“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

37 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Maybe raise the mainline slightly so you can still include the wall between it and the fuel road?

The wall I mentioned is between the fuel road and the fuel delivery siding behind.

Not keen on hacking boards at this stage - yes if I’d realised at the time of building the boards but I think it’s too late now.

Plus, as a P4 new-bee, I’m not keen on any further complications.

• Like 1

Just sayin....

If you brought the top fascia lights a few inches forward from the frame of the scene, they would then illuminate the very front parts of the layout...

Its better than having the sun shine upwards

but as I said its just a idea....you are better at this game than me ......

9 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Just sayin....

If you brought the top fascia lights a few inches forward from the frame of the scene, they would then illuminate the very front parts of the layout...

Its better than having the sun shine upwards

but as I said its just a idea....you are better at this game than me ......

I’d tend to agree, I’ll try that as well.

Andy Y and Mark F have been discussing light boxes - an idea I may well have to nick....

Nothing’s set in stone, I’ll be experimenting, let’s see where we get to...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’d tend to agree, I’ll try that as well.

Andy Y and Mark F have been discussing light boxes - an idea I may well have to nick....

Nothing’s set in stone, I’ll be experimenting, let’s see where we get to...

With Fryers, I initially had a lighting pelmet that ran along the front of the layout but faced the same problem of the stock right at the front of the layout being in shadow.  I ended up moving the lights out further in front of the layout so there is now a self contained fascia approx 100mm deep that sits forward of the layout.

2020-12-01_09-06-41.jpg.04388590091d7ff3151f26ab8c1ee3d2.jpg

The lights are fixed along the top and the "control panel" (if you can call it that) is integrated into one end of the fascia.  It does leave a bit of a shelf along the front of the layout which seems to accumulate half built wagons.

Overall I'd say I'm happy with this set up, but will be interesting to see how you get on with some ground level lighting.

2020-12-01_09-07-46.jpg.c9bc63d31ddfc399244eb61df8c99eb7.jpg

I've recently installed  a 12v, 30w LED panel above my workbench and am very impressed with it.  I'm toying with the idea of using these mounted to a lid above the layout in future, although the problem of getting light far enough out front of the layout would remain - although I've deliberately avoided having track as close to the front on the next layout.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

With Fryers, I initially had a lighting pelmet that ran along the front of the layout but faced the same problem of the stock right at the front of the layout being in shadow.  I ended up moving the lights out further in front of the layout so there is now a self contained fascia approx 100mm deep that sits forward of the layout.

2020-12-01_09-06-41.jpg.04388590091d7ff3151f26ab8c1ee3d2.jpg

The lights are fixed along the top and the "control panel" (if you can call it that) is integrated into one end of the fascia.  It does leave a bit of a shelf along the front of the layout which seems to accumulate half built wagons.

Overall I'd say I'm happy with this set up, but will be interesting to see how you get on with some ground level lighting.

2020-12-01_09-07-46.jpg.c9bc63d31ddfc399244eb61df8c99eb7.jpg

I've recently installed  a 12v, 30w LED panel above my workbench and am very impressed with it.  I'm toying with the idea of using these mounted to a lid above the layout in future, although the problem of getting light far enough out front of the layout would remain - although I've deliberately avoided having track as close to the front on the next layout.

Any chance of a look at your box?....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

The light box....

There isn't much to see, to be honest, but here goes...

20201201_165447.jpg.1fb612fdde1afc68150364aae14c0352.jpg

That's lite by a single 600x300 LED panel.  These panels are intended for fitting in suspended ceilings although this one was sold as surface mount so has a metal surround that suspends it from the shelf above the workbench. I think that something like a single1200x300 or two 600x300 would suit a layout the size of Fryers quite well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

There isn't much to see, to be honest, but here goes...

20201201_165447.jpg.1fb612fdde1afc68150364aae14c0352.jpg

That's lite by a single 600x300 LED panel.  These panels are intended for fitting in suspended ceilings although this one was sold as surface mount so has a metal surround that suspends it from the shelf above the workbench. I think that something like a single1200x300 or two 600x300 would suit a layout the size of Fryers quite well.

Ok

Looks like I’m going to have to imagine what the box looks like...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Ok

Looks like I’m going to have to imagine what the box looks like...

It's really not that exciting.  Imagine four rectangles of chipboard (it's a short of extension unit for some old cupboards that I scrounged off @2ManySpams).  The top (which the light fixes beneath) is 800x400 and two sides which are 400x400 and a back panel that's slightly smaller than the top, all of which form an open box that sits on some old kitchen worktop.  One day the 800x400 area above it might even become home to a micro layout/test track, but that's another story...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tonight’s update.

I’ve ordered various items from Scalefour society stores with a view to forming my own switches and crossings;

- Crossing V jig

- Switch jig

- Flangeway gauge

- Mint gauge

I’ve also got to build a jig to assist with the assembly of the crossing.

I’ve also threaded some chairs on the rail on the wash road and tried to stick them down. I say tried....

• Like 1