“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

21 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Tonight’s update.

I’ve ordered various items from Scalefour society stores with a view to forming my own switches and crossings;

- Crossing V jig

- Switch jig

- Flangeway gauge

- Mint gauge

I’ve also got to build a jig to assist with the assembly of the crossing.

I’ve also threaded some chairs on the rail on the wash road and tried to stick them down. I say tried....

I’ve just checked - they have stuck!

0D7459C8-C4C6-48E3-9960-D1E07CB08F7F.jpeg.b645fc10c73bf322e44e0de6c7e6b14b.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Chair threading tonight - yawn!

I’ve done this for years, may be wrongly, using just my fingers. It’s a blinking faff!

If anyone’s got some tips or techniques and wish to share them - please make my night! 

I’ve threaded chairs on to about 50’ of track so far and haven’t been able to find a better way of doing it... 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Chair threading tonight - yawn!

I’ve done this for years, may be wrongly, using just my fingers. It’s a blinking faff!

If anyone’s got some tips or techniques and wish to share them - please make my night! 

Get someone else to do it while you crack on with something sifferent!

Roja

• Funny 1

It is still "with fingers" but

when I was younger (and could still see to do such things) I put the rail on and over the edge of a box (wooden cigarillo, I think but thats not important) and fed the chairs on to the sticky out rail end.

It did at least keep the rail sort of in the right place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

don't tell him that, the layout will never get built!

This layout WILL get built, besides, I don’t need many wagons...

Mind you, when the Ransomes & Rapier crane arrives, that may well be a distraction - particularly the re-wheeling...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

This layout WILL get built, besides, I don’t need many wagons...

Mind you, when the Ransomes & Rapier crane arrives, that may well be a distraction - particularly the re-wheeling...

At least you are making more progress than i am on my layout building!

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

At least you are making more progress than i am on my layout building!

Phew.

Looking through the earlier posts, this project has been on pause a couple of years, it’s amazing where the time goes...

I guess like most things modelling occurs in fits and starts - the main thing is you have to be up for it and in the right frame of mind. If not you’re just wasting your time.

It’ll come around again...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’m sure that does work - for wagon production!

Thanks for your help.

To be fair I did say "start building", wagon production implies a level of completer-finisher that I'm unfamiliar with.

Must admit, when I saw those photos with all that lovely parcels stock, it did cross my mind that you appear to be modelling the wrong side of the line. 

Track is looking good, all this activity did actually inspire me to thread a few chairs onto a length of rail this week - keep up the good work and I might even file myself some switch blades before Christmas!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mark Forrest said:

To be fair I did say "start building", wagon production implies a level of completer-finisher that I'm unfamiliar with.

Must admit, when I saw those photos with all that lovely parcels stock, it did cross my mind that you appear to be modelling the wrong side of the line. 

Track is looking good, all this activity did actually inspire me to thread a few chairs onto a length of rail this week - keep up the good work and I might even file myself some switch blades before Christmas!

Me moaning about chair threading has inspired you to - chair thread...

ha ha

• Like 2

The first picture above shows the crossing, on the right hand end of the wing rail the fitted chair  by the joint is shown with the key nearest the joint ,it should be facing away from the joint so the fishplate can fit in between the two chairs that make the joint between the wingrail and closure rail

On the real railway you wouldn't be able to fit the key in the position you have it in.

geoff

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1