“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Hi there.

Grommets are a rubber seal that fits around anything that is fitted into sheet metal some are round although not all are. It's purpose is to either prevent water ingress or to prevent pipes and cables from rubbing or both. Think old school windscreen seal rubbers that have an internal and external groove but smaller and they serve the same purpose.

Regards Lez.Z.  :senile:

A grommet is a very small tube that's inserted into your child's ear during surgery. It can help drain away fluid in the middle ear and maintain air pressure.

• RMweb Premium

For the class 26s we have the current options on the menu...

Number 1 end;

• Main cab front windows - original, class 27 style
  • Small centre window - original, class 27 style
  • Head code discs
  • Nose doors removed
  • Beading above windows
  • Beading below windows
  • Snow ploughs
  • Head lamps, double/ single
  • Buffers, round/ oval
  • Cab side windows, original drop/ full depth sliding/ reduced depth sliding
  • Door windows, blanked off, doors from other locos
  • Body side windows/ holes
Repeat for Number 2 end (which may be different to Number 1 end)

We are only nudging the iceberg here.

What other variation's are there?

Just goes to show the value in having good photos of the locos you intend to model. Have you decided which ones they'll be; are you starting with the ones you copped on your Inverness visit?

When it comes to class 26 detailing, this thread is well worth a read:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4161

• Like 1

Its missing a number of key details like.... the discs are hash up, but there was so much corrosion in the yellow ends compromises had to be made unfortunately, its also not possible to re-instate the tablet catcher on a dual brake fitted 26 as the FV4 valve is in the way....

Did carry that configuration in the late 70s, granted with the water tank still present, but that livery was carried with the arrows on the door and the D number, dont worry though the correct doors are planned to be returned and possibly snowploughs and TOPS numbers re-instated, provided the major repairs required dont take too much time and go to plan! Might sound good but produces a bit too much smoke for my liking...... yes the beading has been removed due to excessive corrosion above the cab windows....when the ends are replated that and possibly the west highland lamps may be re-instated but that requires the movement of an Air tank, and that all a long way off.... Windows have never changed on 26s, they dont use a "fillet" on the seal so the seals are larger.

The livery is due to a "1976"policy applied at the gloucestershire warwickshire railway" it would be back in civils if i had my way.....

As regards the doors....they were not blanked off 26s were given entirely new doors on refurbishment, the original doors were discarded, 26043 current carries a set of ex 33 doors, the doors it carried at the end are made entirely of wood with a fibreglass skin.

If you need to take a closer look at it for moddeling purposes do drop me a line...

10816599023_45eb7b4fed.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to post an interesting and informative post. I'm hoping it doesn't come across as critising '43', I'm not, it's a pleasure to see and hear her run. I'm just purely trying to establish all of the detail differences surrounding both the class 26 and 27s.

When you say the windows didn't change, they look different on this pair at the bottom of the post. This is the bit I'm trying to get my head round. Did they change them to class 27 style later on?

I'm guessing your involved in said loco?

Hi Damian,

26/0s also had oval buffers when built and different bogie springs. But by the 80s some had round buffers and some loco's had bogie swaps and were running with later bogies.

Cheers Peter.

As I understand it the initial batch of 20 had oval buffers, with the main production batch switching to round and any combination thereafter as bits were swapped around?

Just goes to show the value in having good photos of the locos you intend to model. Have you decided which ones they'll be; are you starting with the ones you copped on your Inverness visit?

When it comes to class 26 detailing, this thread is well worth a read:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4161

Yes Mark I've decided on an initial shortlist which was based on PCM Pete's list of loco's allocated to IS in 1983 and the ones of those I spotted on my trip up there in the same year.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for taking the time to post an interesting and informative post. I'm hoping it doesn't come across as critising '43', I'm not, it's a pleasure to see and hear her run. I'm just purely trying to establish all of the detail differences surrounding both the class 26 and 27s.

I'm guessing your involved in said loco?

Im secretary of the CMDG (owning group of 26043 and 45149) and im in charge of 26043s restoration and operations, and i look after 45149s electrical systems.

I also drive it on the GWR and when it goes out to visit other lines i often go to make sure it behaves itself, ill be at the GCR this friday....

Criticism is always welcome indomitable :) trust ive said far worse about it, while trying to shoe horn two new traction motors into it, it can be a right royal pain in the bum!!!

Scotrail did a lot of strange things to 26s, most of them internal but there were an awful lot of "bodges" in the latter years i think you have got most of the differences, the only ones i think may be missed is i seem to recall some only carried two piece snowploughs, and i dont think the early 26s had the gravity catches on the battery box drawers either.... also note on the battery boxes some have the XX on the side the box where if you look at 26043 its a plain box which you can see when you compare a picture of 26043 to 26037, the beading below the windows is another area where there were changes, and also extra lamp irons on the front.

Edited by pheaton

Im secretary of the CMDG (owning group of 26043 and 45149) and im in charge of 26043s restoration and operations, and i look after 45149s electrical systems.

I also drive it on the GWR and when it goes out to visit other lines i often go to make sure it behaves itself, ill be at the GCR this friday....

Criticism is always welcome indomitable :) trust ive said far worse about it, while trying to shoe horn two new traction motors into it, it can be a right royal pain in the bum!!!

Scotrail did a lot of strange things to 26s, most of them internal but there were an awful lot of "bodges" in the latter years i think you have got most of the differences, the only ones i think may be missed is i seem to recall some only carried two piece snowploughs, and i dont think the early 26s had the gravity catches on the battery box drawers either.... also note on the battery boxes some have the XX on the side the box where if you look at 26043 its a plain box which you can see when you compare a picture of 26043 to 26037, the beading below the windows is another area where there were changes, and also extra lamp irons on the front.

Excellent,

'43' is not on my initial list of locos to model but I may have to include her now...

cheers.

As I understand it the initial batch of 20 had oval buffers, with the main production batch switching to round and any combination thereafter as bits were swapped around?

That would be about right. As far as i know the 26/1s didn't ever get oval buffers or the earlier bogies with different style springs. Where some of  the 26/0s gained later bogies I presume from withdrawn class 27s and 26/1s. The oval buffers would have been replaced as and when they failed I guess. 

Cheers Peter.

When it comes to class 26 detailing, this thread is well worth a read:https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4161

Yikes.

I'm not sure I'm up for detailing to that extent, he's making an excellent job of that.

I'll have to have a think on what mods I can sensibly do, bearing in mind I need a few.

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to have a think on what mods I can sensibly do, bearing in mind I need a few.

It's certainly a world away from the one I converted from a Lima class 33 years ago!!

The modifications to the radiator grilles look like they will make a significant difference. The bogies and underframe are probably the other areas I'd focus on.

On a Bo-Bo I'd consider sprung bogies a nice to have rather than a need to have.

Food for thought when I get round to doing something with my class 27 though.

It's certainly a world away from the one I converted from a Lima class 33 years ago!!

The modifications to the radiator grilles look like they will make a significant difference. The bogies and underframe are probably the other areas I'd focus on.

On a Bo-Bo I'd consider sprung bogies a nice to have rather than a need to have.

Is your 27 on 'my list' ?

Mark,

Just saw your comment about springing these locos in P4. I agree that it isn't necessary but it does make them move more like an 80-odd ton loco. I did one of the Penbits ones like Jon020's (see Locos for Lochinver on S4 Forum)and as well as being a challenge it gives you a very surefooted loco.

Jeremy

Edited by jbg

• RMweb Premium

Mark,

Just saw your comment about springing these locos in P4. I agree that it isn't necessary but it does make them move more like an 80-odd ton loco. I did one of the Penbits ones like Jon020's (see Locos for Lochinver on S4 Forum)and as well as being a challenge it gives you a very surefooted loco.

Jeremy

Agreed. I've used Penbits bogies on an EM class 47 and found them to be an excellent product, well designed and perform faultlessly with noticeably better running. It took me a while to do though; not a criticism, but I think most of us have to be realistic about how we prioritise our time.

Personally I'd focus on sprung bogies for any Co-Cos that are required first, particularly as Bachmann 37 and 47 can be troublesome in P4. If time and money were not an issue, I'd spring everything.

• Like 2

What year did the Stags appear?

As far as I'm aware, dogs started in '81 on 37's and spread to other locos shortly after. In '83 Inverness joined in with the stag with Motherwell and Haymarket adding Salmon and Castles respectively in '84. By 1985 they were pretty common on all classes.

I will also follow this with interest.....there was something about Scottish class 26's,27's,37's etc.....

I remember my first visit to Inverness....on a Merrymaker trip from Newcastle in June 1982 behind 47289.

On arrival at Inverness half of the passengers on the train suddenly descended on the depot and as the majority of Scottish depots were always friendly we all got round - there must have been 200 of us!!

I really must dig the photos out......and the log of engine numbers that day.

Happy memories....

• Like 1

Right the, a little more thinking required today. We've nearly got to the point of an agreed plan.

This is it, without the building and front frame mock ups.

post-8734-0-64960100-1505557247_thumb.jpg

Dimensions are 64 inches (1625mm) by 20 inches (508mm).

I better check it fits in the car before I go much further..

• Like 2

Right the, a little more thinking required today. We've nearly got to the point of an agreed plan.

This is it, without the building and front frame mock ups.

attachicon.gifmockup25.jpg

Dimensions are 64 inches (1625mm) by 20 inches (508mm).

I better check it fits in the car before I go much further..

Nope, it didn't fit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Another two inches off the length should do it.

• Like 1

Looks good damian,

Will the track go into the shed shed? or stop outside like the Pic above.

Cheers Peter.

Track will go in and I'll probably model the pit if you can see it. The track is under the building plan as they were printed separately, however I need to straighten out that road so its parallel with the building side.