of future creations from you.  Midland in Bristol is testament to what can be achieved in the hobby when the creative juices are allowed to flow untapped.  A lovely work of art that has been precisely executed.

You are too kind, but your comments and encouragements are greatly appreciated. All I would simply say is it is 90% observation, 10% execution, with a liberal dose of experimentation along the way! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rich,

If you get time, any chance of replacing (or reposting) some of the lost photos?  I am particularly interested in the river occupant (ok the boat - or whatever the technical name is!) for some ideas, and to be honest, its way too good not to be on here anyway!

Rich

On 07/11/2023 at 23:51, MarshLane said:

Rich,

If you get time, any chance of replacing (or reposting) some of the lost photos?  I am particularly interested in the river occupant (ok the boat - or whatever the technical name is!) for some ideas, and to be honest, its way too good not to be on here anyway!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I fear the photos are long gone. But I'll have a look back and see...

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2023 at 23:51, MarshLane said:

Rich,

Rich

Is it the Lighter you are interested in? I confess I pinched some of those images and can post them if @Tricky agrees.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

Is it the Lighter you are interested in? I confess I pinched some of those images and can post them if @Tricky agrees.

Oh yes please Michael, if Rich is happy with that.

I am mulling, ponding, obsessing, over a little working diorama of Tramway Centre in Bristol, which was beside Broad Quay around the Floating Harbour area (very very early days I have to add!) but it occurred to me the Lighter (thanks for the right name for it!) that Rich had modelled would probably have been seen in that area, and I was looking for some inspiration :) 

Rich .. assuming Midland In Bristol is still in your ownership/railway establishment/hobby shed (delete as applicable!) could you give me a length/width measurement?  If I decide to go any further I'll do some proper research on them!

Rich