It's booked for MRJ as soon as Richard is happy that it's finished.

Jerry

Good move Jerry, thank you, I feel it deserves a wider audience.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard.

Have just caught up with your thread and now know what I have been missing. The layout is superb and the artistry and skill that you have put into it makes it a masterpiece in my book.I will be following this thread from now on.

Rod

Here’s a few overall shots of the layout, it is very nearly there. A few tweaks here and there. I am however going to make one more structure which will go above the right hand bridge nearest the front and will be a timber frame with a corrugated roof to given the impression of covering tracks which run over the railway on the curved bridge. I felt this corner was a little bare and needed some height to help ‘frame’ the scene a bit more. Photos to follow as construction proceeds.attachicon.gifECCD94D4-D7DE-4216-B673-F3CA9FB136F6.jpegattachicon.gifECAC4F72-0939-410C-ADFA-7D3A403BB5E3.jpegattachicon.gifEC4111CB-9058-4D97-A2FE-4F3DF02B8BFC.jpegattachicon.gif50207476-C758-475C-9D81-4570294D4911.jpegattachicon.gif4C37BDCF-A2B6-4A20-B754-058E70133036.jpegattachicon.gif15E3BCCF-3DF6-4C44-BECA-2519962CD9E2.jpeg

What superb engaging scenes in these photos - there's just so much going on in the stage that merits being stared at. Bristol is my adopted home and the 'what must have it been like' question is constantly in my mind. Your model answers some of those questions beautifully. Bravo!

• Like 2

In a couple of the photos featured in ‘Midland Record’ No 30 there is a grounded coach body, apparently relegated for some sort of storage. I just about have the room for something like it, so I’m trying a bit of an experiment. This first shot is of a wooden ‘blank’ which will form the basis of the body, which I’m imagining has been severely truncated in its condemned state to fit the site.

post-31608-0-74715600-1547906049_thumb.jpeg

The idea being that I will clad this with two layers of plasticard. I don’t need to worry about windows as they will be portrayed as blocked in. I’ve drawn the end and partial side on Autocad and transferred the images onto the plasticard with my favoured nail varnish remover method. One layer will have the windows cut out, the thinner top layer will have the panelling cut out.

post-31608-0-28586300-1547906282_thumb.jpeg

And here it is with the base layer stuck on.

post-31608-0-88931400-1547906319_thumb.jpeg

I’ve yet to convince myself if the next step will be successful, which is to cut out the panelling layer and stick it over this base layer...! We shall see...

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More nice work Richard, however, I'm slightly concerned about you mentioning nail varnish remover ! 

Seems you've managed to hide your finger nails in the last shot, very wise :jester:  

G

p.s. I seem to recall that there was a well known railway modeller who actually did paint his nails ( can't remember who or why ? ) which featured in his close-up images !

In a couple of the photos featured in ‘Midland Record’ No 30 there is a grounded coach body, apparently relegated for some sort of storage. I just about have the room for something like it, so I’m trying a bit of an experiment. This first shot is of a wooden ‘blank’ which will form the basis of the body, which I’m imagining has been severely truncated in its condemned state to fit the site.

attachicon.gif8C1CA413-8FC4-4099-8814-4FBD0D9831E7.jpeg

The idea being that I will clad this with two layers of plasticard. I don’t need to worry about windows as they will be portrayed as blocked in. I’ve drawn the end and partial side on Autocad and transferred the images onto the plasticard with my favoured nail varnish remover method. One layer will have the windows cut out, the thinner top layer will have the panelling cut out.

attachicon.gif1A20BFED-FE13-45E7-A4A6-C139FA27B36F.jpeg

And here it is with the base layer stuck on.

attachicon.gif41B8DFFF-1A86-4754-81D9-3C30C9AC4A30.jpeg

I’ve yet to convince myself if the next step will be successful, which is to cut out the panelling layer and stick it over this base layer...! We shall see...

Don't forget the bolection mouldings!

Although I have shown this elsewhere its really to show how using something like a Silhouette cutter can make life simpler to achieve bolections on a scratch built model.

Doubtless you are aware of these useful tools in the modellers armoury as an aid and may possibly help if you considered one in the future  for projects ?

I have found it to be my go to now when considering cutting out bolections etc.

post-20303-0-39904800-1547917132_thumb.jpg

Grahame

edit - spilling mistaks !

Edited by bgman
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Although I have shown this elsewhere its really to show how using something like a Silhouette cutter can make life simpler to achieve bolections on a scratch built model.

Doubtless you are aware of these useful tools in the modellers armoury as an aid and may possibly help if you considered one in the future  for projects ?

attachicon.gifIMG_4944.jpg

Grahame

My effort will be nowhere near as good as that! Still, I’m telling myself it’s in a decrepit state to explain why it’s been condemned! I have plans to get a laser cutter at some point this year which will be incredibly useful for Monk’s Gate Models!

The nail varnish remover is purely for transferring ink...! Honest.

Don't forget the bolection mouldings![/quote

Already forgotten I’m afraid! Will be covered by rough planks...from when they took the glazing out and to improve ‘security’.

In other words, more ‘make-it-up-as-I-go-along’.

• Like 1

My effort will be nowhere near as good as that! Still, I’m telling myself it’s in a decrepit state to explain why it’s been condemned! I have plans to get a laser cutter at some point this year which will be incredibly useful for Monk’s Gate Models!

The nail varnish remover is purely for transferring ink...! Honest.

A laser cutter will be a real bonus for your lovely craftsmanship and certainly take what you currently produce to another level I'm sure.

I took the easier way out as unfortunately I don't have anywhere to house a laser cutter, but when put to use for modelling purposes they are an excellent tool. I did have the good fortune to use one many years ago and was very impressed.

Its only down to your imagination as to what can be practically produced.

G

attachicon.gifIMG_4944.jpg

Grahame

Hi Grahame - a couple of questions for you as I always feel like I'm lagging slightly behind on the subject of the latest tools!

So I looked up 'silhouette cutter' online and was curious to see if it was the sort of tool you use - what I believe is the sort of plotter-type device that are used by sign-makers to cut vinyl film:

1) Can they handle cutting styrene sheet of the type that I'm familiar with from model making?

2) Are you able to cut from the sort of A4 / A3 sized sheet I buy from model suppliers?

3) What thickness of styrene can they handle?

Sorry if these are noddy questions but I'm very impressed by the results on the decorative mouldings on your carriage body and can see lots of potential for making architectural features etc.

PS I also love the idea of a cutter than something that burns material - we have to contend with enough noxious fumes in the house as it is!!

Hi Grahame - a couple of questions for you as I always feel like I'm lagging slightly behind on the subject of the latest tools!

So I looked up 'silhouette cutter' online and was curious to see if it was the sort of tool you use - what I believe is the sort of plotter-type device that are used by sign-makers to cut vinyl film:

1) Can they handle cutting styrene sheet of the type that I'm familiar with from model making?

2) Are you able to cut from the sort of A4 / A3 sized sheet I buy from model suppliers?

Sorry if these are noddy questions but I'm very impressed by the results on the decorative mouldings on your carriage body and can see lots of potential for making architectural features etc.

PS I also love the idea of a cutter than something that burns material - we have to contend with enough noxious fumes in the house as it is!!

Have a look at this thread, it's a bit old but probably still pertinent https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

Thank you very much appreciated,

Rather than clutter up this excellent thread I will PM you.

Grahame

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

Did some more work today on the tops of the walls, adding the coping stones and railings. Also added a tarp and a partial load to the lighter. Feels like it’s starting to come together now..

attachicon.gifDE4A48FF-73BF-49E4-A9A9-E5D7320816DD.jpeg
attachicon.gif8D774C3D-3EDE-4126-B211-15510761B364.jpeg
attachicon.gifE96A9F19-D212-4D30-BFAF-A44380550CEC.jpeg
attachicon.gif585E20DD-611A-4C5A-B4E1-46726E5186EE.jpeg

Can I ask how you did the curved stones and the coping stones on your canal scene please? Im assuming the water is just a green painted base with several layers of varnish on top?

Rich

Yes, the water is murky green with loads of coats of varnish. The curved walls are lumps of softwood carved to shape and then covered in DAS which was then carved to represent the stones. The coping stones themselves are also wood, with grout lines added with a razor saw, extra surface texture being created with a scalpel, files and sandpaper.

• Like 2

I thought I’d bore you all with a blow-by-blow on making crates. The photos show firstly a drawing I produced which has ‘construction lines’ drawn on it. This is enough to produce 4 crates. It’s stuck on the back of a piece of glass and the first photo shows a start made on sticking down long strips with masking tape. In this case they’re maple ripped to about 1mm thick and then sliced into strips with a Stanley knife. Then cross strips are added with either superglue or pva. Neither really sticks to the glass. Eventually I ended up with the two halves of a crate. The contents is a scumpled up square of kitchen roll covered in very fine-weave material and stuck together with pva. This is then trapped between the two halves, glued and cramped. The last job is to add the side pieces.

The last photo is of the one that didn’t make it. This was subjected to a bit too much cramping force and collapsed. This is left exactly as it came out and will I think actually make it onto ‘Bristol’ somewhere!

post-31608-0-65197500-1548535784_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-81173400-1548535807_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-70980300-1548535825_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-72296600-1548535841_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-63812900-1548535852_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-73145800-1548535863_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-14033000-1548535874_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...