“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Now I’m sticking down the plan line that comes off the toe of the point. This is quite sharp curve and will require a check rail as per prototype.

post-8734-0-08718900-1537106139_thumb.jpeg

post-8734-0-42343000-1537106180_thumb.jpeg

Note at the bottom of the second picture I’ve adapted the ready to lay sleepers by cutting one chair off and replacing it with a check rail chair. The sleepers will be laid by threading through one chair only and glued down to the board getting the alignment from my curved jig. The check rail chairs will then be threaded on the main running rail and glued to the sleepers to gauge. Lastly the check rail will be threaded through.

That’s the theory, i’ve never tried it before...

• Like 2

Looking good, like the idea of modifying the fast track base to take a check chair.

Great news about the possibility of a suitable 24/1 from SLW; also good to see track components getting closer to being easy to obtain again: https://exactoscale.com

On the check rail, I think the troublesome bit will be pulling the check rail through all the installed check chairs at the end with the outer rails already in place.

Ah well, it’s got two chances...

Yes the prospect of the Scottish 24/1 has caused me to back date to include the 70s.

And agree good news on Exactoscale, I’ve only got enough components for two points (total 5) and about a third of the plain line.

• Like 1

A bit more activity.

I’ve lined the pit walls with embossed bricks and put two strips on top to represent concrete. The chairs will sit on that.

I’ve also put the remaining sleepers on by threading the rail through the outer chair. The inner chairs are missing. The whole lot has been stuck down after some fiddling to get the alignment right.

post-8734-0-01181700-1537289675_thumb.jpeg

post-8734-0-63519100-1537289780_thumb.jpeg

The next job when the sleepers have dried in place will be to thread the check rail chairs on.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

If the curve is tight enough to require a checkrail it might be worthwhile using triangular gauges to introduce a little gauge widening. Make sure the gauge is only gripping the rail head though, if they are the type which hold the rail upright the inclination in the chairs can result in it being tight to gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Youd be better off using the ring marked version of those gauges Damian, they are giving you gauge narrowing round a curve, and as a blatant plug, someone sitting not too far from me will have 2 sets for sale at S4um! Also, as Mark says, use a triangular gauge, some of which will be there also!!

Mike.

Youd be better off using the ring marked version of those gauges Damian, they are giving you gauge narrowing round a curve, and as a blatant plug, someone sitting not too far from me will have 2 sets for sale at S4um! Also, as Mark says, use a triangular gauge, some of which will be there also!!

Mike.

It’s not as tight as it looks (60 inch radius) however I am.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a few photos of Inverness 26s on this thread some time ago. I have now found a few more and thought they may be of interest.

My first sighting of a class 26. I entered Inverness station on the 17th September 1981 to the wonderful sight and sounds of these two 26s. I think the leading loco maybe 26038.

post-7898-0-79158100-1538734607_thumb.jpg

26021 & 26023

post-7898-0-28617700-1538734649_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-26117700-1538734669_thumb.jpg

Your track work looks great, following with interest.

Mal

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Um last post October 2018, I thought hope Damian is ok! Of course he is you just have to track him down.

A great read these  34 pages as all your builds are.

Found you have taken on BCB and been over there reading that.

Hope to see this completed one day.

Good stuff as always.

Cheers 

Ade