“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

This shows what I mean, even though it is a contemporary map. The long thin building to the north of the station avoiding line is the carriage depot. Immediately to the north of it is the sidings where the photo of 37114 was taken. I have some shots taken from an identical position.

attachicon.gifIMG_2387.PNG

If any of your shots have any parts of the main building in, that would be most useful.

I'm trying to piece together what the side of the building looked like.

Guest eddie reffin

It is round the back of the carriage maintenance shed - built in the 1980's - where employees could park their cars on the gravel along the entire length of the building. IIRC access was via Rose Street level crossing (at the end of the Far North platforms and just to the north of the triangle).

Yes, thats no 6 road which is out the back of the CSMD. It is still in regular use as are no7 and 8 roads. There are plans to extend them all slightly for the arrival of the HSTs.

The current fuel bay is also getting extended to accommodate 3 car units. We currently have a temporary fuel bay in the harbour road- was formerly the branch. If I get a chance later, I'll try and get some pics. 

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Must stop look at this thread, I'm developing a bit of a liking for 37114 in ex-works large logo...

https://flic.kr/p/k7sWJ4

https://flic.kr/p/qk9SdN

and a little more used, but still pre-naming:

16953519305_572f828dd0_b.jpg37114 Kyle of Lochalsh by Chris Williams Photography, on Flickr

15389402374_21d69c5aed_b.jpgInverness LFP by Ian Cowieson, on Flickr

• Like 5

So my pic would have been the other side of the triangle. I never did actually get round the depot so used to walk up the car park and get what i could. 

I took this pic when I was over last year, so presume I was near the same spot though looking right not left. The erea has certainly changed a bit over the years but at least a depot is still there.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-45777500-1502717860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Must stop look at this thread, I'm developing a bit of a liking for 37114 in ex-works large logo...

16953519305_572f828dd0_b.jpg37114 Kyle of Lochalsh by Chris Williams Photography, on Flickr

Cooorrrwwwhhh

Split box machine - you know you want too...

Need to have a think about what I'm doing with my 37s. I seem to have acquired quite a few and they all need a fair bit of work doing to them.

Going back a few years I can definitely relate to that!

I couldn't even quote now how many I have for DitD including spares and parts.

Nice to see this thread revived and good luck with the new project. Brings back happy memories of visits to Inverness in the 80s.

I managed to catch 37114 ex-works at Kyle of Lochalsh. 

post-7898-0-97354700-1502724428_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-92656700-1502724448_thumb.jpg

On my first visit in 1981  Class 26 double-headers were the order of the day!

post-7898-0-88391900-1502724698_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-23968100-1502724728_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If I ever modelled something Scottish then the Kyle of Lochalsh would be right at the top of my list. Love that scene in the photo you posted Mark.

• Like 1

Nice to see this thread revived and good luck with the new project. Brings back happy memories of visits to Inverness in the 80s.

I managed to catch 37114 ex-works at Kyle of Lochalsh. 

attachicon.gif37114 at Kyle of Lochalsh.jpg

attachicon.gif37114 'Dunrobin Castle' at Kyle of Lochalsh.jpg

On my first visit in 1981  Class 26 double-headers were the order of the day!

attachicon.gif26040 & 26026 at Inverness.jpg

attachicon.gif26021 & 26023 at Inverness.jpg

Mal

Ok,

I have a windscreen question.

I've never been able to work out the difference between the windscreens on 26s and 27s. In fact your picture seams to show a 26 with 27 style windscreens, i.e. black rubber surrounds..

Were they different?

Did they change the surrounds on the 26s?

• RMweb Premium

Great to see some blue Scottish diesel stuff going on!  :danced:  Memories of a good holiday back in the mid 1980s. 

In my dream mansion with a layout in every room, a project based on the Kyle line would occupy a room, maybe something based on Achnasheen. The real world means that my modelling has to be more in line with available time and depth of pocket.  :nono:

Good luck with this one Damien, following with great interest.

• RMweb Premium

Ok,

I have a windscreen question.

I've never been able to work out the difference between the windscreens on 26s and 27s. In fact your picture seams to show a 26 with 27 style windscreens, i.e. black rubber surrounds..

Were they different?

Did they change the surrounds on the 26s?

Until you mentioned this when we were talking about them a few weeks ago, I'd never noticed the difference, but I see it now, a much thick rubber seal on the 27 'screens.

Looking through the 26s here, the ones with 27-style seals seem to be predominantly late '80s onward which would support the theory of component recovery from withdrawn 27s.

Note that 26028 appears to have all three screens replaced, whereas 26042 hasn't had the small screen changed.

To confuse things further it looks like some of the 27s had their rubber seals painted yellow, like 27201

My guess is that seals on a 27 were better so were reused to improve the 26s when they became available from withdrawn 27s.

• Like 1

Until you mentioned this when we were talking about them a few weeks ago, I'd never noticed the difference, but I see it now, a much thick rubber seal on the 27 'screens.

Looking through the 26s here, the ones with 27-style seals seem to be predominantly late '80s onward which would support the theory of component recovery from withdrawn 27s.

Note that 26028 appears to have all three screens replaced, whereas 26042 hasn't had the small screen changed.

To confuse things further it looks like some of the 27s had their rubber seals painted yellow, like 27201

My guess is that seals on a 27 were better so were reused to improve the 26s when they became available from withdrawn 27s.

27201 doesn't look like a runner in this shot.

Could be wrong...

• RMweb Gold

So what is the difference between a 26 and 27? they look the same to me, Chris's diesel recognition course didn't cover these tiny details. Now a J26 and J27 started out different, having different boilers but by BR days were basically the same machine.

So what is the difference between a 26 and 27? they look the same to me, Chris's diesel recognition course didn't cover these tiny details. Now a J26 and J27 started out different, having different boilers but by BR days were basically the same machine.

Yep, you're right.

The really obvious difference is that the 27s were built with roof-mounted 4-character headcode boxes, whereas the 26s had headcode discs.  Although the latter were removed after the display of headcodes was discontinued (circa 1976?) the 27s could still be identified by the headcode boxes with "domino" markers.   See examples in http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/locopicturegallery.htm.   Less obvious is the difference in power unit - 26s were 1160bhp and 27s were 1250bhp - in much the same way as the 24s and 25s.

HTH.

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT

• RMweb Premium

Are you going for an Iain Rice cameo style presentation? Curved backscene in the corners, high track height and integral sides top and back?

I can see the merit in doing so for quick set up and pack away times.

Are you going for an Iain Rice cameo style presentation? Curved backscene in the corners, high track height and integral sides top and back?

I can see the merit in doing so for quick set up and pack away times.

I thought about putting the layout in the cameo competition on here but then realised I'm incapable of following any rules and don't need a deadline.

But yes it'll get the full presentation treatment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought about putting the layout in the cameo competition on here but then realised I'm incapable of following any rules and don't need a deadline.

But yes it'll get the full presentation treatment.

The competition rules seem to change anyway to suit the moaning masses. I'm finding having no deadline quite liberating as long as you manage the work induced periods of 'can't be arsed'.

Here are a few more 26s and, for comparison, a few 27s at Inverness.

My personal favourite locos were the 26s with headcode discs, headlights and snowploughs,  as per 26032 in the first pic. 

post-7898-0-24082800-1502787069_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-79659300-1502787111_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-65692100-1502787192_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-91967800-1502787221_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Damian,

A mate of mine gave me this mag a few weeks ago. Nice little section on Inverness depot, might be worth having a look.

My favourite class 37 back in the day was this beast.

Cheers Peter

post-7022-0-41437400-1502792691_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-55597300-1502792741_thumb.jpg

• Like 5