After my intense soul-searching whilst on holiday, I decided to re-do the backscene to this:post-31608-0-27669800-1506974043_thumb.jpg

Not immediately obvious are the curves at either end; more so in this shot

post-31608-0-38752000-1506974189_thumb.jpg

Once I finalise where the buildings are going I can begin to have a go at painting the sky, buildings and other features in the distance, the intention being of course to get them to blend with the modelled landscape. Herein lies the success or otherwise of a cameo...!

• Like 10

Richard,

Quick question how are you going to build the wagon turn table?

Marc

Hi Marc,

Quick answer, don't know!

Still debating with myself whether it will work or be static...

If it works, it will need some turning mechanism, obviously! Also wagons will need to be propelled by rope as no loco access to the road by the dock front, and how do I make that work...?!

If it's static, then any wagons on the dock front road will also be static. Not a major problem I don't think as they can be in the process of being loaded/unloaded.

However, having said all that, basic construction I think will be 6mm ply and a bit of track stuck to it and then detailed with real wood planks to simulate real wood planks...

Richard

• Like 1

I haven't tried it yet, but I bought a large diameter taper roller bearing on eBay. I chose the biggest size before there was a big jump in price. I think it was about a fiver. My plan was to stick it to some old CDs laminated together, then work out how to motorise it. Real overkill, as it could easily turn an entire layout, but a simple pivot that should give good support.

The last few evenings have been very enjoyably taken up with constructing the shells of the various buildings and structures. I had to have a couple of goes on some of them to get the positioning and scale right, trying to loose the ins and outs of the railway as well as blending the transition from 3D buildings to 2D backscene. I also wanted to complete this phase before painting the sky.post-31608-0-64526800-1507663107_thumb.jpgpost-31608-0-59841000-1507663159_thumb.jpg

After painting the sky I think I will be finishing the barge and providing some 'water' for it to sit in. After that, purchase of trackwork bits and bobs and maybe even a set of Deb's 31.5mm gauges...!

• Like 11

Here's a cheeky glimpse of the sky painting. Only a glimpse because the rest isn't finished. Very very difficult to get the feeling of depth. More haze needed and some suggestion of distant chimneys, cranes and buildings.

post-31608-0-54737700-1508271437_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here's some more shots of my moody sky. Maybe a bit too moody? Although I'm imagining Bristol in 1907 to be pretty dirty and sulphurous so the sky matches the mood down on the ground. I think it's finished although every time I come back to it I'll fiddle with it some more!

post-31608-0-84319000-1508356049_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-49598300-1508356075_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-17737500-1508356105_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Guest Midland Mole

The sky fits the feeling of the scene excellently, top work on it. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Excellent moody sky!  How about painting on a couple of tall chimneys belching the aforementioned sulphurous smoke to add to the atmosphere:-)

Hi Wenlock, yes, in my mind's eye I'm ahead of you...already contemplating chimneys, cranes, telegraph poles etc etc fading into the distance. Wondering how I might paint them and also wondering if in the process I'm about to ruin all my hard work...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wenlock, yes, in my mind's eye I'm ahead of you...already contemplating chimneys, cranes, telegraph poles etc etc fading into the distance. Wondering how I might paint them and also wondering if in the process I'm about to ruin all my hard work...!

I think i'd probably draw some chimneys , cranes, etc on separate bits of paper, cut them out and then blue tack them in position on the backscene.  You could have hours of fun playing around with the position and composition without worrying about ruining that lovely sky!:-)

Edited by wenlock
  • Like 1

I think i'd probably draw some chimneys , cranes, etc on separate bits of paper, cut them out and then blue tack them in position on the backscene.  You could have hours of fun playing around with the position and composition without worrying about ruining that lovely sky!:-)

Good idea, thanks.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Richard..I have to say this is evolving into an absolute masterpiece.

Splendid stuff.

Rob.