“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that you are still doing a bit!

I have recently completed a commission build for part of the depot building (washing road) and have quite a few photos amassed. I made a drawing, if you are interested.

P2170013.JPG

P2170027.JPG

P2170007.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Good to see that you are still doing a bit!

I have recently completed a commission build for part of the depot building (washing road) and have quite a few photos amassed. I made a drawing, if you are interested.

P2170013.JPG

P2170027.JPG

P2170007.JPG

Bizzarly similar to the scene we’re doing here. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

2nd stockrail in place and I’ve also cut the sleepers for the adjoining point.

85FA7EE9-8C73-4C26-811E-5F857A42EFB3.jpeg.a7e806b87e27c9f21a6354cb78b6defc.jpeg

I need to cut the slot out for the switchblade droppers before I stick these down.

Just drill two holes, one by each stock rail rather than cutting slots

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

I’ve not posted on here for ages, well, more than a year by the looks of it.

There’s no progress to report on the layout except the purchase of three wagons - i’ll dig them out in a bit and take a few pictures of them.

I’ve been doing a little more research in the evenings - it’s interesting, it’s always worth revisiting the same search’s from time to time as new things turn up - presumably as people are constantly uploading new (old) things. I”ll start posting picture links on here as I find new items.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 01/04/2020 at 16:36, Mark Forrest said:

Never mind all that; you mentioned having got some wagons - what did you get?  ;)

I’ll post some at the weekend, in the meantime I need some advice on 4 wheel tank wagons.

What type were generally used just prior to the TTA type appearing?

Theres one in the background of this picture...

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’ll post some at the weekend, in the meantime I need some advice on 4 wheel tank wagons.

What type were generally used just prior to the TTA type appearing?

Theres one in the background of this picture...

The origins of the 45T GLW tanks (TTA) can be traced back to the mid-60s. Vac braked versions were around early enough to be steam hauled.

I think what you are looking at in the photo is a 35T GLW tank, possibly one of these:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essobtankwagonvb

As you'll see from Paul's photos, they seem to have been fairly regularly found at depots.

In kit form, the starting point is the old Airfix (now Dapol) kit.  RTR from Heljan.  Have to admit I'm not that clued up on the detail differences.  If you go down the Heljan route, be careful which you buy as they do them in 4mm and 7mm scale :)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

The origins of the 45T GLW tanks (TTA) can be traced back to the mid-60s. Vac braked versions were around early enough to be steam hauled.

I think what you are looking at in the photo is a 35T GLW tank, possibly one of these:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essobtankwagonvb

As you'll see from Paul's photos, they seem to have been fairly regularly found at depots.

In kit form, the starting point is the old Airfix (now Dapol) kit.  RTR from Heljan.  Have to admit I'm not that clued up on the detail differences.  If you go down the Heljan route, be careful which you buy as they do them in 4mm and 7mm scale :)

Found one...