6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Excellent as always. Those wicker baskets, can I ask how you did them?

Thanks. The baskets are little sections of dowel that I roughly turned up, chopped off to length and covered with material. Another narrow strip of material was added round the base and cotton round the top. Then painted, stencilled and varnished. I’m quite pleased with the way they look saggy and used.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

These are about 15mm diameter x 7 or 8mm high. I’ll be updating my website soon with more details.

I've also been asked about salad boxes and pigeon crates. When you start to delve, the variety of goods once carried by the railways was truly staggering

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2019 at 20:52, Tricky said:

I thought I’d bore you all with a blow-by-blow on making crates.

Rich,

With the high standard of your modelling, there is never any question or boring us!  As for considering it nearly finished ... does this mean a swap back to Monks Gate for more detailing, or the creating of a third intermediate board for the location between Monks Gate and Bristol :P

Awe-struck as ever!

Rich

Hi Rich, interesting concept...!

However, you’re right, I really must get back on to Monk’s Gate. It is looking a bit sad and neglected having had so many bits and bobs looted off it for Bristol! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having noticed I’m on 666 posts, I felt the need to make that 667! So here’s a random shot of a capstan that I turned up out of a lump of Ali. It looked ok when I made it but now it’s planted it looks a bit short and stubby...I’ve got to route the rope properly as well. 

C989890F-4103-4353-AB60-D9C3F79D81D6.jpeg

• Like 18

While I'm at it, I have been struggling with paint colours of late and couldn't work out what was wrong. I've always been careful to check what something will look like once under the LED strip lights on the layout and have often been confused as to why something that looked great under natural or non-LED lighting suddenly lost 'depth' and looked flat. Then I had a light-bulb moment (no pun intended). If using black and white to make grey - it won't. Also darkening colours with black, or lighening colours with white also won't work. Under LED, black and white actually makes a bluey grey. Which whilst really good for a slate roof, not so good in other applications. The answer? Add brown (light or dark) as required to pretty much everything. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it changed my life exactly, but did give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

Probs dead obvious to everyone else....! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all...

I'm considering installing a sound system to give ambient sound. Would anyone have an idea where I might be able to source a suitable sound file? I’m imagining clanking wagons, horses, locos and shouting men; that sort of thing. Two speakers would be fantastic with a stereo effect but may be expensive to get working? I don’t know enough about it unfortunately. 

Any ideas?

• Like 2

The BBC have an archive that is probably accessible. In the olden days we used to be able to buy LP's of BBC sound effects. Nowadays I should think they're downloadable on line.

Love your articles!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tricky said:

Morning all...

I'm considering installing a sound system to give ambient sound. Would anyone have an idea where I might be able to source a suitable sound file? I’m imagining clanking wagons, horses, locos and shouting men; that sort of thing. Two speakers would be fantastic with a stereo effect but may be expensive to get working? I don’t know enough about it unfortunately. 

Any ideas?

John Brighton has some lovely ambient sounds on his Millhouses layout. He uses some of the old Transacord records, converted to MP3 files played on a loop.

The ones of express trains are not going to be appropriate but there is one of locos moving to and from loco sheds that has slow moving locos, the odd whistle, and lots of clanking.

So yes it can be done and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Tony Gee

Edited by t-b-g
typo!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve Cook did this on his Dungeness Siding diorama in gauge 1: simple MP3 player.

Plus also some smell effects, of seaweed.

It has been some years since it was built, but this is a great excuse for an exposition of simplicity:

P7143068_crop.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

There's lots of sounds out there to download, I made a 'Moorland Mix' for The Depots, sheep, curlews, grouse, skylarks. Mixed together using Audacity (free download). the file, about 3 min long is on an old phone and is played on repeat through a bluetooth speaker under the layout. It's not too loud but if you're at the barrier you can hear it nicely in the background.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Regularity said:

Steve Cook did this on his Dungeness Siding diorama in gauge 1: simple MP3 player.

Plus also some smell effects, of seaweed.

It has been some years since it was built, but this is a great excuse for an exposition of simplicity:

P7143068_crop.JPG

Is this diorama to be found elsewhere on RMWeb? It looks superb.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tricky said:

Is this diorama to be found elsewhere on RMWeb? It looks superb.

Don’t know: it was built ten years ago or so - I had to do a google search to find a picture.

Steve is more active on Western Thunder than on here.

The diorama also featured in MRJ 200.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the luggage compartment end of a D486 48ft lavatory third - the only diagram of square-light clerestory carriage to have a luggage compartment with a single door. In 4 mm/ft scale, the Ratio kit would be your friend. I remember travelling down the WCML somewhere around Warrington c. 1988, on the right-hand side one could get a glimpse of another section of square-light clerestory carriage in use as some sort of hut or even garden shed. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1