“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Here's all three of my new purchases. An earlier style than I needed but with them having everything on I can work through and take off the bits I don't need - well that's the theory. The tablet catcher recesses will obviously need plating over for starters. They are already P4 and have come with detailing parts separately.

post-8734-0-00256400-1506242020_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-45893000-1506242021_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-07547000-1506242023_thumb.jpg

Thanks to a fellow RMWeber for getting touch over them and making them available to me.

Enjoyed Scaleforum, in particular the Minories, Dewsbury Great Northern and Mount Woodville Works

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

'Slightly' better shots off my SLR.

attachicon.gifCLASS26-6.jpg

attachicon.gifCLASS26-7.jpg

attachicon.gifCLASS26-8.jpg

Thank goodness my livelihood doesn't rely on photography and I'm meant to be gardening...

Just come in from the garden myself after a 5hr battle with nature. Does it cancel out if I've done gardening instead of modelling and you've done modelling instead of gardening? Now off to buy some fish.

I've been messing around a bit with lighting effects.

I've shone some extra light straight at the side of the loco's which is helping pick out the under-frame and bogie detail a lot more. I think this demonstrates why I need ground level lighting on the layout.

post-8734-0-60481400-1506263712_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-26262500-1506263746_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-47500600-1506263776_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-59418100-1506263805_thumb.jpg

Photos are a little blurred as I'm using time lapse on my SLR and the tripod is stood on spongy carpet! - but you get the idea..

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the shiny black plastic they use helps. These respond really well to a dry brushing which helps the detail pop out a bit more.

Another simple mod (which I've fine on mine) is to cut off the coil springs and remount them further back attached to a block of plastic. This gives the bogie side frames more depth.

I don't think the shiny black plastic they use helps. These respond really well to a dry brushing which helps the detail pop out a bit more.

Another simple mod (which I've fine on mine) is to cut off the coil springs and remount them further back attached to a block of plastic. This gives the bogie side frames more depth.

Yes, I guess I was trying to work out the lighting problem for the 'worst case' , but yes agree that once knocked back with matt vanish and weathering will be more photogenic .

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right then, with the garden almost under control and this years cider underway my conscience is clear enough to recommence board construction.

After a bit of time catching up with where we got to previously I've started assembling the main baseboard.

post-8734-0-84800800-1509272324_thumb.jpg

I used to construct things at a million miles an hour, but now with age realise the virtues of pacing myself;

• Glue joint
  • Clamp
  • Check alignment
  • Photograph 'progress'
  • Drink tea
  • Post pic on RMWeb
  • Drink tea
  • Get distracted by other threads...

Repeat sequence - steady away !

• Like 6

Here the second and third corners are assembled, glued and clamped into place.

post-8734-0-40878600-1509278470_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-60336700-1509278471_thumb.jpg

The plywood sheets I used for this project are only 4 feet long (that was the maximum length I needed for my currently paused L&B project). However this baseboard is 5 foot something, so I've had to join two pieces to get the overall length - you can see the joint where the single clamp is. Similarly the baseboard top will be two pieces with the joint in the middle.

• Like 2

Now I'm adding small fillets to provide a surface to fix the top board to.

It is important these are dead level with the top of the adjoining plywood to ensure a flat top board.

That is where  I find some sanding can come in handy ;)